Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photos: Carnival of Venice 5K (Read 26 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO and SHORT REPORT

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor, retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run, hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports With Photos, and my thanks to all the people I interacted with for their graciousness and good humor in letting me take photos of them.

This was my 10th race of 2015.  Put on my Scallywompus, a very good local running event organization (web: www.scallywompus.com) and held at Cedar Creek Golf Course on March 7, 2015.  Night-time event with a start time of 7 PM.  Course was on the paved golf course pathways.  Weather was actually pretty cooperative, about 56 degrees at start time, with DARK.    Rain had been predicted for our area- and when I got home my wife told me it had POURED there - but we only got "rain-drop spit-on" a little bit during the event, so the running gods were kind to us!   Our Race Director,  a great guy named Bart, with his "warped"   sense of humor had put out that for where the area was, the course was relatively flat.  Uh huh...this was one of the HILLIEST 5Ks I have ever done...and these were no baby hills either!   Several times on the route I heard Bart's name being used in vain ...jokingly of course, he really is one of the nicest guys you could ever meet.  The uphills I did not mind so much; I actually prefer them over downhills as, with my spinal arthritis, the downhills pound my back more than the uphills do;  a couple of times I just went into this "sliding-my-feet-skipping motion" as I went down the hills, which did help.  Probably killed my time, but that's okay, I'd rather have an unhurting back over a good time any day.  As I was running the uphills, I kept thinking, dang, the folks that play golf here must have some awfully "zoomed up' golf carts to get up these hills!    I really thought I was going to finish in 40 minutes or so, but I surprised myself and ended up with a gun time of 35:02 and a chip time of 34:57, good enough for 2nd place in my age group.  Guess all that hill training I do faithfully once a week really does come in handy at times!

LONG VERSION REPORT W/PHOTOS

Before The Start

Arrived with about 45 minutes to go before start time.  Cedar Creek clubhouse - I assumed it was the clubhouse where we all initially gathered - sits on a big hill and offers some nice views of the surrounding area; and because this was a night-time run, we got a view of a nice sunset too.

photo 001_zpsm8zeg7mi.jpg

photo 007_zpshgokihkj.jpg

photo 020_zpszucitxby.jpg

This was waiting for us as we came into the clubhouse

photo 004_zpsd157vrni.jpg

photo 016_zpswgoufl64.jpg

Roger Soler (pronounced sole-air) was getting the Pinata lady ready for the after-party.  I jokingly told Roger he needs to get a real girl...

photo 006_zpsowulrgek.jpg

And, of course, got photos pre-start of some of the participants, supporters, volunteers, etc.  With the 'Carnival of Venice" theme, lots of folks were colorfully attired.

photo 002_zpssggwbszc.jpg

photo 003_zps0tpdqlax.jpg

photo 005_zpsllti5ulr.jpg

photo 009_zps97ba9c6a.jpg

photo 010_zpsqu7gg4em.jpg

photo 011_zpsdu2arcvo.jpg

photo 012_zpsm6wwujhs.jpg

photo 013_zps1xajxe6w.jpg

photo 014_zps8mqiirpb.jpg

photo 017_zpspy7rcwzp.jpg

photo 018_zps9z3vqpw0.jpg

photo 019_zpsthliu19a.jpg

photo 021_zpsbj1ncnkv.jpg

photo 022_zpsvyrjvvrf.jpg

This lady is an inspiration!  She was cycling and was hit by a car and was in a wheelchair for a while.  Now she is walking again, and here she was at our race.  So if you are a healthy runner...what's your excuse for not working out? 

photo 024_zpsnctr1miv.jpg

photo 025_zpsvzcfwa4b.jpg

photo 026_zpstkapmhui.jpg

photo 027_zpsbznmxaio.jpg

My pals Gene and Loyce.  With my birthday this year, I entered into SPEEDY Gene's age group.  He was first in our age group for this event.

photo 028_zpsoeo1ps5b.jpg

photo 029_zpsd9ez6zg8.jpg

My pals Neil and Tina on the left, with friends.

photo 030_zpsbwvcmugr.jpg

Why does this guy run?  For those of you who are old enough to remember Flip Wilson..'the devil made him do it!"   photo 032_zpsrcgfzurk.jpg

At the start line area just before we go....

photo 033_zpsygi1svpa.jpg

photo 034_zpsfdn3ls5b.jpg

photo 035_zpsuqwhdnnr.jpg

On The Course

Well, it WAS a night-time run and my camera is not the greatest with night shots.  Mostly I saw....headlamp lights!  Lots of floating lights..kinda reminded me of some of my youth in the 60s and 70s.... 

