Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photos: Rattler Run 5K (Read 12 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor, retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run, hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports With Photos, and my thanks to all the people I interacted with for their graciousness and good humor in letting me take photos of them.

SHORT VERSION REPORT

This was my 39th race of 2015.  Held in San Marcos, Texas - about 45 minutes from San Antonio - at San Marcos High School.  This race supported the Air Force JROTC at the school; since I am retired Air Force, had to come out and support my service! Lt Colonel (LTC) Williams was the main organizer of this event and served as the Race Director (RD).   I liked the LTC; really nice guy (maybe some of his cadets might disagree ) with a great sense of humor; and he is in some good shape too...so, my lady friends of my various running organizations who will be reading this report...please stay calm when you see his photo and don't let your heart get all 'crazy aflutter". 

About 160 participants for the run/walk.  Weather was pretty cooperative.  It was sunny and a tad humid, but not nearly as bad as it's been in our local area for the past few weeks; temp around 77 or so at the 8 a.m. start.   I ended up with a finish time of 34:14.

LONG VERSION REPORT WITH PHOTOS

I was up at 5:15 a.m., got my 'multitude' of cats fed, and then hit the road.  Traffic was actually fairly light going north on the I-35 in the direction of Austin, so I made pretty good time and got to San Marcos High School around 6:40 or so. Got my packet and number and said hello to my old friends of AthleteGuild - I do a lot of their events during the year - who were doing the finish line timing and results.

Before the Start

After I got my 'accoutrements' on - gloves for the arthritis in my hands, knee brace for the screw in my left knee, shin sleeve for the 'dent' in my right shin, headband because I sweat like crazy and blind myself if I don't wear one - sometimes as I'm getting dressed pre-race, my wife says Bullfighter music should be playing, lol, like when a matador is preparing - then it was time to get some pre-start photos.

Yours Truly, your host for this report with the mascot of the San Marcos High School "Rattlers."

photo 021_zpsb1ykvi0n.jpg

Me with Lt Col Williams

photo 042_zpslq0svzxv.jpg

The 'lonely' start/finish line before the start.  Purple and white ballons because, if I remember correctly, those are the high school team colors.

photo 001_zpsduhyq4sp.jpg

My AthleteGuild friends getting ready for things to start

photo 002_zpsn5b9meov.jpg

Cheerleaders out there to cheer on the participants

photo 003_zpsaiqx8zlo.jpg

Law Enforcement that was out there for us to keep us safe. Thanks guys!

photo 006_zpsuxlzcshm.jpg

The before-and-after treats and the Treat Lady.  Thank you, young lady!

photo 008_zps3y9znpzo.jpg

Some of the participants, supporters, etc.

photo 004_zpsj3c4kmgi.jpg

photo 005_zpsajjayapj.jpg

photo 019_zpsv3swn8ii.jpg

photo 007_zpsbtxrimqn.jpg

photo 009_zpsn8n0mpax.jpg

photo 010_zps8zajt9te.jpg

photo 011_zpsje158uaf.jpg

photo 012_zpsmtlxsuzh.jpg

photo 013_zps1dpufxpm.jpg

photo 014_zpstjwm5u8w.jpg

photo 015_zpszxiftk4j.jpg

photo 016_zpsecgc3xu4.jpg

photo 017_zpswgj3mvuk.jpg

photo 018_zpskyocekdw.jpg

photo 020_zpsk9u59i5m.jpg

photo 022_zpsdknyrxcb.jpg

Getting ready to start!

photo 023_zpsezg5gss7.jpg

On the Course

Lieutenant Colonel (LTC) Williams, the school JROTC Commander/Instructor laid this course out and it was a doozy, lol.  Started at the school, flat for a bit, then a downhill; left onto a road to head to a turn-around point - and by the time I got on that road, some of the speedier folks were already heading back toward me - and then back up part of the hill we'd just come down.  Instead of turning onto the road we initially came out on, we went straight...and, of course, encountered another hill. Up we go...then down the other side..make a right turn...go up a small incline..make another right turn...and the LTC 'surprised' everyone with one last hill - and this was no dang baby hill either, lol - that we had to climb before FINALLY making a left turn onto the FLAT (thank goodness!) drive that took us back to the start/finish line.  During this entire 5K I was telling myself I am SOOO glad that I make it a point to do hill training at least once a week; so I got up the hills on this course in pretty good order.   However, that LAST hill was a surprise, because I though we were closer to the school - I have a terrible sense of direction, lol - and when we'd made that right turn, I though the school was right around the corner.  Not!  I chatted with LTC Williams about this when I got done and we had a laugh together about it as he said "Gotcha!"   I think he got quite a few of us! 

photo 024_zpsritskct8.jpg

photo 025_zpsldgsnbz3.jpg

Floater!

photo 026_zps3qvf7dbj.jpg

photo 027_zpse3k6ezse.jpg

photo 028_zpscsotgifh.jpg

photo 029_zpsthtkfz6o.jpg

photo 030_zpsmzf23u3x.jpg

One of the volunteers out there for us. I got her to laugh by telling her that I tried to convince the volunteer before her that the cone back there was the 'Old Man Turnaround" cone, so I should have turned there...but he wasn't buying it. She laughed..making for a nice photo of her.

