Beginners and Beyond

Pain on outside bottom of foot (Read 90 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I keep researching on that whole plantar fasciitis but it doesn't quite describe what I felt today and Wednesday and a couple of other times over the 2-3 years of running. It isn't constant, but it feels like a nerve being pinched on the right, outside bottom of my right foot. It doesn't happen on trails.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

I was dealing with this pain for a while last week and just started putting my foot in an ice bath after every run.  It cleared up within 5 days, taking one day off completely, and running just 5 miles on either side of the rest day.  I probably iced for a total of 7 runs.

I really think it was a bruise, associated with a laziness in my stride that was causing me to land on the outside of my foot more heavily than usual (I supinate anyway).  Between the ice and concentration on my form, it's virtually pain free.

Good luck, hope this could work for you.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

Luke79

Not sure freesoul, but I hear you SIAR.  I'm pretty sure I supinate as well.  We could start a group (MJ5, where you at?).

"Hi, I'm Luke and I....um..supinate *cough*"

"HI LUKE"

Love the Half

I have no idea what it might be but here's my thought process whenever something starts hurting.

1.  Take a day or two off.  That frequently resolves the issue.

2.  If it doesn't, then ask myself whether running makes it worse.  If not, I'll just keep running.

I have run through more than a few chronic issues.  Some resolved relatively quickly, some took months, and my left hamstring has hurt for over two years.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Luke79

I have no idea what it might be but here's my thought process whenever something starts hurting.

1.  Take a day or two off.  That frequently resolves the issue.

2.  If it doesn't, then ask myself whether running makes it worse.  If not, I'll just keep running.

I have run through more than a few chronic issues.  Some resolved relatively quickly, some took months, and my left hamstring has hurt for over two years.

Sound logic.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Yeah, Wednesday it happened near the end of my 7 mile tempo, I was struggling with my form and stride, struggling to push myself like I normally do during my tempos but this last one just seemed more difficult. I think I was landing more on the outside of my foot out of exhaustion that day. Today it only really popped up around mile 4-6 while I was running on HORRIBLE, AWFUL, OLD AND HARD CONCRETE, that was uneven and just beat up, my legs were lop sided and I struggled to pick and choose where to land (not fun at all like it is on a trail). As soon as I would find my footing and stride the pain would go away, I'll try icing it though I don't know if I can handle stick my foot in a bowl/ bath of ice and water...... I will attempt it though if I have to.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

YAYpril - B-Plus

If you don't want a mini ice bath, maybe freeze a water bottle and rest your foot on that.

Sorry I can't be much help other than that suggestion. Hope it gets better for you.

Mostly harmless

Yeah, Wednesday it happened near the end of my 7 mile tempo, I was struggling with my form and stride, struggling to push myself like I normally do during my tempos but this last one just seemed more difficult. I think I was landing more on the outside of my foot out of exhaustion that day. Today it only really popped up around mile 4-6 while I was running on HORRIBLE, AWFUL, OLD AND HARD CONCRETE, that was uneven and just beat up, my legs were lop sided and I struggled to pick and choose where to land (not fun at all like it is on a trail). As soon as I would find my footing and stride the pain would go away, I'll try icing it though I don't know if I can handle stick my foot in a bowl/ bath of ice and water...... I will attempt it though if I have to.

I do the bucket of ice water thing. Once you get past the initial shock it isn't too bad and it works well.

"It doesn’t matter how often you do it or how much you accomplish, in general, not running is a lot easier than running." - Meb Keflezighi

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Yep, it sucks sticking your foot in (at least you only need to cover the sole of the foot).  I get nauseous, and have thrown up from it in the past, but it's worth it.  Funny, but mine started bothering me first on a tempo too when I pushed a bit too hard and wore shoes that should have been retired long ago.  If you can't handle the ice bath, try the old frozen peas....or meatballs, as I prefer.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Thanks ya'll, stupid foot.

PRs

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Get a tennis ball, step on it barefoot, put some pressure through your foot, and roll it back and forth and work out any kinks.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I'll be shopping for tennis balls this week Smile, have to keep it away from the dog of  course.

PRs

Shakedown Street

I had pain, sometimes bad, on the outside of each foot, could not tie it to an event.

Met w/ doc. Looked at shoes. His take: Mix up the slopes on the sides of the road & ditch the shoes with the added stability blocks in the heels. I did, it worked.

I still keep a pair of the shoes around to do yard work, etc...they were the brooks cascadia. I wear them for too much time (about 30-45 minutes of walking) and viola, sore feet in that spot. It's due to some mid/rear arch super support thing in the shoe.

Don't know if this will help...but it is a thought.

Started-5/12, RWOL refugee,5k-24:23 (1/12/13),10K-55:37(9/15/12),HM-1:52:59(3/24/13)

Dr. Cornsitter

FS, this is kinda what i was feeling except that it didn't feel like a pinched nerve; instead, it hurt only when I walked flat-footed (didn't hurt at all in heels). I had to take a couple weeks off from running and even walking was difficult. I supinate, too. I'm back at it, though and haven't noticed any additional pain.

Quote from BeachRunner3234 on 6/25/2013 at 8:20 PM:

So I'm currently sitting with a bag of frozen corn in my ass.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

It has me a little worried, I will literally have a meltdown if I have to miss the St. Louis Half in less than 3 weeks. I can't even use words to describe what I might do if I have to. I notice it goes away when I focus on placing my weight more on the inside of my foot, it just feels tight otherwise. I have a tennis ball now but it still doesn't quite feel like it is "reaching" the deepest part. Other than a tennis ball, or icing, what else can I find or buy that would give a good massage and pressure on that part of my foot? Sad

PRs