photo 037_zpspf5xyqpl.jpg

photo 038_zpsahfwyu8l.jpg

photo 039_zpsveblpwnl.jpg

photo 040_zpss55ei9vu.jpg

photo 042_zpszhbfeexh.jpg

photo 045_zpsdcz7iei4.jpg

photo 046_zpsb7ts0opq.jpg

photo 047_zpslnwrz5zl.jpg

After The Finish

I usually call my photos of the people who finish at the races I do the "Happy Finisher Photos"...but this one was so darn hilly, I think we were all "Happy Survivors" for this event, lol.   Got a few photos near the finish line....

photo 048_zpst0fwb5r0.jpg

photo 050_zpsj1h8ecbg.jpg

photo 051_zpsypssztrf.jpg

photo 052_zpsjnvpzi2f.jpg

And then back into the building for the after-party!

Massages available.  I bet several people used that after those hills!

photo 053_zpsgihn90mz.jpg

Pizza!

photo 054_zpsoipajzop.jpg

And beer, oh yeah!

photo 055_zpsvmvgn2vz.jpg

There was also cranberry juice and vodka, as modeled here by my friend, Loyce.  Good thing Gene was driving!

photo 064_zpsuznbn2uc.jpg

The party cake

photo 071_zpsyxqkh3yv.jpg

Me and a couple of my veterans organization Team Red White Blue members.   This race just happened to fall on the birthday of my friend Phil, on the left - he is 21 AGAIN!     And yes, everyone did sing Happy Birthday for him.

photo 056_zps9j9gmowa.jpg

photo 057_zpsa6drcoxc.jpg

photo 058_zpsdxwutzar.jpg

photo 059_zpsdhfavtlm.jpg

photo 060_zpskfddcgcu.jpg

There were two of us taking photos of these folks; so John turned into "Director", lol, giving us instructions

photo 061_zpswnmf3hdh.jpg

photo 062_zpscvwz0h59.jpg

photo 063_zpst4zh6w19.jpg

photo 065_zpsvhinvjyx.jpg

This guy, our MC, is grimacing because one of the birthday people, a very lovely lady, is about to take a swing at the pinata with a golf club.  She did really well too, punched that thing open in about 2 swings.  I hope whomever her significant other is NEVER makes her mad. 

photo 066_zpsjrlfnjzm.jpg

photo 069_zpskmexseor.jpg

photo 070_zps5ii6df7f.jpg

The age group awards were carnival masks.  Mine just happened to match what I'm wearing.  Cool...now I can be the Green Hornet, lol...the older, fatter version...

photo 072_zpsu15jwe4b.jpg

This was the Official Photographer for the event, here with the unofficial photographer.  I'm sure her camera skills are much better than mine!

photo 073_zpsbve8jx4i.jpg

This is the tech tee participants got, very nice quality too...

photo 076_zpsjjlfezfo.jpg

Got home near 10 pm, sat down in my chair, and after all the hills and partying, was pretty tired and fell right asleep in my chair, lol.  My blue-eyed siamese, Sinatra, quite agreed with that notion and kept me company...

photo 075_zpsm2r0octt.jpg

Epilog

This certainly was a tough course!  But did I have fun?  You bet!    Bart/Scallywompus always throws a heckuva party after their events, with lots and lots of goodies and this one was no exception.  And the folks that showed up for this one were all really great.  Lots of comradery before, during, and after the event.    Challenging course, but a good one.  I'd like to do this route in the daytime sometime just to see what that's like, I bet the views, when you can see them, are really nice;  but I'm sure the golfers, lol, would probably not appreciate a bunch of runners "playing through" while they are out there.  However, mucho thanks to Cedar Creek for letting we runners invade our space for a while.  Huge appreciation to Scallywompus, all the volunteers, and all the vendors, and everyone who made this event happen for us.  I definitely would do this one again.  I would also recommend it to my fellow runners, but....just be sure to get your hill training in! 

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

PADRunner

Congrats Scotty, looks like a nice course in th daylight.

GinnyinPA

Looks like a fun race - very colorful masks and outfits.  Did people run in the masks?  Good job on the AG award, especially with all the hills to slow you down.

LRB

The after party looks like the place to be!

Zelanie

Sounds like you ran those hills really strong to finish in that time, nice job!

RabbitChaser

Great job, Scotty! Congrats on taking 2nd in your AG! Thanks for sharing the RR and pics.