Beginners and Beyond

2013 in 2013 Team 5 - Auhugh!! Time to post miles for Week 2! (Read 398 times)

Lara, you can do it.

Sara, good luck!

Take Charge. Train Harder. Suck Less. No Excuses.

Village people

This is a plan I can support.

+1

I hit my weekly and monthly PR! The run wasn't the slog that I was expecting.

Go, Sara, go!

Trail Monster

Lara, what is your current PR? What about other distances? My coach seems to have high hopes forme at Shamrock but she hasn't put a number on them yet. I'm getting a little scared with less than 6 weeks to go!

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

crazyrunninglady

Warrior Princess

Lara, what is your current PR? What about other distances? My coach seems to have high hopes forme at Shamrock but she hasn't put a number on them yet. I'm getting a little scared with less than 6 weeks to go!

None of my PRs are current Smile.

5k - 23:24 (2011)

10k - 50:02 (2010)

Half - 1:53 (2010)

Full - 4:13 (2010)

My best times from last year were 23:51, 1:55 and 4:28.

But he liked my 5 mile time from last week (41:53) given that it was a course with two crossings over a very big bridge.  But I'll wait until my February half before I get to attached to any time goal.

Trail Monster

I definitely think you could go sub-4 if training goes well! Those times are all pretty darn fast!

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

BruceD555

I agree ... I think you can go sub 4 with a smooth training cycle.

Now, the bigger question ... how does one accidentally acquire a coach?

Train smart ... race smarter.

Trail Monster

7 miles today. Happy with that!

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

crazyrunninglady

Warrior Princess

I agree ... I think you can go sub 4 with a smooth training cycle.

Now, the bigger question ... how does one accidentally acquire a coach?

A friend who is a former sub elite and asst volunteer coach at a local high school offered.  Apparently, he coaches for fun the way I play song pop.  I distantly knew he had coached a mutual friend who ran a 3:18 at his debut this month but Dave isn't the only one.  He coaches three or four (good) local runners and a number of JV youth.  Upon hearing that I was super duper wanting to run another marathon but somewhat concerned about how to go about training for one, he volunteered to write me a plan.  The depth of questions I have answered about my running habits in the last 24 hour hours has been staggering.  Shocked

BruceD555

Whew, that's a relief ... I had pictured some casual conversation you struck up with a stranger in line at the grocery store checkout  that turned into an awkward stalker coach following you home. Big grin

Train smart ... race smarter.

Lara, Just stay healthy.  No SFXs, ok?  If you stay healthy, I think there's a shot.

Take Charge. Train Harder. Suck Less. No Excuses.

BCR, you are so right about the mind and the body. If I head on a run with a preconceived number in mind, that's usually what I run.  As in, when I get to that number of miles, my mind shuts my body down. It's weird really, if I want to run 10 miles, at 10 miles, my body just doesn't want to run anymore, even though it can.  But if I know that I'm going to run x miles today, I can usually make it.  Today was 20.

Everyone is wired differently and it just depends on where my mind is.  Sometimes I find myself just like you.  If I have 10 in my mind then 10 is all I want to do.  Especially if I am running by myself.  However, when I run with a group it is totally different because I want to beat the people I am with or at least stay as close to them as I can.

2014 Goals: (Yeah I suck)

• Sub 22  5K
                        • Sub 1:35 1/2 marathon 
                        • Sub 3:25:00 Marathon

BCR, what are you goal races for this year?  I see you have some pretty high goals there in your siggy line, but just curious what races you will be toeing the line at.

Well currently I have on schedule to do the xenia marathon in Ohio which is supposed to be a warm up for the Louisville marathon.  My plan is to pace a friend of mine to hopefully a BQ.  I'm secretly hoping he does it at Xenia so I can bust loose at Louisville. If not I am going to have to settle for a half marathon in Cincinnati as my spring goal race.   However, the main goal race is Chicago.  .That is where I plan to crush it if I can get into the race.  What about you?

• Sub 22  5K

A favorite quote of mine from Fringe (probably stolen from somewhere else)  "Do not mistake a winning play for a winning game."

And that is why I can't bring myself to get too worked up over a match up so early in the year.

Bah you don't want to relax at the start thinking you can pick it up at the end because who knows what set backs you might have at the end.  Lots of things can get in the way of running.  Nobody said running was going to be easy. If it was eveyrone would be doing it.  It is easy to eat a chocolate custard filled doughnut but it is not easy to PR your next race.

Now with that said if your legs are telling you that they need a break for the love of running take a break.  I take every third week and tone it down a bit.  Last week I only ran 40.2 miles.  I enjoyed that low number and got some quality workouts in.  However, I ran 12 miles on a hilly course in the pooring rain and wind yesterday because I know I have to work harder. You need to push yourself and push yourself hard if you ever want to break a magic number like sub 4 hour marathon.

So get your big boy underwear or your big girl panties on and find yourself a place to run and be happy you are able to do so because many people are not.   Some runs hard, some runs easy, some runs hilly and some runs fast.  Just make sure 50% of your runs are at an easy pace and give yourself a cutback week.   "Winning plays and winning games don't have to be exclusive.  You can do both!  Just a thought."

• Sub 22  5K

I joined a new gym so I could get some miles in while our air quality is so awful. This random guy came up and tried to give me unsolicited advice on how to use the treadmill. This was after I had started to walk on it and had my earbuds in. That's the joy of being the only white girl around I guess. I was kind of rude to him and now I can't stop feeling guilty about it... he just wanted to show off his English skills probably. But you know, I have used a treadmill or two before!

I should have listened to his advice, maybe I would have an accidental coach now too. Joking

Auhugh!!

crazyrunninglady

Warrior Princess

We have just reached 100% posting for the week.  It was a personal best mileage week for the team as well as for many individual warriors but I will wait til results come out to post numbers.  I am not OCD enough to have made a spreadsheet for the other team so I genuinely do no know if we will win or not but it will, at the very least, be close.