Beginners and Beyond

Penguins. Here's Tuesday's thread...down here...yeah...right here (Read 30 times)

Sloooow.

Morning all. Yesterday I did 2 miles outside then 1 on the treadmill. I really underestimated the heat outside. My 4 year old has been running a high fever for a few days, and last night the 2 year old started. My youngest has had vomiting issues since she was a newborn, so I can't give her a fever reducer without her throwing up. I've been coated twice today already. Needless to say, not sure what will happen with running today. My goal for the week is 3 miles x 4 and a 6 mile "long run".

Awood- If only you could've added some neon flashing signs to the title, I nearly missed it Smile Good job on hitting your paces this morning.

Bin- Makes sense to make the most of the cooler days!

Tomas- Enjoy your rest day!

Docket- Have fun with your fartleks tonight.

Vance- Enjoy your rest day. I don't like mushrooms, but you're definitely ballsy to pick your own! I'm pretty sure I read that chanterelles can look similar to a poisonous mushroom.

Scotty- See, you have good luck sometimes Smile Well done timing that run, thank goodness it's not everyday you get knocked over by deers and levitating armadillos.

Baconista- That sounds like a pretty hazardous finish line! Congrats on your 5K, and a belated happy birthday!

Lauren- I'd never heard of pool running before. Hope you manage to get your 13 for the week!

Kristin- Nothing wrong with an URD, hope you feel better soon x

HopesMom- Welcome back!

SheCan

Loving Arizona right now!

73°F
      Partly Sunny
      Real Feel: 75°F (24°C)
      Relative Humidity: 64%
      Barometer: 29.97"Hg (F)
      Wind: SE at 13 mph (21 kph)
      Visibility: 10 miles (16 km)
      Sunrise: 5:28am   Sunset: 7:26pm

Extended Forecast 7-day Forecast Summaries » 
      Wednesday

84°F | 66°F
      Thursday 

84°F | 66°F
      Friday 

83°F | 65°F
      Saturday 

84°F | 67°F
      Sunday 

82°F | 67°F
      Monday 

91°F | 72°F

Yesterday it clouded up around noon, and I got in 12 pleasant miles.  Today, I got in 8-1/2 very cool miles with some hill repeats.  It is so much easier to get the runs in when the weather cooperates.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Docket_Rocket

That is so funny, Scotty!

Hi, Hope's Mom!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

GinnyinPA

Awood - good job on the intervals.

Bin - I'd certainly take advantage of cooler weather while you have it, as long as you don't get ridiculously ambitious. Congratulations on the 1000 so far.  I had put 1000 as my goal for this year, but I'm likely to reach it in two months or so, so I need to revise my goal.

Tomas - enjoy your rest day.

Damaris - have fun fartleking this evening.

Vance - today sounds like a good day for a rest day.

Scotty - good timing on missing the thunderstorm.  I'd like a good rain about now, but it's not supposed to happen this week.  I love the llama penguin picture!

Baconista - that sounds like a strange race.  Hope nobody was hurt.  Enjoy your cross training tonight.

lauren - pool running sounds great right now.  Cool!

Kristin - sorry you're feeling ill.  I hope some rest and light eating help make you better.

HopesMom - tell your DH happy birthday.  I'm glad your party in NC went well.

Cherie - your weather is a lot better than ours.  We're in the 90's all week with DPs in the 70s.

Coralie - I'm sorry about the sick kids.  Hope they get better soon.

I'm not sure what I'm doing today.  Too hot to run outside - we didn't even take the dog for his morning walk because he suffers so when it's over 80.  Last night we took him out at sundown, and though it was shady, it was so humid we were pretty well soaked and it took him about an hour to stop panting.  I may do 6 on the TM this afternoon, if I feel some motivation.  I skipped my last SRD so my mind seems to be telling me it's time to take a break - though I'm not actually tired or sore.

Docket_Rocket

Nice weather!

Loving Arizona right now!

73°F
            Partly Sunny
            Real Feel: 75°F (24°C)
            Relative Humidity: 64%
            Barometer: 29.97"Hg (F)
            Wind: SE at 13 mph (21 kph)
            Visibility: 10 miles (16 km)
            Sunrise: 5:28am   Sunset: 7:26pm

Extended Forecast 7-day Forecast Summaries » 
            Wednesday

84°F | 66°F
            Thursday 

84°F | 66°F
            Friday 

83°F | 65°F
            Saturday 

84°F | 67°F
            Sunday 

82°F | 67°F
            Monday 

91°F | 72°F

Yesterday it clouded up around noon, and I got in 12 pleasant miles.  Today, I got in 8-1/2 very cool miles with some hill repeats.  It is so much easier to get the runs in when the weather cooperates.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

We have a temp of 99, heat index of 108, dew point of 72.  I want to walk around in an air-conditioned bubble!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Docket_Rocket

You should.  And also remember me when you do because that's how I feel for 10 months out of the year.  August is going to be bad, I can tell!

