Beginners and Beyond

Movie- The Spirit of the Marathon (Read 101 times)

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

On a day when I had to DNS my race in the morning because of an injury that is being stubborn and taking a long time to heal, in all my brilliance I decided to torture myself--instead of trying to NOT think about running I went to the LRS and got new shoes, and I watched the movie The Spirit of the Marathon. My friend, the one who got me into running, has been recommending I watch this movie for months. I had a night all to myself last night, and I didn't like anything I was scrolling through on Netflix and I suddenly remembered her recommendation. It did make me even more frustrated and sad that I can't currently run, but was incredibly inspirational, and made me so badly want to be able to get back to running, that this is a hobby/sport that I really hope to stick with.

Anyone see this movie? I absolutely loved it! I am a new runner, only been doing it for a few months and done a few races (2 5Ks and a 10K) but have caught the racing bug and am registered for a half later this year. However, I honestly never, ever saw myself running a marathon (though I haven't been completely closed off to it, just hasn't really been something I thought I'd ever have a desire to do). But after seeing this movie I think it may be something I want to do someday. Not anytime soon, but maybe in a few years. I know there are a ton of marathon runners on here, so I thought I'd see who else has seen this movie, and what you thought. And for those that haven't, I definitely recommend it!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

RSX

I loved it, and bought it when it came to dvd. When I trained for my last marathon I watched that and every Rocky movie to keep me motivated. I believe this year they are coming up with a new film. Hope you heal soon.

Trail Monster

I have it on my laptop. It is pretty good. I also enjoy Without Limit (Steve Prefontaine), Run For Your Life (Fred Lebow), Race for the Soul (Western States 100), and Unbreakable (also Western States).

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Jess runs for bacon

Only about a zillion times.

xor

We all likes what we likes, so do not view the following as any kind of poo poo judgment on how you (or anyone) really dig this movie.  It inspired you and that is much goodness.

I haaaaaate that movie.  Parts are ok, but there are a couple "characters" who make me want to punch my own face.

For those who want to ponder ultras, I suggest finding Unbreakable.  The one about Western States, not the one with Bruce Willis.

I am with srlopez on this one. I really wanted to like it, enough that I watched it for a second time recently. But I still hated it.

It could be that I am just annoyed by "inspirational" type stuff in general. Bah Humbug!

I did like Unbreakable with Bruce Willis though.

Auhugh!!

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Haha who did you want to punch?

We all likes what we likes, so do not view the following as any kind of poo poo judgment on how you (or anyone) really dig this movie.  It inspired you and that is much goodness.

I haaaaaate that movie.  Parts are ok, but there are a couple "characters" who make me want to punch my own face.

For those who want to ponder ultras, I suggest finding Unbreakable.  The one about Western States, not the one with Bruce Willis.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

RSX

The only guy I didn't like was the one who got injured. He whined too much, and I got the impression he wasn't all that happy for his wife, but more jealous. I liked that they also threw 2 elites in there.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

On a day when I had to DNS my race in the morning because of an injury that is being stubborn and taking a long time to heal, in all my brilliance I decided to torture myself--instead of trying to NOT think about running I went to the LRS and got new shoes, and I watched the movie The Spirit of the Marathon. My friend, the one who got me into running, has been recommending I watch this movie for months. I had a night all to myself last night, and I didn't like anything I was scrolling through on Netflix and I suddenly remembered her recommendation. It did make me even more frustrated and sad that I can't currently run, but was incredibly inspirational, and made me so badly want to be able to get back to running, that this is a hobby/sport that I really hope to stick with.

Anyone see this movie? I absolutely loved it! I am a new runner, only been doing it for a few months and done a few races (2 5Ks and a 10K) but have caught the racing bug and am registered for a half later this year. However, I honestly never, ever saw myself running a marathon (though I haven't been completely closed off to it, just hasn't really been something I thought I'd ever have a desire to do). But after seeing this movie I think it may be something I want to do someday. Not anytime soon, but maybe in a few years. I know there are a ton of marathon runners on here, so I thought I'd see who else has seen this movie, and what you thought. And for those that haven't, I definitely recommend it!

Love it, and watch it a lot.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

buchy2009

Bjørnmannen

I think I watch this film about once a month.  It is so great!

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

The only guy I didn't like was the one who got injured. He whined too much, and I got the impression he wasn't all that happy for his wife, but more jealous. I liked that they also threw 2 elites in there.

+1, I got that vibe as well although I can kind of understand as it was probably extremely frustrating and they seem like a very competitive couple.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

bounce76

I love that movie, and have watched in on Netflix a few times.  My other favorite is St. Ralph, great movie!

Upcoming Races:

AC Marathon: 10/13

Honeybadgerruns.com

I loved it also!  I found it very inspiring and emotional.  I haven't run a full marathon yet, but have done a half several times and it's such an emotional journey.

Luke79

I want to see Unbreakable sooo bad, but I can't justify paying 29.99 for a movie.  That's just ridiculous.  If it was around 15 bucks, I would have no problem, but damn that's expensive for a movie.

xor

Agreed.  That's why I wrote "find"(ing) instead of "buy" and didn't give a link.  That price is wrong (edit: I'm not saying you are providing the wrong price.  I'm saying it is too spendy).  I found it very inspiring, however.  Would have loved to have seen it in the theater on a giant screen.