Beginners and Beyond

What happens if there is bad weather during races? (Read 282 times)

YAYpril - B-Plus

I did a 10k on Labor Day. We were standing at the start, getting ready to go, and the skies completely opened up. We all stood there laughing our asses off. It ended up pouring for the first ~5 minutes of the race then it settled into a steady rain. It was fun. Enjoy the race!
    Venomized

Drink up moho's!!

I have raced in heavy rain and falling snow.  Typically the only time they will call a race is if there is lightening in the area and then its still a judgement call on the race director.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I have raced in heavy rain and falling snow.  Typically the only time they will call a race is if there is lightening in the area and then its still a judgement call on the race director.

Don't forget sleet!  That was just last month.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Adam_McAllen

Beer-and-waffle Powered

I've only seen cancellations for a last minute snow storm in an city ill-equipped to deal with snow clearing. The race would have been a gongshow if they'd run it.

In the words of my late-coach : Just hang in there, relax... and at the end of a race anyone you see.....just pass them

Mostly harmless

Have fun running in the rain!

"It doesn’t matter how often you do it or how much you accomplish, in general, not running is a lot easier than running." - Meb Keflezighi

Little Blue

I've only seen cancellations for a last minute snow storm in an city ill-equipped to deal with snow clearing. The race would have been a gongshow if they'd run it.

Myrtle Beach?  They had a 20-year storm (4") and cancelled the race at midnight.  It all melted by noon.  Lots of pissed off runners ran the race anyway, since all of the markers and stuff were up.  We went shopping.Smile

I agree with the billed cap.  And consider your shirt carefully, if you don't want to participate in the wet T-shirt contest. Blush

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

I agree with the billed cap.  And consider your shirt carefully, if you don't want to participate in the wet T-shirt contest. Blush

Hehe good advice.

Thanks everyone! I was so nervous they would cancel it! I will wear all tech fabric clothes, visor, a poncho and enjoy my 10K "swim"! Should make for an interesting RR if the weather is as predicted

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Myrtle Beach?  They had a 20-year storm (4")

20 years?  Sounds like about 20 minutes worth of snow when it's really coming down here in Buffalo Tongue