Beginners and Beyond

Owensboro Memorial Day Half Marathon RR (Read 67 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I definitely made the mistake of chatting, I wish I had started up a little further than her, especially since she managed to finish about 5 minutes ahead of me.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Zelanie

Sorry that you had a bad race.  The sun is no joke when it's been so long since we've seen it.

The good news is that your bad race was still 5 minutes faster than my bad race last April.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Thanks Zel.

Sorry that you had a bad race.  The sun is no joke when it's been so long since we've seen it.

The good news is that your bad race was still 5 minutes faster than my bad race last April.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

Love the Half

Pretty much repeating what's already been said.  Talking with other runners just wastes energy.  Any temps above 50 degrees if it's humid and anything above 55 regardless of humidity will affect your time.  The one thing I haven't seen mentioned is that you said this race was a spur of the moment decision.  It is possible that you simply weren't mentally ready to lay it all on the line given that you hadn't spent a lot of time thinking about and preparing for this race.  That's certainly true for me.  I'm always a bit shocked at how much faster I can run a goal race compared to a race I'm running just to run in it.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I definitely didn't train for this specifically and I had originally planned on just having fun, but getting closer to it I got worked up and really wanted to beat my PR.  It wasn't a goal race, the only goal race I really have this year is my debut marathon in November so I really shouldn't be too hard on myself.

And yep, talking was a big mistake... it probably took two minutes of what could have gotten me under 2 hours even with the walk breaks in the final 3-4 miles. Sad lesson 100% learned.

PRs

Mmmmm...beer

Still a good effort considering it wasn't a goal race. Smile   As mentioned, the chatting and dog chasing probably cost you the sub-2.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

music_girl117

I don't really have anything helpful to add, but I sympathize!  Sounds like you know what to do going forward though; go get 'em in the next race!

Any 10k races on the horizon?  Given that you are looking to lower your HM PR, I bet you could smoke the 10k time you have in your signature!

PRs:

5k - 22:53  (May 2015)

10k - 50:00 (unofficial; part of 20k race, March 2015); 50:33 (official; July 2016)

HM - 1:48:40  (Apr. 2015)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Well, I usually chit-chat on occasion when I am doing an event.  But of course the difference is that I'm not a RACER and could give a crap about my finish time these days, so I make sure to stay in the back of the pack these days with lots of other chit-chatters.  Locally, we all know who each other are and try not to bother those we know who want to actually race the event - which includes some of our back-of-the-pack folks who may be shooting for a personal PR or whatever.   I definitely would have stopped for the dog too, but again, that's me being me.  You are NOT me, you ARE a racer.   So focus and get it done and leave the dogs and chit-chatting to the folks like me who are the 'fun runners' out there.  That's OUR job, to do all the 'odd stuff' on the course - like catching dogs -  so the racers can RACE.  

As for the sun-and-heat, as others said, if you're not acclimated to running in that things can go downhill really fast.  You can't do anything about the weather but you can do a bit of 'heat training' to help you acclimatize (just be careful, don't overdo it and do yourself harm), you can find plenty of methods for doing this online.  Also, as Loves The Half mentioned, you said this was a spur of the moment race for you, so he may be right, you might have not been totally mentally committed to this one either.   All these things seemed to add up to you having a personal bad day for a race for you..and yet you still finished only 1 minute off of your "B" goal, so I would say that is at least some success for you.

Mull over all the advice you've been given here by the other talented RACERS (LTH, LRB, Zelanie, Damaris, George, etc), figure out what you really want to do, pick a goal race in the future for you...and then go get it!  You are quite a talented runner, no doubt in mind  you will get it sorted out and then you will go and kick that goal race's butt!  Good luck!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Thanks Dtothe2nd, yep those 2 mistakes are definitely note... lol.

music_girl I've only got one 10k planned that is next month - June 13 Howl at the Moon 10k, it is at night so I am definitely going to enjoy it. My debut marathon training doesn't start until the end of June, which is when I will become completely focused on that training and nothing else. Smile But I am no longer really into shorter distance races... at least for a while, so I honestly need to forget about speed and short distances other than maybe trail races. Smile

Scotty - yep on all things, every one of those points you made are correct. Smile

PRs

Just B.S.

Good job despite the heat. I wear headphones but don't listen to music. That way no one even tries

To chat and I don't have to waste energy telling them I don't talk during races Smile

Our marathon 2 weeks ago went from 50ish at the start to 75 and full sun. I had not done a LR in

Temps over 45 nor felt 75 since last August. It was brutal.

Not bad for a spur of the moment effort, Free.

I'd say the wayward dog, the walk breaks, and the sore foot are the culprits of not going sub 2.   Chatting, not so much -- only if it possibly distracted you to fall off pace.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Thanks Beth, looking over things now I am trying not to be hard on myself.

Jay - I'd have to say the chatting was the biggest part, at least during the beginning, I know it slowed me down about 1-2 minutes. When my friend caught up with me I was doing a good 8:53 min pace, which was right around mile 1, by mile 2 and 3 I was at 9:49 min pace.

The heat was the 2nd culprit, I haven't been training in the sun or heat, and that hurt me bad.

The dog............. I don't really regret at all, I love animals far too much to blame the dog.... the owner on the other hand is a different story. You'd think she heard about the race (this was it's 5th year) and would have kept her dog inside or on a leash.

No worries though, overall the more I think about it, it was a great race. I have one more half before the marathon and it's in October, I'll enjoy it more than race it, but I am sure the cooler temps will help a lot. Smile

PRs

hog4life

Hey, don't beat yourself up, it sounds like the heat sucked the life out of you. Congrats on finishing, you weren't too far off the sub 2

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Thanks Smile Yes, I can honestly say quite literally I felt the sun sucking the life out of me lol.

Hey, don't beat yourself up, it sounds like the heat sucked the life out of you. Congrats on finishing, you weren't too far off the sub 2

PRs