Beginners and Beyond

Question for Hansons people (Read 45 times)

happylily

Don't get too hung up on what they call them. I wish Hansons would just call those runs "MP runs" and be done with it.

By the way I am a big fan of those workouts when training for a marathon.

Yes, nothing wrong with calling them what they are: MP runs. I also love those.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Don't get too hung up on what they call them. I wish Hansons would just call those runs "MP runs" and be done with it.

By the way I am a big fan of those workouts when training for a marathon.

This is what I have learned from you & a number of the other experienced/fast people here; one of the reasons I decided to go with Hanson vs some of the other plans.

While we are on the subject - the fairly minimal taper concerns me a bit. Has that worked out OK for people?

Dave

Docket_Rocket

This is what I have learned from you & a number of the other experienced/fast people here; one of the reasons I decided to go with Hanson vs some of the other plans.

While we are on the subject - the fairly minimal taper concerns me a bit. Has that worked out OK for people?

Didn't you do Pfitz last time?  I find the taper with Pfitz 18/70 as concerning.  But trust the plan.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

onemile

The first Hansons Advanced cycle the 10 day taper worried me but it ended up working out well. I magically felt awesome on race day and it felt so much easier.  The second cycle I chose a more aggressive MP and added miles and arrived at taper feeling very worn down and it just wasn't enough to make me feel good on race day. I think I could have used a longer taper.  So I think you have to see how you feel and take extra time if you think you need it.

Didn't you do Pfitz last time?  I find the taper with Pfitz 18/70 as concerning.  But trust the plan.

I have never done a formal plan. But I based my last taper loosely on Pfitz; to me it seems much more generous than Hansons.

Dave

I can only speak for myself but I like a two week taper. I've raced 11 marathons now and I know that three weeks is too long for me.

I will also say that the taper is probably one of the things that is really dependent on the person. Three weeks seems to be the general rule of thumb but I know a number of runners that utilize 10-14 day tapers. However, they do tend to be more intermediate to advanced runners.

B-Plus

I would work backwards from race day, and pick up the plan from that point on. Just adjust for mileage if necessary. You just came off some faster races, so I assume you put in some speed work so that will take care of that somewhat.

Take a look at how the beginner plan ramps up the quality work.  They start with a base of easy miles, then I think they cut the speed workouts in half (compared to the advanced) but maintain the strength workouts.  The tempo runs also start later, but ramp up a little faster so that you end up in the same place.  I believe that they also shorten the warmup and cooldown on the quality days so that you're not putting as much time on your feet it.

I would look at the beginner's plan since you would be right up to where the speedwork starts and/or mileage starts to build, so you still have time.  You can always add more miles to the easy runs and warmup/cooldown to make it closer to the Advanced plan if you decide on the beginner's.

OK after going back & looking at the Beginner plan, this makes a lot of sense. It doesn't start any quality work till week 6, but then after that the 2 plans start to merge & ultimately become pretty similar. With the exception of reduced mileage on the easy days, which if I am feeling good I will be beefing up anyway.

Dave

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

I can only speak for myself but I like a two week taper. I've raced 11 marathons now and I know that three weeks is too long for me.

I will also say that the taper is probably one of the things that is really dependent on the person. Three weeks seems to be the general rule of thumb but I know a number of runners that utilize 10-14 day tapers. However, they do tend to be more intermediate to advanced runners.

+1

Two weeks is the perfect marathon taper in my book.

You people have issues