Beginners and Beyond

Any Dentists in this hizzy?? (DA's or slept at a Holiday Inn Express last night?)..... (Read 117 times)

LRB

Am I the only who loves the pain inflicted by a dentist?

You and this guy would get along great!

happylily

Steve Martin makes a cute dentist!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

LRB

Steve Martin makes a cute dentist!

I can recite the words to that song in a drunken stupor, but couldn't sing one verse of the ABC's!

Docket_Rocket

It was not until I found a good dentist that explained to me that certain mouthbreathers get redder gumlines and that I was doing everything right, that I stopped freaking out.  Make sure you get your cleaning done every 6 months; that helps.

FWIW, my braces cured most of the mouth breathing issues.

Yes, I sure am.  Later in the day now, I'm a little less concerned with it all.  I don't want to spend half my day on dental hygiene.  If brushing twice a day, flossing once and rinsing ain't enough, maybe the dentist will just have to deal with longer cleanings.  Whatever, that's what they're getting paid for, right?

We'll see how this wisdom tooth referral/follow up goes.  Last time they never did call me back so there's 2 shots at it with *their* doc who says he can do it (he has to review my X-rays first) and/or the oral surgeon.

Either way I'll ask for a V & D cocktail with a little salt.  Cool

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Will run for scenery.

Am I the only who loves the pain inflicted by a dentist? There is something about tooth pain and the taste of my own blood in my mouth, mmmmmmm....

Okay, I said too much. Now you all know that I'm crazy. Big grin

Ah crazy but not alone!

Check out the original "Little Shop of Horrors" .  Not the musical from the 1980's, but the original from 1960 with a young Jack Nicholson in a bit part as a pain-loving dental patient.  The film is so low-budget it's now public domain.

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

LRB

Check out the original "Little Shop of Horrors" .  Not the musical from the 1980's, but the original from 1960 with a young Jack Nicholson in a bit part as a pain-loving dental patient. 

I never saw that one but Bill Murray played that role in the '86 one.  As campy as it is, it is one of my all time favorite movies.  I have even seen the play!

Sloooow.

It was not until I found a good dentist that explained to me that certain mouthbreathers get redder gumlines and that I was doing everything right, that I stopped freaking out.  Make sure you get your cleaning done every 6 months; that helps.

FWIW, my braces cured most of the mouth breathing issues.

I'm a mouth-breather too. My dentist told me I have a short upper lip (the space between the top of the lip and bottom of the nostril). My orthodontist said he could resolve the problem for me by cutting into my gum line on the inside, to lengthen my lip. I phased out at cutting and gums though.

Now I've been Googling mouth breathing and I'm all depressed about it, lol.

Zelanie

Don't get your wisdom teeth out in-house if you're over, say, 18-20.  I made that mistake a couple of years ago.  I had an impacted tooth that finally, at age 36, decided to break through the gumline and wreak all kinds of havoc.  Dentist looks at xrays and thinks he can do it in-house.  I liked the idea because it was a whole lot cheaper.

What followed was a total nightmare.  Like, the dentist had to keep cancelling all his other afternoon appointments because the tooth would NOT come out, and he had to sit there and keep working at it.  It was gruesome.  He also ended up breaking the molar in front of it in the process.  I ended up with a round of antibiotics and a free crown on the tooth he broke (which that tooth would have needed eventually, but still).

Apparently, your bones harden as you get older and something that would be a routine in-house extraction for a youngun is actually quite a bit more difficult later on.

lagrandegazelle

If you really need to have your wisdom teeth pulled, go to a surgeon: they're used to it so they are very efficient and do less trauma to the surrounding area. My 4 wisdom teeth were pulled in around 30 minutes by a surgeon, even though their position was not optimal at all for them to be removed easily.