We have a temp of 99, heat index of 108, dew point of 72.  I want to walk around in an air-conditioned bubble!

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

This is DoppleBock's Yuck Factor calculation, though someone else had the same bright idea and called it Misery Index:

Right now there is a Yuck Factor of 171.  Though I doubt there are very many idiots out running around at 1:25 in the afternoon ...

Here's a cool metric I came up with a while back. I call it the Misery Index: Temp + Dew Point = Misery Index.

You will start to feel affects above 130. 140-149 and you finish your run like you swam in a pool. 150-159. It will feel like death is running behind you,  blowing his stank humid breath on you. 160+.... don't even bother...

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Docket_Rocket

I have run in 97F, feels like 107F with a dewpoint of 76.  At 6pm.  That was 2 years ago.  I hope we don't get to that point because I might melt.

My normal misery factor is above 160.  Misery is the true meaning of that fucking factor!

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

It also does not compute with me when people say they are going out for a run at any time after 8am or before 5pm.  Those times are no nos here, even in the Winter, because the sun is brutal.  The other day I woke up at 8am and it was too late to run.  I laughed when someone asked me why I didn't leave out to run.  Say what?

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

Yeah, sometimes when I have the day off or I'm running late to work, I see people out for a run at 9:00, 10:00, etc.  I think "Wow, I would love to have the job freedom to run that late!"  And then I think, "Wait, why didn't they run three hours ago when it was 10 degrees cooler?"

Docket_Rocket

I'll bet you they were wearing black, which is something that baffles me here, ha!

Yeah, sometimes when I have the day off or I'm running late to work, I see people out for a run at 9:00, 10:00, etc.  I think "Wow, I would love to have the job freedom to run that late!"  And then I think, "Wait, why didn't they run three hours ago when it was 10 degrees cooler?"

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Zelanie

Good morning! I woke up today to the radio forecasting low 90's and a chance of thunderstorms. WTF? Did I move to Florida? So I threw on my tank top and shorts and headed outside. Luckily it was still Oregon outside, temps about 70 and humidity not too bad yet. Got 5 miles in. It took almost 3 miles to outrun the Blerch, but the last two miles felt great.

Awood- you rock!

Bin- Glad you're getting some good running weather. Congrats on the 1K miles!

T-rod- Enjoy the RD!

D- Hope that your fartleks go well!

Vance- I love chanterelles! Fresh picked are the best!

Scotty- Glad you got out before the thunderstorms.

Baconista- Glad you had a good race! Yikes on the finish! Glad you are safe!

Lauren- Glad your running is coming back! I bet the pool running is so good for those muscles!

Kristin- Feel better!

HsM- Happy birthday to your DH!

Coralie- Ugh, nothing is sadder (or grosser) thana sick little one. Hope everybody feels better soon.

Cherie- Nice running!

Ginny- Hope you enjoy your day, whatever you decide.

GinnyinPA

I'm a night owl, going to bed around 1 or 2 a.m., so most of my runs are between 10 - 5.  That's why I have a treadmill.  This week is mid-90's all week, with feels like temps at 100 or more, so I'm really glad I do.

One day when I lived in Tucson I saw a man running down the street on a 100 degree day wearing shorts and cowboy boots.  I always wondered what his story was.

Amazonian Princess

I'm a night owl, going to bed around 1 or 2 a.m., so most of my runs are between 10 - 5.  That's why I have a treadmill.  This week is mid-90's all week, with feels like temps at 100 or more, so I'm really glad I do.

One day when I lived in Tucson I saw a man running down the street on a 100 degree day wearing shorts and cowboy boots.  I always wondered what his story was.

Wow! I'm guessing that he lost a heck of a bet Wink

But, it reminds me to ask - does anyone wear Hokas? DH read that they're amazing for cushioning and thinks it might help some recurrent hip and knee pain I've started having. I kinda think I should look at body mechanics first, but it is hard to turn down new shoes!

I can. I will. I am.