Beginners and Beyond

Nice Anniversary Weekend and Run Near The Water (photos) (Read 20 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

After Gail and I did the Be My Valentine 5k on Saturday morning in San Antonio, we 'escaped' for the weekend of our anniversary down to the Kontiki Beach Resort Hotel and Condos, owned by Helen, a friend of Gail's.    The condo where we stayed was in the Fulton-Rockport area, about a 3-hour drive from San Antonio, and  about 30 miles from Corpus Christi.   It is a REALLY nice place and much more quiet and relaxing than the 'hustle-and-bustle' of Corpus Christi, but close enough to Corpus where we could enjoy both places, as well as Port Aransas, Aransas Pass, and other surrounding places.

We arrived in the late afternoon and these were the views from the balcony of our suite

photo 001_zpsiofdwqnn.jpg

photo 002_zpsxgxjsuea.jpg

photo 003_zpsfexnl0mr.jpg

Gail down by the inlet water where we stayed

photo 025_zps92pb2co4.jpg

Dusk from the balcony, after we got back from dinner photo 024_zpssa97burh.jpg

The next morning I got up to get in a morning run.  Before I left the room, Gail and I sat on the balcony as she had her coffee and I had my pre-run Power Bar and we got a nice view of the breaking dawn and the sun just starting to come up.. ...

photo 007_zpsh9ejcknb.jpg

photo 006_zpsumej9uem.jpg

I drove to a local park about 5 miles away  conveniently located near water fountain and restroom

photo 008_zpsi6tth0ga.jpg

photo 020_zpsrg4dqefi.jpg

photo 022_zps2irijiji.jpg

As I was taking these park photos, I caught this gull coming toward me..and it proceeded to dive-bomb me a couple of times; I guess I was disturbing its tranquility.

photo 023_zpsmql55sdx.jpg

My run took me along the water and past docked boats...

photo 021_zpspvykioyc.jpg

photo 009_zpskan1osyk.jpg

And I found a pink flamingo, lol....which I think every beach town probably has at least one somewhere...

photo 011_zpsie22bwna.jpg

When I got back to the park, I finished my run by running out to the end of this pier....

photo 016_zps5hcugbpw.jpg

Nice view from the pier... photo 017_zps4bfkcai5.jpg

photo 033_zpsqha650j4.jpg

Back to the room for breakfast with Gail on the balcony and a view of the "No Wake Zone..."  so I guess if you go out to the dock there, all you can do is sleep....

photo 027_zpssga1oh87.jpg

I threw a piece of bread to one gull - just ONE that was hovering around our balcony - and suddenly there were birds EVERYWHERE, lol...

photo 030_zps8ezumq41.jpg

This pelican below us seemed above it all, lol...

photo 031_zpsfrc9ft5u.jpg

After breakfast we went around exploring the area and went to a town called Aransas Pass.  We then saw a sign for Port Aransas and headed there.   We never quite made it there because after Gail told me we'd have to take a ferry to get there I said "What?!!!?"    NO WAY am I getting on a boat, not even if I'm sitting in a car on a boat.  Me and boats do NOT get along. I've been on 6 boats in my life and 3 of them have sunk  ....Gail wisely agreed with me and we turned back toward Aransas Pass.  On the way back, I saw a park that appealed to my runner-self, so had to check it out.... looks like it has miles of these sandy trails right along the water,  so next time I come back and can stay longer, I am definitely going to try a run here...

photo 038_zps2lqddioe.jpg

photo 037_zpswkj5sctm.jpg

And get cheered on by these little water-side birds, which I have no idea what they are...I know NADA about birds...but they were all over the park...

photo 035_zpsrtnr994a.jpg

Monday we had breakfast and took the 'scenic route' back, avoiding all the major highway traffic.  It was longer drive back to San Antonio - about 5 hours instead of the 3 hours straight down the major highway -  but a very nice drive, passing several wildlife refuges, wetland areas, and so forth.  We finally got home in the late afternoon, tired but very satisfied after a nice, relaxing long weekend in a great place to stay.   Rockport-Fulton is really more laid back than most coastal towns I've visited and we look forward to going there again in the future.  Helen really did great by us with the room and we will probably stay at that place again, as we really liked it.

Meanwhile, time to nap off-and-on now and recharge for going back to work tomorrow.  Paisley, one of my cats, quite agreed with me from her cat-bed...

photo 044_zpsxttfcedv.jpg

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

GinnyinPA

Sounds like a lovely relaxing weekend.

happylily

What a great way to celebrate something so special! Great pictures, thank you for sharing!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Buelligan

Kitty!

Docket_Rocket

Beautiful pictures.  Congrats!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page