Beginners and Beyond

What other sports did you or do you play? (Read 109 times)

Hip Redux

Well I don't know. But the difference for me is that sucking at other sports prevents me from playing them; you generally need to be at a certain skill level to participate in any organized team, or even socially. Meanwhile I may also suck at running, but I can do it anyway, because who cares?

Heh. So.... We're pretty much a bunch of folks who either suck at everything else or can't do anything else because we're injured. LOL

RSX

1 thing that ticks off some of my golfing friends is that I got my first birdie before my first par. I quit at age 19 because I had no patience for using woods either on the tees or in the fairway. I had a baseball swing, but apparently was okay with irons.

Penguin Forever

I played field hockey and softball in high school, played rugby and threw for the track team in college (hammer, weight, shotput, discus). I still play softball in a beer league; it's how I met my boyfriend.

It's funny now to think back on my throwing days and how crazy I thought the 10,000 meter event was (well, actually any running event, but the longer, the crazier). At that point in my life, I ran only if someone was chasing me. Now I wish I could have been inspired by the runners back then rather than picking it up on my own 15 years later.

Just B.S.

Young me played tennis and badminton.

Started badminton in grade 6 and played competitively all through high school and on an adult

competitive league until about 6 years ago. I found all the lateral movement was bad for my knees

combined with running and had to chose one or that other. 

I had a wicked smash that I was very proud of and used at every opportunity.Big grin

Also played league slowpitch ladies softball for about 6 years. Also a pretty high level competitive

10 pin bowler before my kids came along in my late 20's.

The older adult me has been cycling for 20 years, with a road bike for 10. Running for 14 years. Started

swimming 3-4 times/week in January to start doing tri's and found that I really love the swimming (which

is good if I am going to do the 1/2 Iron we have planned next July).

Hubby and I also kayak but not as much as we should. Since we both cycle, run and swim it's hard to find

much time for the boat.

Hubby still plays a lot of tennis at lunch with his buddies and hockey for the last 20 years.

Too many hobbies not enough time.

Antipodean

I played this sport through school for 10 years. It's a great game and now I coach and manage teams in the school where I teach. Great fun, and my DD plays now too. It's very popular here in New Zealand.

Apart from netball I was always know as a runner. I couldn't really play any sport that involved small balls, but was ok at sports like soccer.

As a teacher I'd just like to say it's pretty cruel to let kids pick their teams. Now we teachers usually arbitrarily make up the teams so that they are of average ability. The kids themselves know they can't argue.

Julie

"It's not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves."

~ Sir Edmund Hillary

Rondog65

I was not into organized sports in High School (back when the Mayflower crossed the ocean blue).  I enjoy the recreational sports now, kayaking, biking and play on an adult softball league (about to head out to the weekly game!).  Mediocre at best, but I try and have fun and enjoy the social parts.

Ron's PRs 5K 24:14 (12/07/2013); Half Marathon 1:53:33 (5/26/2013)

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

I was a below average softball and basketball player from 3rd grade through 12th grade. Never played for my high school teams, they were very competitive and hardcore and I was not good enough nor dedicated enough for that, I just liked to have fun, so I stuck to recreational leagues and church leagues in my town.

I want to do adult co-ed softball, but with my work schedule right now it is impossible. I joined one of those leagues the summer after I graduated college before grad school started when I didn't have much going on other than an internship that ended at 4:00pm everyday. But I tore my quad tendon running to first base early in the season and missed most of the games!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

No more marathons

Tennis and racquetball.  That was my cross training back in the 80's when I started running.  Checking back in my logbooks I see that I had 3 or 4 sessions of one or the other every week.  Explains why I usually had no more than 25 miles per week.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

Amazonian Princess

Competitive fencing (foil and épée) in college and archery (recurve bow) for fun Smile

I can. I will. I am. 

LRB

1 thing that ticks off some of my golfing friends is that I got my first birdie before my first par. I quit at age 19 because I had no patience for using woods either on the tees or in the fairway. I had a baseball swing, but apparently was okay with irons.

I didn't and still don't have any patience for golf, other than watching it depending on who is on the leader board.  And my baseball swing carried over into tennis, where I launched balls repeatedly into the sky trying to hit them over that stupid net!

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

I forgot to mention I was also a cheerleader for 10 years. AND YES, that is a SPORT :-P (I used to be VERY adamant about that!)

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I would agree with you, but the courts have decided on this one and they said no.  It was another title IX case.  I'd encourage anyone to challenge the hell out of that, since every time the courts decide there is one less sport for females schools and colleges have to cut one more wrestling program.  That's one poorly written law, and the fact that judges get to decide what's a sport and what isn't is ridiculous.

I forgot to mention I was also a cheerleader for 10 years. AND YES, that is a SPORT :-P (I used to be VERY adamant about that!)

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Hmm, tons of pickup football and street hockey as a kid (we weren't allowed to play Nintendo all day).  House league soccer during summers.

JV soccer, then XC and track, followed by about one year of being interested in road racing and training for it.  Some trap shooting.  Then just casual running and got into disc golf about 5 years ago.   Got out of disc golf, back to running to race, found the BF on RWOL, and now here I am.  Smile

In early teens through mid-twenties, enjoyed playing golf though never good at it.  Always liked driveway basketball.

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot