Beginners and Beyond

Indy Women's Half Marathon - nearly melted (Read 64 times)

Ms Chenandler Bong

Saturday was the 3rd Indy Women's HM, which I've run every year.  It's always Labor Day weekend so its a hot race.  But this year was worse as it was hot from the start, upper 70's with high humidity.  Yuck.

So - I'm in tail end of training for my first Ultra in September, NC24.  I just started having  ITBS issues so I cut my last long run short on Thursday (20 instead of 28), rested on Friday and was using this HM as a training run, not a race.  I also ran Hood to Coast last weekend, so I've  had a busy week.  I wasn't feeling any ITBS pain on Saturday so I was thankful for that.  And sold beer while standing for 8 hours on Friday as a fundraiser for my daughter's dance group.  Busy life.

My 9 yo daughter is running the 5k so the whole family drives to the start.  I'm feeling relaxed about my race as I really am just treating it as a training run.  Kylie and I go to packet pickup and I was proud of her when she looked up her own bib number and got her own bib from the volunteer, even pinning it on herself (she's growing up Cry).  She won her AG the first year, placed 3rd last year and was very determined to win this year.  I had success motivating her to train this year by taking her to our LRS on Wednesday evenings this summer to run in their 5k training program.  For some reason, getting free Gatorade there and the attention/encouragement of other runners really kept her focused and interested in training.  Nice 3 generation picture here - notice my bored son sitting on the curb, eating Frosted Flakes from a baggy.

We head outside to the starting line, find my mom who was also running the 5k and wait for the start.  This is a smaller race, only about 1000 women total.  I line up a little further back then I normally would have and waited for the countdown.  3-2-1 and we're off!

I start running and know based on the heat that I'm making the right decision to take this easy.  About mile 2, a lady comes up to me and complements my outfit.  So we started chatted away.  This was her first race since she ran a 50k in April so she wasn't in racing shape either.  So we stay running to together, talking about races we've done, our kids, the woes of gaining weight while Ultra training.  I stick with my plan of walking the water stops and I feel pretty comfortable, effort wise and temp wise.  The miles are ticking by and I'm enjoying myself.  Take a Gu at mile 6 and continue on.  The water stops are about every 1.5 miles so just when I wanted to have one, there was one.  Very well placed.

About mile 7, I noticed my new running partner wasn't doing much talking so I asked how she was doing.  She said she needed to let me go ahead as the pace was getting to her.  So I tell her to find me at the end and we'll have a beer.  I continue on, concentrating now more on staying evenly paced and picking off people who were suffering.  Volunteers were handing out ice cold wet washcloths at mile 8, a welcome surprise.  At this water station, I notice a volunteer waving a red flag and I asked her if the race had been red-flagged and she confirmed it had been.  Ok, not a problem but I still have 5 miles to go.  They black-flagged this race the first year so I know they are very cautious, probably due to so many first time runners/walkers who do this one.  I continue on, picking up the pace a little bit.

There was a timing mat at mile 10 and I realize that I'm still feeling really good for only having 5k left.  So I decide to really put some effort in and start passing some people.  The runners are more spread out though so it's harder to catch anyone but I get some.  More people are walking around mile 11, complaining about the sun and heat.  I wonder how my daughter did on her 5k.

I round Military Park, see the mile 12 sign and know that it's nearly done.  I can see the post race party area across the road and can practically taste my beer.  I start really speeding up now and round the last corner, passing the only person in front of me.  I sprint to the finish but hear footsteps behind me.  I'm not letting her pass me in front of this crowd so I really push past the finish line and kept her behind me.

Another icy cold wash cloth is put on my neck along with a beautiful butterfly shaped medal.  Whew, so happy to finish feeling good.

Official time was 2:05:19, slowest I've run that race in the 3 years I've done it but again, this was just a training run for me.

My daughter finished her 5k in 29:02!!!  My husband ran with her and said her first mile was 8:02!!  I guess she was racing to pass another girl and they kept leap frogging each other until Kylie had enough of that and sprinted ahead, out of the other girl's reach.  She was thrilled to finish 1st and accept her trophy.  I was so happy for her as she really trained for this race, taking 6 mins off her time from last year!!  We stopped by our LRS afterwards to show off her medal and trophy.  They took her picture and posted it on their FB page.  Love that girl!!

