Beginners and Beyond

Mathesis Monday Penguins (Read 31 times)

SheCan

Morning Penguins!!!!

AFM - I was going to try to bump my peak mileage up to 65 last week, but stayed at 60.  I reduced my planned mileage for Friday, and it was a great call.  My long run on Saturday was amazing.  I ran 17 miles and the last few miles were almost a full minute per mile faster than the first couple of miles.  All told it was just under 2 hours and 40 minutes.  I still felt good enough to run 6 1/2 last night to get my 60 for the week.  I'm also stoked because in my first week of fund raising for St. Jude, we raised $280.  The goal is $1,000.  So, that's a hot start.  This weekend we mapped out a route from my house to Notre Dame stadium.  It's just over 19 miles.  We're organizing a tailgate party, and I'm going to run to the stadium to help raise money.  I think that alone will raise a good chunk of money based on the feedback I got when I floated the idea.  It definitely makes the miles fly by quicker when you're doing it for a good cause.  6 1/2 miles again tonight.  Have a great day.

Awood, you're such an inspiration!  That tailgate party run to raise money is just wonderful.  Are others going to join you in the run?

Kristin-- Hi to you in Georgia!

Love this ^ cartoon, Scotty.  I'm not sure it's as funny though as it it puts things in perspective.

I almost didn't run today after yesterday's fiasco of a run.  Noticing that it was about 15* cooler, I thought screw it, I'm going for it.  So I got in a very pleasant 6 today.  I'm so glad I just went for it.  Also, got my planks done.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Way to get out there, Cherie!  15 degrees cooler....so it would only be in the 80s for you in the Arizona morning instead of the 90s?  Wink  Congrats on your miles!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

SheCan

Way to get out there, Cherie!  15 degrees cooler....so it would only be in the 80s for you in the Arizona morning instead of the 90s?  Wink  Congrats on your miles!

Thank you, Scotty dearest!  Yup, upper 70s to about 80ish and overcast when i finished today.  Sooooo much better then lower 90s and sunny trying to do that long run yesterday.  Ugh!   I swear though, it really is hotter where you live than it is here (usually.)  This, however, is my hardest time of the year.  The end of August and through September warm up again, and it's like a 2nd summer that goes on and on and on.... well you get it.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I'm going to ask my buddy / 10K rival to ride along with me on his bike, but I'll be the only runner.  We researched the safest possible route, but I think everyone would feel better about it if I could have someone follow me.

Morning Penguins!!!!

Awood, you're such an inspiration!  That tailgate party run to raise money is just wonderful.  Are others going to join you in the run?

Kristin-- Hi to you in Georgia!

Love this ^ cartoon, Scotty.  I'm not sure it's as funny though as it it puts things in perspective.

I almost didn't run today after yesterday's fiasco of a run.  Noticing that it was about 15* cooler, I thought screw it, I'm going for it.  So I got in a very pleasant 6 today.  I'm so glad I just went for it.  Also, got my planks done.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

hog4life

Hi everyone, this is and will be a cleansing day. So wonderful!!!

Awood and Kristin, I plan to donate later this week.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Someone asked me in a reply to one of my reports what I say to people when I ask to take their photo, and someone else asked me once how I get so many people to look so happy in them, smiling, etc.   Well, let me tell you, it's tough, cuz I am  a very  shy person......

No... I'm not exactly the shy type. I just walk right up to them and ask them if I can take their photo.  Before I take the photo, though, I do tell them it is going to be online - some people don't like to be online or want their kids online, etc, and I respect that - and that I always send a copy of the report and photos to the Race Director, and I tell them exactly where to find the link to the photos - www.scottydogreports.com, my simplistic blog -  if they want to save a copy of their photo.

Sometimes I don't even have to ask.  As many events as I have done in the past - for example, 52 done in 2010, 63 in 2011, 74 in 2012, and am up to 47 so far this year - and with a photo report done for each one, lots of folks already know where my reports are and sometimes even come and find me to get a photo of them taken.    When I  showed up at a few past events I've done, I even heard some people jokingly call out "Scottydog's at our race!  Photo op!"  lol.

A friend and I also maintain a local race calendar - www.centexruns.com - and we put on this calender every race we can find in the Austin-San Antonio area   (driving distance up to 100 miles radius from San Antonio and Austin).  We try to make this site a 'one-stop' place to get all the race info - you can link to race registration here, get directions to the race, and so forth.  My photo is on this website too and Steve (the founder of this site) and I get lots of positive feedback for doing this.  It's a free site - no ads, etc - we do it as a community service for our runners, to give something back to our local running community.

So with all that, I am getting a bit of local running population notoriety now and getting recognized sometimes by people I haven't met yet,  and several local Race Directors actually give me free entry or discount entry to a few of their races a year so I will do a report on their events....sweeet!

