Beginners and Beyond

loyalty to RW (Read 277 times)

Hip Redux

Oh, and if you think I'm beating a dead horse, sorry. I just recently had a tragedy at my house and am thinking of anything to take my tiny, little mind off of it.

So sorry. Sad

happylily

I am among those but I don't have nostalgia for the place but rather for the people we have lost.  It will never be the way it was then.  I actually go there now and I don't even recognize it (except those two threads I frequent and post every day in the training forums).  The relationship, I think, was with the people, not with the BF.

Yes, D., of course, it was about the people, not the place. It's just that the place, its name, etc... remind me of the people...

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Docket_Rocket

Now that they changed to hoop.la, my feelings are totally different, haha.  Some days I go there and go WTF is this?

Yes, D., of course, it was about the people, not the place. It's just that the place, its name, etc... remind me of the people...

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

flarunner

Thanks, you guys.

happylily, thanks for that response. It's made me think that you (all) have lost something (someone) close to you and are probably going through a grieving process.

MrNamtor

I've lost a lot of people in my life.  Doing normal things or things like talking about ra vs. Rw is part of healing. Anyone who's been through grieving understands that fla. Time heals just keep going.

Just B.S.

Thanks, you guys.

happylily, thanks for that response. It's made me think that you (all) have lost something (someone) close to you and are probably going through a grieving process.

I've been there many times. It is hard but eventually you come out the other side and

see that things can be normal again. Different but normal. Take care.

Mostly harmless

Getting too emotionally invested in a group of forum friends is a mistake that I won't make again. Been there, done that and it caused me all kinds of problems.

The marathoner dailies forum is the group I post in most often. It appears that the majority of folks that post to that group are content to continue doing so.  That combined with the fact that I keep my running log on this site is enough to make this my first stop when I sit down in front of my computer.  I still read and post at RW too, but not nearly as often as I do here.

But hey, I'm one of the new kids.  No one really gives a shit what I think anyway. Big grin

"It doesn’t matter how often you do it or how much you accomplish, in general, not running is a lot easier than running." - Meb Keflezighi

Hip Redux

But hey, I'm one of the new kids.  No one really gives a shit what I think anyway. Big grin

I care.  But only because I'm trying to figure out if you are or are not Scott. :P

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I miss that gang that sort of "grew up" together.  Those were really good times.

Running is dumb.

Mostly harmless

I care.  But only because I'm trying to figure out if you are or are not Scott. :P

Yes.

"It doesn’t matter how often you do it or how much you accomplish, in general, not running is a lot easier than running." - Meb Keflezighi

happylily

I miss that gang that sort of "grew up" together.  Those were really good times.

Yes. You, Bob!, Eddie, Jenny, Joanne, among so many others.

StepbyStep-SH

I think that is what I miss - the group of us who seemed to start about the same time, were training for our "firsts" together (often with training schedules that seemed to match up closely), and experienced new PRs and adventures together. While I still see many of the same people "here, there or somewhere," the cohesiveness is gone. I guess that's just the nature of relationships, both online and in real life - as people grow and change, friendships ebb and flow and people drift apart as their lives lead them in different directions.

ETA: Oops - meant to quote Mandy on this!

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

happylily

Thanks, you guys.

Changes are hard and scary. Losses are even worse. We're here for you whenever you need us. We're not as good as real life, but almost!

happylily

I think that is what I miss - the group of us who seemed to start about the same time, were training for our "firsts" together (often with training schedules that seemed to match up closely), and experienced new PRs and adventures together. While I still see many of the same people "here, there or somewhere," the cohesiveness is gone. I guess that's just the nature of relationships, both online and in real life - as people grow and change, friendships ebb and flow and people drift apart as their lives lead them in different directions.

Yes, Shari. That's exactly that. You've explained it well.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Well put, Shari.  Smile

Running is dumb.