Beginners and Beyond

It's The Penguin's Weekender (Read 21 times)

PADRunner

PAD, nice job on the 7.  What's your longest run to date?  When is your marathon?

Longest run was the Cowtown half in Feb., in training 11 I think. I'm going back to the Cowtown for the full on 3/1/15.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

4.5 for us on the Des Plaines River Trail.  New section of DPRT for us.  Kind of rough as it is mostly an old asphalt trail that is all cracked up and covered in dirt.   Runs next to the airport so we saw more planes than runners on this trail.  At least it was shady.  Knees, ankles, feet seem to be okay,  so it was a good and interesting run.  Maybe I should get some trail shoes that I cold also use on our potholed streets.

Why am I not surprised to see a picture of Scotty and cheerleaders !!!

Enjoy what's left of the weekend.

Zelanie

Speaking of shady airports, when I was in the south, I had seen that one of the little towns had an airport, but I couldn't find any service that went there, so I figured it was just for private smugglers businesses or something.  But I happened to be on a bus going past there, and it was a fenced-in runway with runners going back and forth along the runway!  I guess that's one way to find a flat surface to run on in that part of the country!

15 done!  Last LR in Costa Rica.  My hip was really bothering me at first, but I reminded myself not to judge a run by the first mile, and after I had warmed up, it was fine.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Another nice morning of "cool' for August in Texas.  Slept in a bit later than I wanted to and did not start my run/walk until 8:15 a.m.  Even so, it was very pleasant, about 72 degrees, low humidity and low dew-point.  I did off-road trails in McAllister Park, the largest park in San Antonio. This time I did the 'back trail' which really takes you off-road.

I started at this cactus with this funny little flowers/fruit.

photo MP1_zpse40d000d.jpg

Ran up onto the causeway..this was built to help prevent flooding in the park after heavy rain.  The running trail goes on top of it.  This photo is from a point where I am looking back the way I just came up the causeway.

photo MP2_zpsaf61d523.jpg

I am now approaching a point along the trail called "Majestic Oaks."  I thought it was funny that the one tree log/branch looked to me like a dog standing up, maybe 'standing guard' to the entrance of Majestic Oaks.

photo MP3_zps2d0fde89.jpg

Entering Majestic Oaks by going up this short hill

photo MP4_zps6e668ef1.jpg

And then running underneath all these oak trees...

photo MP5_zpscaeef1b9.jpg

photo MP6_zps3f8f8779.jpg

Right before I headed back to my car I passed the Dog Park in the park.  This is a very popular San Antonio dog park, very large, and one of the busiest during the weekend.

photo MP7_zpsb6ea4bba.jpg

In spite of my late morning start, nice run/walk, very pleasant.  Felt great the whole way.  Ended up with 4.3 miles.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Zelanie

Those are lovely oaks, Scotty!  I still have 2 weeks here, actually, but I only run long ever other week on my plan.