Beginners and Beyond

ThriDAILY Penguins (Read 24 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

AFM:  Was planning on running at the university campus after work, but I forgot to put my knee brace into my gear bag, arrrgggh!   So I went home after work, changed, and went over to the local park to get some miles in.  Ran at 5 PM, temp was 95 degrees with a 'feels like' temp of 98, but the humidity was pretty low at 45%.  I ran on nice, shady trails in the park and felt really good.  Got in 3.1 miles.  Today I did remember to pack my knee brace, so will run after work again.  It will be 'nice' again today, at only 95, with a 'real feel' of only 96.   Plan on doing a bit of hill work today - but maybe not, as my 5K on Sunday is hilly, so that could be my hillwork for the week - either at the university campus or at a local park. There is a possibility of rain-storms at 5 PM.  I leave work at 4 PM, so hopefully I can get my run in before the storms move in.  If not, well, it might be quite refreshing to get rained on for a bit.

What do I eat?  I am a VERY picky eater, lol. I don't like any COOKED vegetables, except for green beans and carrots, so mostly I eat fresh veggies. My typical eating day looks like this:

Breakfast: Orange Juice and either cheerios (I eat them dry, don't like milk on them), a bowl of instant oatmeal, or a Zone Bar.  On occasion, I'll treat myself to a breakfast taco or go to my favorite restaurant (IHOP; yeah, I'm cheap and easy Big grin) and get an omelette, or waffles, or french toast.  But not pancakes...don't like pancakes at all.

Lunch:  Usually some type of Lean Cuisine meal, some baby carrots, a single-serve box of raisins, a single-serve thingy of strawberry yogurt (the only flavor yogurt I like), an a diet soda.  On occasion, I will eat a fast-food meal, or other stuff if we have some type of luncheon at work.

Dinner:  fresh fruit and veggies: , 1/2 an apple; 1/2 an orange;, 1/2 of a green pepper; one small tomato; a serving of raw broccoli;  some type of meat entree (chicken, usually; or low-fat sausage, pizza, or a lean meat turkey sandwich, low-fat chili (no onions) w/rice, or some other type of low-fat meat).  Once in a while I will accompany it with various type flavors of wild brown rice, or baked potato.  Sometimes Gail brings left-over foods home from the luncheons her office has, and we have that.  Sometimes we just get food on the way home from work, like Subway sandwiches.  I also like Texas brisket, pork chops, meat loaf (no onions!), steak, chicken-fried steak, roast beet.  For dessert, I usually have a fat-free popsicle.

I may not like a lot of foods, but I do have a pretty varied diet and I manage not to starve, lol, as you can tell from my race photos. Big grin

I think Gail kind of likes my picky eating, since she likes to cook on the holidays and gets off easy with me - especially at Thanksgiving - as I don't like pie or stuffing or yams or cranberry sauce or corn-on-the-cob, etc.   She basically gives me turkey, some type of potatoes, a veggie I like and for dessert, ice cream (my favorite is strawberry, which is funny, since I don't like actual strawberries) or my favorite cookies, oatmeal raisin, and I'm a happy camper with just that.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Enjoy your 3-day weekend, Jerry.  Any plans?  Same for me, Jerry.   Retired from the Air Force after 24 years and now work 5 days a week for a university.  I'm also in a cube...but at least it's a university, so a totally different atmosphere than a corporate office.  Thankfully, too, I really enjoy the work I do for the university and then I also get the benefits of being able to use all the university facilities (pool, gym, climbing wall, track if I want, campus running trails) and since I am university staff get lots of stuff discounted, like my season tickets for football, items at the university store, etc.   Plus my boss is a runner too, so she lets me work a 'flex schedule' on my running days of the work week.

Awood, sorry about your busted run this morning.   Hope you can enjoy your miles tonite with your own music and the weather behaves for you.

