Beginners and Beyond

5k Race Report: When goals & PR's fly out the window, what's left is just racin' (Read 69 times)

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Nice LRB!

You could have left all the comp out and that was my race!

Smile

MothAudio

Better race report! Awesome that you shut that punk up. I'm curious, he's 10 years younger than you and feels that's something worth bragging about?! He should be kicking your butt, not the other way around. Those kind of guys get on my nerve because I'm not like that. Worked with a guy that was 15 years my junior and always wanted to challenge me, so in this one 5k he standing right next to me at the start and is almost rubbing my shoulder the 1st 800m when he says "so how long are you going to keep this pace?". I reply "3.1 miles". He then fades and ends up finishing 5 minutes behind me. Embarrassing.

Nice work on reeling those runners in and very nice gesture to let the girl have the spotlight. I don't know what I would have done in that instance. Actually, I do but I'll keep that to myself.

Youth Has No Age. ~ Picasso / 1st road race: Charleston Distance Run 15 Miler - 1974 / profile

Ric-G

really enjoyed your rr...that prick sounds just a textbook/dictionary definition of a prick...sorry, but that would get on my nerves...glad you toughed it out and still kicked ass...nice job and congrats!

marathon pr - 3:16

workinprogress11

Loved the RR and I am so glad you beat that guy!  I like that you were able to switch gears from PR to racing the field so quickly. Congratulations!

LRB

Thanks all!

I have never really asked what kind of runner he was back in his day.  Like most he took employment, started a family and left running behind until I believe last year.

He is in pretty good shape and I actually wouldn't mind doing speed work with him if he could focus on bettering himself rather than beating me, or at least not talking about it.

Like most of you whom race frequently there are the usual suspects at most of the popular races around here, a few of which I view as my actual rivals.  Or the ones that I am trying to beat.

Don't call me Buttercup!

Sounds like a good effort on a hard day, and come on, your placement was pretty darn great considering you weren't even happy with your time!  Yowsers!    Congrats!

Slow and steady wins the....  wait a second! I've been lied to! 

Entertaining RR LRB! Nice race - sub 20 is just an easy jog for you now. Wink

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

All told I got a 42 second course PR over last year, placed 4th overall, 2nd male, 1st in age group and got one seriously annoying person to SHUT THE HELL UP...even if only until our next race.

That sounds like the best award for the race right there!  Congrats on your performance, LRB, and on your chivalry too in letting the young lady have her spot in the limelight, you are not only a great speedster but a true gentleman.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Way to go, Rick.

I wonder what that guy's motivations are for talking smack.  It does seem out of place, but maybe to him it's a way of drumming up competition or even an odd attempt at being friendly?  All depends on the delivery, I guess.

I'm happy that you're happy with your effort, very well run.

Zelanie

Loved this report.  Even on a bad day, you made something out of it.  Bravo.

Nata2011

Nice race!

What is it with these annoying people at workSmile

Good job - hopefully he learned the lesson

delicate flower

While everyone is comenting about Annoying Guy, I care more about what your prize was for 3rd place male.  Anything good?

Nice racing, LRB!  It's "nice" to see that you found that wind difficult.  I fought a similar wind yesterday and felt like kind of a wimp for using that as an excuse.

<3

LRB

Nothing for 3rd male but got a pint glass for the age group win.

The male masters winner checked in at 17:59, the overall winner at 17:42.   Both impressive considering the course and wind.