Beginners and Beyond

Jogger killed in Philly area, please be careful (Read 138 times)

fourouta5

Healed Hammy

This happened Monday afternoon in the suburbs just west of Philadelphia.  While we cannot watch what happens behind us, please be careful on your runs on the road, and stay on the sidewalks if at all possible.

http://www.myfoxphilly.com/story/21466352/injuries-reported-in-limerick-crash

From the article, it appears as though he was aiming for her. I hope that's not the case.

fourouta5

Healed Hammy

It was interesting they mention the 18yr old would not give the police his cell phone at the scene.  Hmmm..... text me this Batman.

YAYpril - B-Plus

I read another article that implied he was texting. Also, she had no identification on her. They had to go through her phone to try to figure out who she was. Sad.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Exactly why I hate running on the road, even though I am running against traffic I tense up every time I hear a car coming up behind me.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

daisymae25

Squidward Bike Rider

According to Google maps and also to people familiar with the area, there was a pretty wide shoulder on the road where she was running.  She was also running AGAINST traffic per what I read in an article ("running northbound on the southbound side").  The driver was going northbound, lost control the car, swerved into the southbound lane (e.g., oncoming traffic), and hit her.  Yes, sounds like something involving a cell phone to me, and they did confiscate it.  The cluelessness and ignorance of people commenting on the articles is beyond ridiculous.

Love the Half

It appears the runner was doing everything right in terms of not running on a narrow road and she was running against traffic.  I'm not sure that, from a runner's perspective, things like this are preventable.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Never trust that the cars behind you will see you.  Whether it be new drivers texting, elderly drivers who cannot see 15 feet in front of their car, etc.  Walkers do have the right of way, but still, NEVER put them to the test because it won't matter if you get hit.  I avoid running on streets, but when I have to, I always run on the side facing traffic.  You can see what is coming and duck out if needed.

---  If she was running against traffic,  I wonder how she got hit if she was able to see him approaching. . Perhaps the reaction by which some people freeze in place, instead of fleeing, when such a threatening situation presents itself?  (A similar comparison comes to mind of the guy who died driving the car with the gas pedal stuck down and he reacted by calling the police instead of throwing the thing in neutral?).

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

StepbyStep-SH

Never trust that the cars behind you will see you.  Whether it be new drivers texting, elderly drivers who cannot see 15 feet in front of their car, etc.  Walkers do have the right of way, but still, NEVER put them to the test because it won't matter if you get hit.  I avoid running on streets, but when I have to, I always run on the side facing traffic.  You can see what is coming and duck out if needed.

---  If she was running against traffic,  I wonder how she got hit if she was able to see him approaching. . Perhaps the reaction by which some people freeze in place, instead of fleeing, when such a threatening situation presents itself?

He crossed clear over from the other side of the road, from how I read it. He hit her from behind after crossing.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

Ah, got you.  Hmmm, well there goes my usual personal "safe" running habit of running on the paved trails here locally that are separated from the road by about 6 feet of grass median.  If someone veers across lanes from behind like that, not safe on a running trail either. Undecided

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