Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photos: Get Gusto 5K (Read 21 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO

I am Scott aka Scottydog, runner since 1983, cancer survivor, retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run, hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports With Photos, and my thanks to all the people I interacted with for their graciousness and good humor in letting me take photos of them.

The Details

• My 42nd race of 2014.  Held on July 12, 2014.
    • Put on by local Carrera Races, this event is part of the Gusto 2014 training series that leads up to the San Antonio Marathon and Half Marathon.  Runners and walkers can elect to do the whole series or choose do some of the races individually if they so desire. 
    • Held at Brooks City Base in San Antonio, which in past years was Brooks Air Force Base.
    • This event benefited the Children's Hospital of San Antonio, a cause of my heart because this is where I donate to the cancer kids there any race medals I may get .
    • Weather:  off-and-on overcast, 75 degrees at 7:30 start time, humidity in the 80s percentile, dew-point of 75.  MUGGY!
    • I ended up third in my age group with a chip time of 34:00.

BEFORE THE START

Been so long since I've been to Brooks that I had a bit of trouble finding the race spot. Thank goodness I had already picked up my bib and chip!  Arrived with about 35 minutes to go to start time (7:30 a.m) and got some pre-start photos.

One of my favorite ladies in the local racing community

The cyclists the faster lead runners followed on the course

Some of our many great volunteers out there for us

Getting ready to start

ON THE COURSE

There was a 10K and a 5K.  The 10K folks did two loops of the course, we 5K folks did one loop.

Heading toward the half-way point

Back half of the course - on the way to the finish line

The uphill we had on the way out was steep, but fairly short.  The uphill incline we had on the way to the finish was not steep, but it was long...about 1/4 mile or so (long for a slow old fart like me, lol).  SO glad to finally get to the top of that thing.  Flat from then on to the finish.  When I saw the finish line I picked up my pace a bit and finished ahead of  the guy behind me by only FIFTEEN seconds.  I found out later he was in my age group too, so I made 3rd in my AG by a very short margin.

The first place I found post-race... ..Pedernales Brewing, a very good local area craft beer brewer

Oh yeah!

This guy was quite popular too....he was serving up Bloody Mary's post-race

There were also breakfast tacos to go with the drinks...

This guy, here with his lovely lady, is the guy I finished 15 seconds ahead of.  We had a nice chat and a few laughs.  Super nice people.

My friend Virginia, Race Director (in pink) and her 'sister" and then me with Virginia.   They are just TOO beautiful to look at, so I had to blur the photo up a little to save any viewers from falling in love and getting a broken heart.   Of course, I blurred ME up for the opposite reason...didn't want to scare the heck out of small children...   (Note to self:  really need to remember to WIPE THE LENS after a race when I sweat so darn much!)

More Happy Finishers, etc....

Today was their anniversary and hubby had flowers for his lady after the finish

Winners in my age group

AG award was this cup stuffed with small goodies...modeled by my better half, Gail, who is also wearing the race shirt.  Which, in my case, is a LADIES race shirt because in my doddering old age, I marked the wrong box on the entry form, lol.  Duhhhh....

Yummy....

EPILOG

Carrera Races ALWAYS puts on great events and has great post-race goodies.  iaapweb.com did their usual great job of timing and course set up.   I had forgotten how nice it is to run out at Brooks, I will have to add this area to my regular running routes areas; which could be a problem as I already have about 100 or so running routes to choose from!   What a problem, huh?  TOO MANY running routes in my local area to choose from.     Thanks to all the volunteers, sponsors, police officer traffic control folks, etc., who were out there for us today, helping make it all happen.

Next event right after this one:  Too Hot To Handle 5K on Sunday, July 13, 2014.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Looks like a fun race.  Congrats on your 42nd race.  BTW, why was your friend wearing gloves on such a warm day?

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot

B-Plus

Looks like a fun race.  Congrats on your 42nd race.  BTW, why was your friend wearing gloves on such a warm day?

And long sleeves with a jacket wrapped around her waist?

Way to edge out the competition!

LRB

Oh yeah!

Damn that looks good!