photo 031_zpsr17di6v6.jpg

Second uphill

photo 032_zpshgyqubzh.jpg

photo 033_zpsckizmfbo.jpg

photo 034_zpsv5wnxry7.jpg

photo 035_zpsym87zdne.jpg

photo 036_zps9win2v04.jpg

photo 038_zpsfhb39ozh.jpg

photo 039_zpsfyxbyql6.jpg

The last hill before we made the turn to the finish...I'm up at the top looking back down behind me...

photo 040_zpse1m5s8eh.jpg

The lady in gray - who is a coach - and the young lady in blue actually caught up to me on the finish line road and breezed by me to finish ahead of me.  They did great!

photo 041_zpsx3zw419y.jpg

After the Finish

First thing I did was get some water and then my AthleteGuild friends let me sit my old bones down in one of their chairs to sip the water down and relax a bit.  Then it was off to get some post-finish photos!

photo 043_zpsqzegwsoi.jpg

Unique 'rattler' 1st place awards waiting for the award ceremony and medals for 2nd and 3rd.

photo 044_zpsellzicqv.jpg

photo 046_zpskrbhimhp.jpg

photo 045_zpsuoyusr1c.jpg

Giving the 'Rattler" hand sign, LTC Williams front-and-center

photo 047_zpszstsac0k.jpg

photo 048_zpsed8mc9dp.jpg

photo 049_zpsfsklaiec.jpg

photo 050_zps7r5i74sq.jpg

photo 051_zpsubfqiwja.jpg

photo 053_zps4sylyurv.jpg

He won his age group

photo 059_zpsxiuganla.jpg

photo 054_zpsl39jm6qf.jpg

photo 055_zpsti21zrx0.jpg

photo 056_zpsnkel4z3v.jpg

photo 057_zpsawdzo7wf.jpg

2nd take...a bit closer

photo 057_zpsawdzo7wf.jpg

This is "Mrs. AthleteGuild", the spouse of one of the staff.  

photo 061_zpslfqykine.jpg

My pal Bernadette got 3rd in her age group

photo 060_zpsgieq3eew.jpg

More ward winners

photo 062_zps7ycbndtl.jpg

photo 063_zps2t4k3kuo.jpg

photo 064_zpsjar35d4q.jpg

Right before I left, I was in my car and saw this guy and stopped to take a photo of him, another award winner.  Then I chatted with him for a minute or two, telling him where he could find the photo -  - and NOT realizing until I turned around to get back into my car that I had stopped my vehicle right in front of some poor guy/gal who was trying to back out of hi/her her space to leave.  I owe that driver my PROFUSE apologies...and thanks, too, because that driver was SOOO patient, didn't beep the horn or swear at me or anything, just sat there calmly waiting until I was done and got back in my car and moved.   I owe that person a drink of his/her choice!

photo 065_zpslz16vr3y.jpg

EPILOG

First time I've done this event.  Small event but very well done!  If there had been 5-year age groups, as this was a small event I might have placed, as I am 61.  But my age group for this one was 50 - 99 and, man, there are some speedy dang 50-year old out there, lol, the first 3 males in my age group finished in the high 20s and 30-something.  Anyway,  I got no heart burn with the age group thing, I get it, it's a small event and gotta get the most from the budget available for the race so 50-99 for this one makes sense.  And besides, as you runners who've known me for years all very well know, .I'm not out there to chase medals - been there done that when I was younger and those days are long over for me now - ..I'm out there to chase the Great Legs and have fun!     And to treat doggies to biscuits - which I did a couple of times for this one - and to take photos.  Yeah, I'm definitely a fun runner these days. If I just happen to place - believe me, it is NOT intentional, lol - that's fine, but if I don't, that's fine by me too.    Long as I have fun and finish standing up - important at my age! - then... Mission Accomplished!  And it certainly was accomplished today.

In spite of the hills the course is well-thought out and a very good one, with wide roads, lots of room to maneuver, where I was didn't see anyone crowding each other, and nice kind of 'loop' course, which I personally much prefer to out-and-back courses.  This San Marcos High School course must be one of the best kept secrets in the local area because it really is a nice course and very little vehicle traffic; I'm surprised more RDs (Race Directors) don't use this area for some of their races, it certainly is a good race venue. Nice post-race goodies with bagels, nutrition bars, ice-cold water  waiting for us near the finish - THANK YOU, volunteers for having it right there and not making us have to go look for it, that was a blessing after all those hills! - gatorade, etc.  Very unique 1st place awards and nicely done medals for the other age group winners.  All in all, a very good little event which I hopes grows in the coming years.  I would definitely do this one again and recommend it to my fellow runners.  Mucho thanks to all the law enforcement that was out there for us; to all the volunteers and race organizers who made it all happen for we participants; and to San Marcos High School for the use of the grounds.

Next up for me:  Alamo Beer 5K on August 23.  Yeah, I'm doing a double for the Aug 22-23 weekend, 5K on Saturday, 5K on Sunday.  After I finish this report...I'm taking a nap! 

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Half Crazy K 2.0

I really want to know where the AG winners put those awards. That would freak me out if I saw it half awake.

GinnyinPA

I did an ROTC race last year, and there weren't a lot of older runners. Most were college age. I can see where they would just lump everyone over 50 together for this race.  The hills definitely look challenging.

LRB

I really want to know where the AG winners put those awards. That would freak me out if I saw it half awake.

That is definitely not your run of the mill pint glass. lol