Beginners and Beyond

Overall placement by chip-time (Read 90 times)

Adam_McAllen

Beer-and-waffle Powered

I ran a local 6K (errr... 5.45km) yesterday, mainly because it started about 600m from my apartment. The race didn’t go all that well but today I noticed that someone had finished with the same time as me in the official standings when I remembered not having anyone there for a sprint finish. I checked out their finisher’s video and realized it was a guy I’d dropped with about a 1km to go.

Turns out they do everything based on chip-time Shocked. Good thing I didn't have anything riding on that race!

In the words of my late-coach : Just hang in there, relax... and at the end of a race anyone you see.....just pass them

I ran a local 6K (errr... 5.45km) yesterday, mainly because it started about 600m from my apartment. The race didn’t go all that well but today I noticed that someone had finished with the same time as me in the official standings when I remembered not having anyone there for a sprint finish. I checked out their finisher’s video and realized it was a guy I’d dropped with about a 1km to go.

Turns out they do everything based on chip-time Shocked. Good thing I didn't have anything riding on that race!

My sister is a race director and she said that all of her races are done by chip time.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

Don't call me Buttercup!

I've only done 8 (?) races, but all but one of them was chip timed.  I guess it's the thing to do these days. =)

Slow and steady wins the....  wait a second! I've been lied to! 

Just B.S.

Hmmmm, our local races usually do overall top 3 winners by gun time and all other awards/placements

by chip time.

Whatever RD's decide I think it's always good to make sure that these this type of information is

in the race literature in order to avoid conflicts.

Sorry Adam.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I've only done 8 (?) races, but all but one of them was chip timed.  I guess it's the thing to do these days. =)

Adam is referring to awards for top finishers being determined by chip time. USATF rules specify that for sanctioned races place is determined by gun time. Since AGs are optional the RD can choose to determine awards by either gun time or chip time. The RD also has that option if the race is not a USATF sanctioned race, but very, very few do that. I think the NYRRC is one of the exceptions. At least in my area it is virtually unheard of for chip time to be used for determining awards.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

thekl0wn

Pigtail Connoisseur

Adam is referring to awards for top finishers being determined by chip time. USATF rules specify that for sanctioned races place is determined by gun time. Since AGs are optional the RD can choose to determine awards by either gun time or chip time. The RD also has that option if the race is not a USATF sanctioned race, but very, very few do that. I think the NYRRC is one of the exceptions. At least in my area it is virtually unheard of for chip time to be used for determining awards.

I can think of only one local race that did pure chip time, and that was because the RD didn't understand the whole concept and insisted.  Fortunately, most races we work with simply tell the timers to time it and handle that portion...  Since most of the races we deal with have more of an ED than an RD.  (event versus race)

Something witty

Don't call me Buttercup!

Oh!  No, that's not right.  I thought you meant just in general.  No way - if you are not one of the first three people across the finish line, I don't care what your chip time is.  You should not be allowed to place!  That's just stupid.

Slow and steady wins the....  wait a second! I've been lied to! 

Docket_Rocket

All of ours are by chip time too.  My races are too big and therefore it helps.  It really does not make much of a difference because the winners are usually in front so it comes up to the same time.

Having said that, our big marathons and HM do it in accordance with the rules.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Adam_McAllen

Beer-and-waffle Powered

I wouldn't have a problem with AG awards by chip time. But they didn't even report a gun and a chip time... just the one.

Nothing was lost in this race for me though. I did a four and a half hour bike ride on Saturday afternoon and as soon as I got out of bed I knew it wasn't going to a fast day. I split 3km slower than my half-marathon PBUndecided.

In the words of my late-coach : Just hang in there, relax... and at the end of a race anyone you see.....just pass them

thekl0wn

Pigtail Connoisseur

All of ours are by chip time too.  My races are too big and therefore it helps.  It really does not make much of a difference because the winners are usually in front so it comes up to the same time.

Having said that, our big marathons and HM do it in accordance with the rules.

As George said, if they're sanctioned, they're gun timing for the overalls.  Their reports may not show gun time, but that's what is used.  (again, if USATF sanctioned)

And size of the race has nothing to do with whether or not the gun time is there.  All the gun time is, is either a manual trigger on the timing brain(s) or a connected trigger to the actual gun.  I'd be willing to bet that this is triggered regardless if it's used or not.  The software is what generates the timing reports based on the timing selection.

Something witty