Beginners and Beyond

How much of a weight loss would you be willing to accept? (Read 273 times)

happylily

How many pounds, the maximum, would you be willing to lose if there was a possibility that it would make you faster for a goal race, or just with running in general? And where on the BMI chart would that new weight put you? (underweight/normal/overweight)

This training cycle, I have involuntary lost a bit of weight... BMI calculators now put me squarely in the underweight category. On a health level, being what the calculators call underweight doesn't seem to affect me. I am not getting sick more often than I used to and I eat more than ever in my life. My training is going just as it should. Aesthetically, though, I am starting to look a bit too scrawny, especially from the waist up. Oddly, I don't seem to care about it greatly. Am I focusing on my running goals too much?

How far are you willing to go for additional speed? Would you let some of your physical appearance be hurt in exchange for a lighter, faster runner you?

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Village people

Interesting question. Right now I am about in the middle of the healthy bmi range. If I was to lose 10-15 lbs, I would be at the lower end of the healthy range anf that would be low enough. That would put me below my HS weight. I am closing in on that, right now but I am not really trying to lose weight.

Nevrgivup

Perfect timing Lily. I just read this article today. Personally, I'd like to lose 5 pounds myself, but any more than that and my race performance would suffer. ( I think ) and my physical appearance would suffer as well. I like to have curves and definition.  This is a pretty good article and ironically I read it today. My BMI is around 19 so in the healthy range. If I lost 5 pounds my BMI would be right at the cusp of underweight. I think once you get to a point of being too thin your performances do suffer and you have to worry about injuries.

http://www.athleticsweekly.com/blog/too-thin-to-win/

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

LRB

I am going through something similar now.  I originally intended to lose around 7 lbs, but have now lost close to 20.  I am however, getting to the point where I am going to cut my losses (see what I did there) and learn how to run and train at this weight.

To your question, yes, I was willing to sacrifice a bit of muscle and thus my appearance to improve my performance and efficiency in the marathon.  The comments I have received have been mixed, but they were mixed when I was gaining weight as well. 

Others may, but for me personally, I have no issues with the current man in the mirror.  I had none with the previous one either, this was done purely to hopefully make me a more efficient runner.  If it doesn't work, I will go back to drinking my beloved wine after work every night, so it's a win win!

delicate flower

My ideal race weight is 150.  I don't need to drop much below that.  I'm currently at 160 thanks to my injury and not really caring too much about gaining some weight during recovery (I'm trending back down though).  I've dipped below 150 before and people were telling me I looked sick.  I could probably lose some more weight if I stopped lifting weights but I like the way I fill out a shirt.   

<3

Village people

Others may, but for me personally, I have no issues with the current man in the mirror.  I had none with the previous one either, this was done purely to hopefully make me a more efficient runner.  If it doesn't work, I will go back to drinking my beloved wine after work every night, so it's a win win!

If I really wanted to lose weight, that would have to go.

Love the Half

I am 6'0" and weighed 155 this morning.  I would love to be around 145 but I eat too damn much to get there.  That would put my BMI at 19.7.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Nevrgivup

Me too. Big grin

LRB

As far as the BMI calculator, that thing once listed me as obese (I think it was 28 at the time) despite a body fat % of 11, so I have not put much any credence into it since.

Dr. Cornsitter

I am 6'0" and weighed 155 this morning.  I would love to be around 145 but I eat too damn much to get there.  That would put my BMI at 19.7.

I dated a man for 7 years who was 6'0" and weighed 136 when we first started dating. He was 153 when we stopped, and he complained about how fat he'd gotten. But he never (and I mean NEVER) worked out or ran or did anything. I bet if he ran he'd weigh 125 within two days. So if you weigh 155, as fit and healthy as you are, I bet you're exactly where you're supposed to be Smile

Quote from BeachRunner3234 on 6/25/2013 at 8:20 PM:

So I'm currently sitting with a bag of frozen corn in my ass.

LRB

Yep, my last glass was on January 5th.  I have been in a weight loss plunge ever since!

Nevrgivup

As far as the BMI calculator, that thing once listed me as obese (I think it was 28 at the time) despite a body fat % of 11, so I have not put much any credence into it since.

What the American Heart Association looks at now is waist circumference. If its greater than 35 you are considered obese. Of course it also takes weight and bmi into consideration too, but this has been added to cardiovascular risk and health.

Jess runs for bacon

I would be supremely thrilled to lose 15 pounds. I'm down 15 since I started running a year and a half ago (and I've been down to 20). I drink and eat too much though, especially when stressed. But now the stress is gone and I have lots of time to work out (not to mention not enough money to eat out all the time), so maybe soon! I'm 5'3 and 130 lbs right now.

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

I'm in the same situation as Hilary right now. I'd really like to lose about 10 pounds (I weigh 123 now) but I'm not too concerned with my weight either way because my performance is still good. Am I the only one who gained weight doing more mileage, though? Angry

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54

YAYpril - B-Plus

I'm currently working (albeit slowly) on weight loss. I've lost about 4-6 pounds (depending on what time of day I weigh myself) since the beginning of the year. I'd be happy losing another 10 or 15 and that's probably when I'd want to stop. According to BMI charts I'm technically overweight by a couple pounds, although you can't tell by looking at me. BMI is stupid. Losing 10-15 more would put me square in the "normal" range.