Beginners and Beyond

Hustle 4 Heart RR - AKA Baby's First 5k (Read 46 times)

Trail Monster

Today I had planned to veg out and get some stuff done around the house. I knew Shane had planned to run a 5k and, at the last minute, the kids and I decided to go watch. We drove out to Westminster College in New Wilmington, PA in plenty of time.

Shane picked up his bib and shirt while the kids played on the track. I chatted with our friends, Bonnie and Herb, from the timing company, Miles of Smiles, and Harry of the Big Beaver Big Dawgs. It was cool, breezy, and overcast.

Kids on the track

At the last minute Gemma (8) decided she wanted to run too. So, of course, Ash (2) wanted to join in. We hurriedly registered and gathered on the track for the beginning of the race. Ash gave daddy a good luck hug and then we were off.

As the leaders took off around the track I counted Shane to be in 12th place. I figured he would do well. The girls and I were probably 12 from the back. Gemma decided to take off and run ahead while I walked and jogged with Ash. We headed off the track, through a parking lot, over a bridge, and around the Westminster campus.

Ash was doing well and I wondered how long it would be before she gave up. We came to the water station (which had no water, only some kind of orange drink) and I got Ash a cup. We carried it for awhile and she took a couple sips. I finally dumped it and stuck the empty in my pocket. It was beginning to get really warm so I took our coats off and tied them around my waist.

We came to an four-way intersection and a volunteer directed us to run straight ahead to a stop sign, turn around, and come back to the intersection. Then we turned right and ran a loop around a small block and came back down to the same intersection. Then we went straight through the intersection and ran a loop around a parking lot before returning to the intersection one last time and turning back the way we had run up. This cloverleaf cluster**** led to the front runners being misdirected, including Shane. The first 15 or so runners ended up missing the run around the block and instead ended up on the other side of a small lake before about 5 of them headed off another direction, getting more lost, and the rest reversed course.

At the back of the pack Ash and I had no problems but it was irritating trying to figure out which way to go from the same spot over and over again while not running into the runners in front of us and the walkers behind us who were heading in different directions. We finally headed back the way we had come and stopped at the water stop again. Right around here we caught Gemma and we all stuck together for a little bit until she decided to walk in with another little girl. Ash decided she wanted picked up so I jogged with her for awhile and we left Gemma a little behind. Shane had finished much earlier despite all the wrong turns and he walked in the rest of the way with Gem.

Warm up laps on the track

I jogged with Ash to the track and then put her down to do the last lap on her own. We ran side by side and then I pushed her through the chute. Shane made it in time to get a picture but it didn't turn out. Sad  Her time was 48:27. Not bad at all for a 2 year old! Gemma finished about a minute behind her but didn't receive an official time. I don't think she has the competitve spirit. Smile

We headed over to the finish line tent and quickly realized they had run out of water. Between the lack of water at the aid station, the misdirection, and the lack of water at the finish we were kind of upset so we just left. Turns out we should have stuck around because Shane did get first in his age group.

Overall, I'd say the race itself was pretty poorly planned and directed but the experience of running with both of my girls for the first time made it well worth it! Guess it's time to get them into some Altra Jr.'s!

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

hog4life

One word. Priceless!

Docket_Rocket

Great memories there!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

That's awesome.  What a way to spend your morning.  If they become runners, the youngest will be able to say they ran their first 5K at 2.  What a wild story that will be.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

daisymae25

Squidward Bike Rider

Wow, your youngest is 2 already!  I remember back when she was first born.  And I love your other daughter's name, Gemma, very pretty name.  Glad it was a good day for all of you. Smile

LRB

Nice!

Trail Monster

Thanks everyone! I'm really excited that the baby was able do this with us, sans stroller, for the first time yesterday. It's going to be a great summer now that we can all share in the fun!

That's awesome.  What a way to spend your morning.  If they become runners, the youngest will be able to say they ran their first 5K at 2.  What a wild story that will be.

I sure hope so! I think the youngest will be great someday! My oldest will probably be a dancer or something but that's okay too. Smile

Thanks Daisymae! I can't believe she'll be 3 this summer! It's been a wild ride!

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Glad you had fun with the family and got everyone involved.  Way to set a great example for the little ones.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

The poorly planned race and misdirection was awful but, as the others already said, you and family sure built some memories there!  Congrats to all your family!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt