Beginners and Beyond

I Got Scorched By A Pudgy Guy Yesterday (Read 178 times)

Buelligan

He sure as hell didn't look like he was in shape.  I could have used my recent issue with PF as an excuse, but it was feeling okay yesterday and it didn't hold me back at all.  That guy was freaking fast... and pudgy.   I caught up to him and figured he would capitulate when I passed, but when I got next to him he asked if it would be alright if he tried to keep up with me.   It was actually me trying to keep up with him at that point, but I said, "No problem, man."  Then he sped up to a pace I could only maintain with him for about 45 seconds and I faded like a cheap pair of jeans.  He never did slow down either, he got so far ahead I couldn't see him anymore.  I was impressed.

There's a whole bunch of excuses I could use, some of them actually based on truth, but sometimes you just get outrun by a big, pudgy guy.  I needed that humbling experience I guess.

I kinda hope I see him out there again, but if I never do, that would be alright too.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

We need to capture this pudgy guy, and study him.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Hip Redux

Were you racing my husband?

(And I mean that in the nicest complement to him... he was pudgy and could smoke a TON of people!  He's working on the pudge factor. Big grin )

happylily

He sure as hell didn't look like he was in shape.  I could have used my recent issue with PF as an excuse, but it was feeling okay yesterday and it didn't hold me back at all.  That guy was freaking fast... and pudgy.   I caught up to him and figured he would capitulate when I passed, but when I got next to him he asked if it would be alright if he tried to keep up with me.   It was actually me trying to keep up with him at that point, but I said, "No problem, man."  Then he sped up to a pace I could only maintain with him for about 45 seconds and I faded like a cheap pair of jeans.  He never did slow down either, he got so far ahead I couldn't see him anymore.  I was impressed.

There's a whole bunch of excuses I could use, some of them actually based on truth, but sometimes you just get outrun by a big, pudgy guy.  I needed that humbling experience I guess.

I kinda hope I see him out there again, but if I never do, that would be alright too.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't you have a post, once, on RW, about how much you hate it when people catch up to you and run at your pace in an attempt to either pass you or make you capitulate? Big grin

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

happylily

Anyway, don't feel bad. I was humbled once by a Gallow-walker in a marathon. I had to endure 24 miles of her silly games, passing me, then stopping to walk. She was driving me NUTS. I finished in a respectable time. She finished 2 minutes before me. Grrrr...

MrNamtor

That was you buel? I just wrote a post about some slow-as-crap skinny guy who couldn't keep up with me.  God I hate when people come up behind me like that- all I want to do at that point is leave em behind in the dust

Buelligan

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't you have a post, once, on RW, about how much you hate it when people catch up to you and run at your pace in an attempt to either pass you or make you capitulate? Big grin

Huh?  No, that doesn't even make sense; why would I get upset if anyone caught up to me on my daily run and passed me?  It's not like a race, I never speed up if someone catches up to me like some morons do.  Like keeping someone from passing me when they caught me from a half mile back proves anything.  Maybe to an idiot it does, I don't know.

At least this guy asked if he could run with me for awhile.   He sure was right about the "awhile" part.

Buelligan

That was you buel?

That guy was a lot better looking than you... and younger.

happylily

Huh?  No, that doesn't even make sense; why would I get upset if anyone caught up to me on my run and passed me?  I never speed up if someone catches up to me like some morons do.  It's not not keeping someone from passing me when they caught me from a half mile back proves anything.  Maybe to an idiot it does, I don't know.

At least this guy asked if he could run with me for awhile.   He sure was right about the "awhile" part.

You had a super long thread that turned into a meltdown on RW. It was you. The subject was very similar to this one here, but you were in the other role. Don't get upset at me, I'm telling the truth! Big grin Maybe the details were slightly different, though. I'll give you that.

MrNamtor

That guy was a lot better looking than you... and younger.

not at all surprising on either count

MrNamtor

I remember that thread and actually it was the pudgy guy who did what Buel hated except it was ok because the guy asked if he could keep pace and also he really was faster.

MrNamtor

Buelligan didn't you say you hated when yoi caught up to someone and they sped up and didn't let u pass?

happylily

Buelligan didn't you say you hated when yoi caught up to someone and they sped up and didn't let u pass?

Ah yeah... that was it! I was confused with the details... So much trying to pass and frustration in both cases... Big grin

Rondog65

I am humbled every time I read the post from my fellow "Masters" and "Grand Masters" and all, and all that they are able accomplish.  I could only hope to accomplish a fraction of what they do.

I am just a humble schmou surrounded by other schmous doing remarkable things!

Ron's PRs 5K 24:14 (12/07/2013); Half Marathon 1:53:33 (5/26/2013)

MrNamtor

I am humbled every time I read the post from my fellow "Masters" and "Grand Masters" and all, and all that they are able accomplish.  I could only hope to accomplish a fraction of what they do.

I am just a humble schmou surrounded by other schmous doing remarkable things!

don't be so humble,  you're not that great.