Beginners and Beyond

Turkey Trot RR (Read 105 times)

workinprogress11

This is the second year I've run this race.  Last year I ran after only being back from a pelvic stress fracture for about a month and a half.  It wasn't horrible, but it wasn't good either. 

Going into this race, I wasn't sure what to expect.  It's a very large 5k with 7500 participants so I knew there would be "traffic" issues.  This definitely was the case.  Around mile 1, I was on the far left and a woman in front of me came to a dead stop.  I almost tripped over 5 other people trying not to run into her.   I have run 2 marathons in the past couple of months and was hoping the extra endurance would translate into a new PR and a sub 26.

The race itself went pretty well.  I felt really good for almost 2 1/2 miles.  I was running in the low to mid 8's.  As I was rejoicing over how good I felt,  the ever present 5k side stitch/stomach cramp reared it's ugly head.  As usual with a 5k, I finished the race with my fist dug into my stomach. 

The good news:  I have a new PR at 26:01.  My previous PR was 26:17.

The bad news:  I missed sub 26 by 2 seconds.  I was actually pretty bummed out by that for a while especially because my Garmin showed that I had it, but I ran the best race I could and didn't leave anything out on the course, so I guess it is what it is.

Looking at the results, you can tell this is truly a "fun run" for most people.  I came in 17/348 in my age group which would never happen in a regular  5k of that size.  I'm glad everyone came out, though, because it was a beautiful day for running and a great way to begin the Thanksgiving eat-a-thon.

Thanks for reading!

Misty

Congrats on the PR! You were so close to that sub-26...you'll get it next time at a less crowded race.

Misty

Bless your heart.

Hey Doc

Feets don't fail me now

hey - terrific race and congrats on the PR!!  Wow, 2 seconds is a heartbreaker but seriously, well done! 

Antipodean

I feel your pain. I have reached my 5k PR (see siggy) twice, no less. It'll be all the sweeter when it does come!

Julie

"It's not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves."

~ Sir Edmund Hillary

Great job and congrats on the PR! Smile

5k - 25:15 (11/18/12)

10k - 1:01:51 (2/14/15)

10mi - 1:33:18 (3/2/14)

HM - 2:06:12 (3/24/13)

Upcoming Races:

Benched until further notice. :/

Everything you need is already inside. [[Bill Bowerman]]

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Nice PR!!! So close to that sub 26....next time!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Great job, Work... congrats on the PR.

At a smaller race, that sub 26 should be a lock.

SheCan

Congratulations on the new PR!  That's a good time to be proud of, especially having to navigate all those people.  Ugh, that woman was lucky she wasn't "tackled" by you and those five others.  Glad you had fun, and are back to racing!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson