Beginners and Beyond

Would you run a race if you knew ahead of time that the course might be short? (Read 95 times)

Zelanie

I suppose if you wear your garmin you can keep running past the finish line and then hit STOP at the 3.1 mark!   Big grin

If I ever feel like racing another 0.1 after any finish line, I am doing it wrong!

Love the Half

If I ever feel like racing another 0.1 after any finish line, I am doing it wrong!

No shit!

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

bluerun

Super B****

Hey, you could always take a page out of my book and turn a 2.87 mile "5K" into a 5.43 mile run...

I'd be more annoyed if I ran it without knowing in advance that it was short!

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

I suppose if you wear your garmin you can keep running past the finish line and then hit STOP at the 3.1 mark!   Big grin

You always make me laugh!

This is a small race, looks like I was 13/67 last year.  No AG awards, just OA man and woman I believe.  And (to my knowledge) nobody talked to the RD about the short course.  Most of the focus, honestly, is on the trail HM and 10K races of the event.  The 5K is there just for fun.  Plus since it is on trails, nobody 100% trusts their GPS.

A course PR, on the other hand, is an option.  And I could still get pace info if I wore the watch.

Trail comparisons, like PRs, are almost always done by course, not distance. Hills and footing can have a significant effect on times.

Also, some of our most fun and challenging races are those where the approximate distance and course are announced at the start line. So there's no strategy for hills or whatever (except for those who know those trails). You just race. And actually, since the course never / rarely repeats, there aren't any real opportunities for comparisons.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog