Beginners and Beyond

best practices for long-term 5k improvement? (Read 72 times)

LRB

I do have one more question - should my balance between easy and not easy runs remain the same as I increase the miles?  Of course increasing the proportion of speedwork while also increasing mileage would be bad, but is it ok to keep a balance of ~50/50 as I'm working my way upward? 

I can only speak for myself and have only been running four years but the time I spend actually running fast per week is nowhere near 50% of my time spent running.

My speed work is based on a percentage of my overall weekly mileage and goes something like 3% for "R" pace intervals (which is around mile pace, 5% for VO2 max intervals (around 5k pace) and 8% for my tempo runs and intervals (right around 10k pace).

At 45 miles a week or so that comes out to around 1.5 to 2 miles at "R" pace, 2 to 3 miles at VO2 max pace, and 3 to 4 miles for tempo pace.

That I only do two speed work sessions per week means I am only doing two of the three during any given week.  Another thing to consider is that your long run is considered a quality run as well, so for me that's three quality workouts per week.  Although I sometimes will drop a speed work session and run easy because I am not as young and pliable as the people most plans are written for. 

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I do have one more question - should my balance between easy and not easy runs remain the same as I increase the miles?  Of course increasing the proportion of speedwork while also increasing mileage would be bad, but is it ok to keep a balance of ~50/50 as I'm working my way upward?

It not the proportion of easy to not easy runs, but the proportion of easy to not easy miles, and when counting not easy miles, it's the miles actually run at a faster pace, not the total workout miles. Example: 2 mile warm-up, 6 x 800m with 400m recovery, 1 miles cool down, counts as 3 non-easy miles. I think the recommendation from Daniels is in the 8-12% of weekly mileage for intervals and similar for tempo runs.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

music_girl117

Sorry, I probably wasn't clear - I meant that my long run + my speed work day (including the warmup and cooldown and recovery intervals if applicable) are around 50% together.  The rest of the week is just easy runs for the other 50%. 

PRs:

5k - 22:53  (May 2015)

10k - 50:00 (unofficial; part of 20k race, March 2015); 50:33 (official; July 2016)

HM - 1:48:40  (Apr. 2015)

music_girl117

Ah, thanks George, your reply appeared after I had already written mine.  Counted that way, it's less than 50% non-easy miles for sure.

PRs:

5k - 22:53  (May 2015)

10k - 50:00 (unofficial; part of 20k race, March 2015); 50:33 (official; July 2016)

HM - 1:48:40  (Apr. 2015)