Congrats on the running and the planking, Margo!  I forgot to mention, I did my planking at the park after my run yesterday. I managed to 'hold on" for 45 seconds, lol.  I am really terrible at this plank stuff!  I guess I would've made a lousy pirate in the old days.  Wink

Wow, Damaris actually ran in the morning for a change!  With your schedule, you must have been out there really early to get those 10 miles in!  Safe travel!  Where are you off to?

Congrats on your miles, Bin, glad you are still able to run!

Glad you are feeling better, Lauren. Yeah, I can relate to that humidity!   Way to get your miles in.  And good luck with the 70 seconds planking.  You can do it!  Lauren! Lauren! Lauren!  Big grin

1:20 plank, wow....Zelanie is hardcore!  Yeah, sorry, no peaches. But I do like pears.  Canned pears in juice though, not fresh pears, go figure. Joking

Dang, Jack, 20 different plank positions?  I think I missed that post.  I can hardly handle one position, let alone 20!  Kind of like my love life these days....SIGH.....it's hell getting old... Wink

Well, you certainly look like an Angel, Kristin! Big grin  Good luck with all those hills.  You might want to give your legs a rest one or two runs a week, maybe one day drive to somewhere flat...too much hill work can potentially result in some nasty ITB issues.

Happy Thriday to you too, HsM!    Safe trip to Oregon.   Isn't that where Zelanie is?   You two should FE!   What?!  You can't unplug!  I need my daily HsM fix!  Wink   But..week at the beach sounds nice...so I'll forgive you as long as you bring back swimsuit photos... Joking

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Philliefan33

Howdy, Penguins!!  It's my Thriday as well, as I will be laundering and packing tomorrow for our trip to the Oregon Coast, which starts on Saturday!!  It should be a really nice time -- we meet up with a friend of mine in Eugene Saturday night and Sunday, and then we meet up with my in-laws and DH's family for a week at the beach.  Woo-hoo!!

I doubt I'll be around much next week -- I'm going to attempt to unplug as much as possible.  My goal is to only check e-mail and FB once a day!  Funny how I suspect I'll find that difficult ...  Blush

Make sure you take sweatshirts!  The Oregon coast is gorgeous, but I don't consider it a beach.    A beach is where you sunbathe and swim.  The Oregon coast has crabbing, nice fresh salty air, good clam chowder....and foggy mornings and cold breezes.  I bet you don't even need a bathing suit (sorry Scotty, no good photos).

When two of the Oregon cousins came to visit us in PA a couple of years ago, my daughters took them on a day trip to the Jersey shore.  They had to be persuaded to go into the water -- they couldn't believe that it was warm enough for swimming and had never been in the ocean beyond getting their toes wet..  However, the boys did appreciate the bikinis that girls on the East Coat wear at the beach.  And not a sweatshirt to be seen!

SheCan

Morning Jerry and awood!

Phillie-- great 8 mile run and yay@ you joining our planking challenge!  I knew you could do it.

Hi Docket, where you headed now?

Hey Bin, Lauren, and Zelanie! :-)

Great job on the runs, Jack and Kristin!

Hopesmom have fun in Oregon, and remember to breathe in the serenity  of being unplugged.

Scotty-- yikes @ your evening runs in that heat.  You're definitely the trooper.  If you end up running, hope its a good one and you don't get rained on.

I did 7-1/2 miles with a really good hill workout.  I now need to get off of here, and go pick up my DH.  He's been gone 3 weeks this time.  Seems this summer, he's barely been at home at all.  Will be great to have him back.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Singer who runs a smidge

Make sure you take sweatshirts!  The Oregon coast is gorgeous, but I don't consider it a beach.    A beach is where you sunbathe and swim.  The Oregon coast has crabbing, nice fresh salty air, good clam chowder....and foggy mornings and cold breezes.  I bet you don't even need a bathing suit (sorry Scotty, no good photos).

