Beginners and Beyond

Post-marathon, now what? (Read 88 times)

No more marathons

FWIW - after my fail at Quebec in the fall of 2012 I used Higdon 8 weeks between marathon plan (I had 9) and ran a BQ -7.5 in early November.  You are obviously in marathon shape - and can stay that way and return to racing shape as long as you do a proper recovery.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Ok. Now I am thinking. Know this: where I live it is too hot in the summer for me to train properly for a fall marathon. I think I want to do a five week 5k plan after I fully recover, then, depending on my fitness and how I feel, try the Pfitz 12/55 plan with a May 25 marathon as a target. I think I can handle it, but if it turns out I can't, then I will change things. Damn, this is complicated!

No more marathons

So, essentially you are doing an 18 week marathon training plan with a 5K thrown in at the end of week 5.

Didn't mention in my earlier post that after recovering from my BQ at the end of October I immediately went into an 18 week plan for a February marathon.  By the time that got here all I wanted was for it and the training to be over.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Well, Jack, I think you should now train to catch up with Damaris and start doing back-to-back marathons like she does...

where I live it is too hot in the summer for me to train properly for a fall marathon.  And this is a buncha bull-hockey...if Damaris can train for hers in Miami, then you can certainly do it in California.  Man up, Buttercup!   So there!      

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Scotty: Thanks for the advice. Now I'm REALLY motivated! Wink

TxDiverMom

Well, Jack, I think you should now train to catch up with Damaris and start doing back-to-back marathons like she does...

where I live it is too hot in the summer for me to train properly for a fall marathon.  And this is a buncha bull-hockey...if Damaris can train for hers in Miami, then you can certainly do it in California.  Man up, Buttercup!   So there!      

And although I'm nowhere near qualified to comment on marathon training, I can comment on training in the heat.  I was totally surprised at how my awful, miserable, hot Houston summer training when I truly thought I was totally sucking, translated into better times and easier running when the weather got better.  Everyone told me it would and they were right.  I found that although it was really sucky, you just keep on plugging at a slower temp and feeling miserable.  Then it cools off a little and wow, you see the results!