Marathon and ultra marathon runner.  Sour Patch Kid addict.

Docket_Rocket

Great job, Mary and Kylie!  Smart decision to run it easy.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Love the Half

OK.  I'll bite.  What does it mean when they "red flag" a race?

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Love the Half

BTW, you are always welcome to suffer in Charleston next Labor Day weekend with 15 miles and 1,200 feet of elevation change.  They even have a flat 5K available and early registration for the 15 miler was only $35 this year.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

OK.  I'll bite.  What does it mean when they "red flag" a race?

They had the same system in place for the Mini:

"There will be a simple flag warning system all along the course to communicate to participants the status of weather-related or course related conditions. Flags are located at each mile marker along the course. Please observe the flag warning system for your safety. .

GREEN FLAG—Go! Everything is fine, proceed normally.
            YELLOW FLAG—Caution! The heat index is at a point that runners and walkers should slow down and drink plenty of water.
            RED FLAG—Danger! Weather is impeding the race. Runners and walkers should slow down further and drink plenty of water. Official timing  of the event has stopped and no awards will be given out at this time.
            BLACK FLAG—Stop and Seek Shelter! Race has been cancelled due to extreme weather or course emergency. An event such as lightning,  tornado or human disaster has or is occurring and all participants need to seek shelter immediately."

They'll tell you that failure is not an option.  That's ridiculous.  Failure is always an option.  It is the easiest and most readily available option.  It's your choice though.

LRB

Words you will likely never hear me utter; "so I cut my last long run short on Thursday (20 instead of 28)".  Wow!

Man, NC24 is creeping right up on you!  It is probably good that you cut that run short, it is probably a good time to taper...if ultra runners even do that!  lol

Congrats on getting the fam out there, and molding a future star!

Did you ever meet up with the runner who dropped back, and what is in the cup?  Alcoholics Inquiring minds want to know.  ; )

hog4life

Mary, I always enjoy reading your RR's, thanks for sharing. Did you meet up with the lady you were running through miles 7-8?

workinprogress11

Great job in miserable conditions. I considered signing up for this as a gauge of fitness for Chicago, but didn't specifically because I was nervous about the weather.

Your daughter is so cute and a talented runner. Congratulations to her!

Birdwell

Along with the red flag question, what time was the race start?

Out where I am (Southwest Utah, and Phoenix Metro before that) any races held between March 1st and October 1st , that I have run, have start time prior to 6:30 a.m.

Just curious if they do early starts out there in an attempt to "beat the weather"

Nice work on the race, and especially getting the whole family involved.

Great job, Mary.  Good luck with the rest of your NC24 training, and hope that IT band stops acting up.

So under the Red Flag, the official results were thrown out?  That's fairly nonsensical, if so.

Ms Chenandler Bong

Words you will likely never hear me utter; "so I cut my last long run short on Thursday (20 instead of 28)".  Wow!

Man, NC24 is creeping right up on you!  It is probably good that you cut that run short, it is probably a good time to taper...if ultra runners even do that!  lol

Congrats on getting the fam out there, and molding a future star!

Did you ever meet up with the runner who dropped back, and what is in the cup?  Alcoholics Inquiring minds want to know.  ; )

NC24 is creeping up!!  You should come hang out with us, hand me water and make sure Bob! doesn't eat all the donuts.

I did see the other runner at the results area.  We chatted for a few minutes, thanked each other for running together.  Races do go faster with someone else.

Beer!!  This race post party is amazing.  Free beer, mimosas, bloody Mary's, strawberries dipped in chocolate, shrimp cocktail.....it's lush.

Ms Chenandler Bong

Along with the red flag question, what time was the race start?

Out where I am (Southwest Utah, and Phoenix Metro before that) any races held between March 1st and October 1st , that I have run, have start time prior to 6:30 a.m.

Just curious if they do early starts out there in an attempt to "beat the weather"

Nice work on the race, and especially getting the whole family involved.

It started at 7:30!  The sun was already up.  I think they would do better to push it to 7:00 or 6:30.  Hopefully they will make some of those changes for next year.

Red flag means "weather is bad, run with caution".  Results still count, it's just a warning.  This flag systems are common in the Midwest, do other races not have them?

Docket_Rocket

We do have them down here, except it would be a green flag all the way up to 85F and then we would get a yellow flag.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page