Beginners and Beyond

Non-running workouts, simple routine to get a bit of muscle? (Read 88 times)

ninian

Hi everyone, been a while since I've posted but I always lurk.

I recently got a job that affords me to work from home the majority of the time, I live in a condo building that has a gym and pool. In about 7 years of living here I have only visited the gym once. I've been running pretty consistently for over a year now and have dropped to about 155LBS (I am 5'11). I'm happy with my weight but I am getting a bit too skinny, I don't have a great deal of fat left but would like to get some more muscle in the upper body.

Anyhow, to cut to the point and stop rabbling I am going to try and get to the gym on my lunch breaks 3 days a week or so for about ~30 minutes. What are some things I should do? Anyone have any similar routines to share? I have no clue or experience when it comes to this type of workout, I have always been a cardio guy. Can't find a whole lot of examples on the internet that work with running.

Thanks!

Mmmmm...beer

Since you're working from home, you could buy a pullup bar to hang in a doorway and do pullups and pushups.  Just those two exercises are great for the upper body.  Can't help you on a weight routine, since all I do are pushups and pullups.  Helps me build/maintain good upper body strength and it's easy to do at home.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Docket_Rocket

I do pushups, pullups, situps and squats every day.  If I have time from running, I try to do a more organized weight training but most of the time, I only have time for those 4.

The good thing about working from home is that you can do sets of these throught the day.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

YAYpril - B-Plus

You should check out http://www.strengthrunning.com - it might give you some good ideas. He also has great rehab routines for certain trouble areas - I've personally used his ITBS rehab routine with success. It's a good website for every runner to have bookmarked, in my opinion.

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

+1 pushups and pullups

Regular, narrow, wide for both exercises...if you are going to use the gym consider using a trainer to set up a routine and to make sure you're using proper technique. I will also add that I like the iron strength routine (google it)...but I recommend working up to the levelindicated by the routine...it's easy and all you need are some 12-15# dumbbells. (more than an upper body workout, but runner specific)

**Ask me about streaking**

Docket_Rocket

Thanks for sharing.

You should check out http://www.strengthrunning.com - it might give you some good ideas. He also has great rehab routines for certain trouble areas - I've personally used his ITBS rehab routine with success. It's a good website for every runner to have bookmarked, in my opinion.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

MrNamtor

Besides weights, there are some calisthenics that have already been mentioned which are great, like pushup and squats. I'd add burpies and flutterkicks to the mix.

Flutterkicks are a deceptively effective exercise  where you lie on you back, head raised off the ground with chin resting on your chest, your arms are straight at the elbow and held at about a 45 degree angle in front of the body. The legs are similarly straight at the knee and held about 6 inches off the ground and alternately "fluttered". As one leg is coming up the other is going down.

There are many variations of this, and you can invent a few.

Flutterkicks work the neck, shoulders abs and quads. I learned them from a former special forces guy who put it as "they tighten up all your shit in the front". And that they do.

#artbydmcbride

Pushups

box jumps

Runners run

Hip Redux

What are your goals?  Are you looking to cross train, or really just improve upper body strength?

The best moves for a 30 minute sessions a few times a week will involve using your bigger muscles - so I wouldn't waste time with single-muscle isolation moves like bicep curls.  I would do push ups, pull ups, chest presses/flies and back rows or pull downs.   The chest presses/flies and back rows/pull downs can be varied each session - some one arm, some with the bar, some with dumbbells, cables etc.  I can find you some illustrations of those if you'd like.

Then I would add in planks and/or mountain climbers for the core work.   I am anti-sit up after all my back stuff, but YMMV.

Good luck Smile