As for making them smile or laugh for the photos...well, I just happen to be a natural idiot and the 'class clown' of my local running community, with lots of stupid and corny jokes, puns and comments, so I just chat with them while taking the photo and more often than not, they do laugh or smile.  I do joke around with them a lot - especially the ladies Big grin - but they know it's all in fun and so I don't get in trouble, not from the ladies, not from the guys and not even with my wife Gail.  She was a runner too - hip problems now, so she can't run anymore - and has done a lot of events with me in the past and still goes to several events a year with me  - she walks them - and her photo has been in several of my reports, so lots of the local community runners know her too and, it's funny, the other ladies all love her when they meet her, lol.   She has a pretty good sense of humor herself.  I guess she'd have to, to be married to me nearly 30 years now, lol.

So I find for the most part, the majority of people at these events are very friendly and outgoing, so it all works out.  I guess the lesson here is:  Don't be shy!  If you reach out, chances are you will get a positive response, cuz runners are really good people overall.  And you'll make a lot of new friends/acquaintances too.  At your next event, walk right up to someone you don't know and say hello!  Big grin

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

5@10:30 with dw.  Just warm enough to sweat.  Could have gone longer, but don't need to push it.

Awood, running around ND stadium and the library was my favorite run when I was there for a class several years ago.

Scotty, keep shooting, love the smiling Texans.   Hope to be in one of the pix, some day.   Congrats on being a Webmaster.

Sloooow.

Evening, all.

Scotty- Hope you enjoyed your rest day!

MNMickey- Nice work on the planking! I think my record is like... 30 seconds, lol.

Docket, hopefully your run went/is going well.

Dave, glad you had a small break in the weather. It's always miserable when the heat comes back though. Nice 7!

Jerry, very nice streak! Hope the hip isn't giving you too much trouble, you're definitely getting your mileage back up.

Awood, I'm constantly amazed at how well your training is going! The run to the stadium sounds like an awesome idea.

Jimmy, I've heard that horseback riding can use some hidden muscles. Hope your miles go well tonight.

Bin, sorry to hear about your cough. Get well soon!

Jack, have fun with the sadistic massage guy Smile Hope he can give you some answers on your foot.

HopesMom, sheesh! I bet you'll be glad when things settle down there.

Phillie, maybe you need a couple of days break? Hopefully your RD will reboot your legs.

Kristin, 4 miles in light rain sounds very nice!

Lauren, I've heard that equally sore is usually a good thing. It's isolated pain that you need to worry about. Hope your DD feels better soon!

Cherie, I missed about your run yesterday. I'm glad today was a nice 6 though. I think some runs just don't click. Enjoy the cooler weather!

Mitch, enjoy your cleansing day. What did I miss?

I'm back to no running. I was starting to feel better from my virus, and I got hit with a bad cold. Spent the weekend in bed, feel like I'm swallowing glass. Pain in my chest when I breathe, ulcers in my mouth, apparently I've been stress chewing my lip, I'm a right mess! I'm starting to think there is no hope at all for a November 4th 10K.

In other news, my partner had to test out a LifePack machine, so he ran an EKG on me. He got an abnormal  EKG notification for sinus bradycardia. My heart rate was 47, lol. Running does a body good. I can't wait to get back in the rhythm.

Docket_Rocket

Hi, Coralie!  Is your partner issue bad?  Hopefully it was not as bad as that sounded.  Good for you on the 47.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Sloooow.

Hi, Coralie!  Is your partner issue bad?  Hopefully it was not as bad as that sounded.  Good for you on the 47.

I may have phrased that badly! He did the EKG on me, the EKG flagged me because of my low heart rate. My blood pressure was excellent too. My other half is the Safety Officer for an ambulance company, he tests all the new equipment before it goes on the unit, so I was his guinea pig for the night.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Coralie - No running again?  That stinks.  Take care of yourself.

Jerry - Sounds like you're back on track.  I may see you at a race after all.

Mitch - Thanks man.  Without a race any time soon, training can make you a little itchy.  This fundraising stuff seems to help.  Not sure why.  It just does.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Docket_Rocket

Hehe.  Hope the cold goes away soon so you can go back to running.

I may have phrased that badly! He did the EKG on me, the EKG flagged me because of my low heart rate. My blood pressure was excellent too. My other half is the Safety Officer for an ambulance company, he tests all the new equipment before it goes on the unit, so I was his guinea pig for the night.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

tracilynn

Man I have been so busy. I ran 3.2 today and did a 1min 15 sec plank!  That's exciting as I could barely do a minute a week or so ago. Today marks 1 week since the plank challenge started. 3 weeks to go!  Get to plankin'

~~~~~~~

Traci

tracilynn

Coralie, hope you feel better soon. I remember last winter getting hit with one illness after another.  Great news on heart rate and BP THOUGH

~~~~~~~

Traci

Docket_Rocket

Ooh, we need results in the penguins.  Who can catch me?  Muhahahahaha.

Damaris

Fundraising Page