When two of the Oregon cousins came to visit us in PA a couple of years ago, my daughters took them on a day trip to the Jersey shore.  They had to be persuaded to go into the water -- they couldn't believe that it was warm enough for swimming and had never been in the ocean beyond getting their toes wet..  However, the boys did appreciate the bikinis that girls on the East Coat wear at the beach.  And not a sweatshirt to be seen!

Yeah, we're taking shorts, but also jeans and sweatshirts.  I'll take a bathing suit each, but don't really expect to need them, unless this house we're renting has a hot tub ... hope hope hope ...  Big grin

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

Just looked at the weather, highs in the 60's all next week!!!!  Big grin

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

hog4life

2:00 minute plank last night, is this good? I hope to get a little run in here shortly, it's really hot right now and looks like it's going to rain. So maybe I'll go in the rain as its cooling off.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

That's twice as long as my plank last night.  I thought I did good.  So, I'm going to say that you did excellent....lol

2:00 minute plank last night, is this good? I hope to get a little run in here shortly, it's really hot right now and looks like it's going to rain. So maybe I'll go in the rain as its cooling off.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Have a great Thriday and vacation HsM.   No big weekend plans Scott.  Breakfast tomorrow with fellow retirees and then the postponed Bday for DD2 tomorrow night at Hofbrauhaus.

Just finished 4 miles with a 2 mile interval which is a post injury high.

Okay, I'll try a plank, but which one?

Sloooow.

Afternoon, Jerry!

Awood, I have a backup iPod on my treadmill for emergencies like that. I don't have Party in the USA, but I do have Can't Stop Sad

Philliefan, nice job on the 8 miles. It's a regular Planking Penguin Party in here lately, it's great! My weak body isn't planking friendly.

Scotty, thanks for the pictures! We had our first tooth fairy visit last week, oldest lost her first. Your run made me feel uncomfortable, and I'm in the air conditioning. Don't know how you do it.

Docket, going somewhere nice?

Bin, coughing such is good ab work, lol. That's a good long plank, congrats.

Lauren, your humidity sounds awful. Good for you getting a run in out there.

Zelanie, have fun/hope you had fun with the running club.

Jack, 1000 miles for the year, nice! Thanks for sharing the plan, got it all worked out now.

Kristin, no sore butt yet? Anytime a run a hill (Louisiana is very flat) I can feel it in my legs. I'm about to read your 15K RR too Smile

HopesMom, a trip to Oregon sounds lovely. I've heard the summer weather is really nice. Have a great time!

Cherie- Glad you are getting DH back! Where did he run off to again?

Mitch, two minutes is excellent! I managed 30 seconds in the bedroom a few weeks a go, before I was worried I would yell and wake everyone up.

It's my oldest kiddos birthday today, and I had an appointment at the hospital. I'm not happy with how that went, I have a CT scan scheduled for Tuesday. Took the 5 year old to IHOP for birthday breakfast, she loves the smiley face pancake. Then off to Barnes & Noble to pick a book. She starts school tomorrow (eeeek) so I'm doing her actual birthday in the next week or two. Things will be changing here, no more 10am waking times. I'm nervous. No running today, 3 miles planned for tomorrow.

Docket_Rocket

I have had a busy day.  Didn't have lunch until 1:30pm when the only thing I ate for breakfast was Gatorade and a 10 miler, then, a meeting, and 300 things to do because the boss was on vacation and remember, he wanted to clone me because he likes me so much so he gave me everything he needed to do before he left.  Bah!

I am drinking, that is all.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

For hose that asked, I am assigned to a judge in Broward so I've been going to Broward every day this week (which is unusual).  One more trip!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

8 mile tempo run in the books. The middle 4 were tough, avg pace about 7:17, damn hills. I didn't realise how how it was, right at the start of my cool down at mile 6, I took off my shirt and the sweat just poured out of me. Man, I really hate the heat, but my fault for going out to early. Fortunately, I have a SRD tomorrow.