Beginners and Beyond

Today Is Brought To You By The Friday Penguins! (Read 29 times)

Sloooow.

Glad you had an event come around, Scotty! It's pretty cool to have a RD call and request your presence Smile

1.5 measly miles done. I had to stop for a second half a mile in as the stupid chickens were all sounding the (false) alarm. I will make this week an 8 week, next week a 12 and go from there. I still have plenty of time for my half training, and as soon as I found out about the surgery I knew my 10K just wanted to be finished. I'm sorry for being a negative person, I'm excellent at digging myself into a pit.

POSITIVE! After 3 head surgeries in 16 months where they shave various amount of hair, I am treating myself to a much needed hairdressers appointment as soon as my stitches come out.

tracilynn

jimmy, I've actually never run a 10K.  We have a Birthday party to go to tomorrow anyway. Good luck to you!  is it hilly?  Does it have to do with that Vulcan Statue thingy down there?

coralie, you have been through a LOT.  Don't apologize for complaining.  I never apologize for all my complainingSmile and I don't even have much to complain about.   Have fun getting a new doCool

cherie, nice run there!

scotty, looked up those gloves, very nice.  I like silk long johns in the winter too.  I have gloves, just forgot to wear them.

i just accidentally ate like half a bag of oreosAngry hate it when I do that!

~~~~~~~

Traci

Dad on the run.

Traci -  I dont know if I would say "hilly"  it has one hill so it's uphill the first half then downhill the second. Also it is at the Vulcan so yes it had to do with the statue Smile

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

She Can: hiya! Hope you had a good trip. Smile Our next one will be in November and we are going to Zion. My next trip after that will be to Tucson!

Scotty: heck, we are all distance runners!

Traci: nice "accident" Wink did you have some cold milk?

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Well, now I have my bib number and my shirt so guess I am definitely doing the 5K tomorrow morning.  The shirt is funny.  Not a tech shirt, a cotton shirt, but has a longhorn steer on the front, lol.  The name of this event is the Texas Rocks and Shines 5K, and there is also a 10K.  I am doing the 5K. It is for the Young Marines program - http://www.youngmarines.com/.   Why there is a Longhorn Steer on the front of the shirt, I don't  know...maybe cuz the Young Marines get STEERED in the right direction for life? Joking

Traci, you have never done a 10K?  Well, then,  I'm inviting you to come to Texas some year and we will go up to Austin and do the Capitol 10,000, the largest 10K in Texas -  http://www.statesman.com/s/cap10k/.   The next one is April 6, 2014.  It is crowded, but a lot of fun and as it will be your first one, the crowds will help you keep a nice "sedate" pace.  Which is good because the first 3 miles are HILLY, but the course after that levels out.  So you can have fun with your first one, get a feel for the distance and then be ready for your next one to go out and blow it away, if you feel so inclined.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Half price!!! wtf !!! I would pay you to be in my race, Scott. (and unlimited Shiner Bock)

Amazonian Princess

Hello, Penguins!

Feeling so much better than I was last week; did run/walk for 3.5 miles last night under a gorgeous moon and planning a little ellipical/bike/run combo tonight. Only coughing in the morning, and less of that each day.

According to the Fed Ex tracker I have new shoes waiting for me at home - Brooks Adrenaline 13's. Not sleek, nor colorful, but sturdy like I need. I'm still losing weight, but I'm more Dalek than Dolce (that was for you Coralie, hope it made you smile!) and I've grown to love my BA13's Big grin

Happy weekend everyone!

I can. I will. I am. 

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I'm finally home!  My boss is awesome.  We didn't discuss the final agreement about my contract for next year, but he did say that I'm going to be around for a long time.  So, I feel like we're going to reach an agreement before it's over.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

GinnyinPA

Gustav - hope your 4 miles went well.

Bin - I hope your DD is doing better.

Obie - sorry about your leg and your cold. Feel better tomorrow.

Scotty - I'm glad you're able to run a race tomorrow, now that the weather is becoming nicer, finally.

Margo - enjoy your nonrace tomorrow.

Mitch - you definitely earned a rest day, and then some. What's the Liz Hurley?

Melanie - are you near Ashland?  We almost went to a play there when we were thruhiking the PCT, but since all we had to wear were our worn and smelly hiking clothes, we decided to pass.

Jack - sounds like you had a good day.

Coralie - I'm sorry things are going so badly right now.  Sometimes it's okay to whine a bit.  Can you drive someplace where you can run with your daughter in the stroller?  A town park or rail trail?  Can you ask your partner to get a good running stroller for Christmas?

Jimmy - I'm glad the ITBS is allowing you to run.  Enjoy your race tomorrow.  I've never done a 10k either, though I'm signed up for one in December which I may not be around to run.

Damaris - hope your short evening run went well.  Did your husband go with you?

Jerry - you must have been out early.  I understand next week is supposed to be really cold, so getting out your winter gear is a good idea.

Tracilyn - I was way ahead of my pace bunny for a while, but since my injury, that changed.  It still says I'm ahead, but barely, and it would require me to run 2.6 mpd to reach my goal- which isn't likely to happen for a while.  I was so hoping to run 1000 miles this year.

Kristin - hope the Zhumba doesn't hurt your stomach.

Cherie - is this the stair race?  Have fun tomorrow, and enjoy a beer or two for me.

Baconista - I like the Adrenalines too.  I hope you continue to feel better.

Awood - glad your negotiations are going well.

AFM:  Gorgeous autumn day here.  After two days of rain, today was 61 and sunny, and the trees were brilliant red and yellow.  We went out to the xc ski trail in the state forest.  I ran the 3 mile loop, then turned around and ran back to meet DH with our Golden Ret.  The trail has some good climbs (I climbed 570' in the 4 miles I was running) so I was very slow and ended up walking more than I like, but it was such a terrific day to be outdoors and crunching leaves underfoot that I really enjoyed the run.  No pain, except my lungs.  But that's what I said last time and I spent the next two days aching, so I'll keep my fingers crossed.  My hope is that the softer tread of the trail will mean less impact, so less damage.

From the Internet.

Evening pens! Checking in quickly - was hoping to get to the gym today but shockingly enough I had too much work to do! Running a whole bunch of statistical tests for some data that we're planning to publish soon, jumping back into it for as long as I can keep my eyes open now. 4-4.5ish planned for tomorrow morning, did a weird too-fast 3.5 on Thursday morning - I way overdressed for 53 degrees and couldn't for the life of me stick to my usual easy pace, it was like my body wanted to get back home to change ASAP :P

PADRunner

i just accidentally ate like half a bag of oreosAngry hate it when I do that!

Saw this, this morning.

Could Oreos Be as Addictive as Cocaine? 

Docket_Rocket

Hi, guys.  I took an SRD today.  Walked 1.50 miles to the supermarket (total) because our cars were locked due to a street repaving until tomorrow at 8am.  At least I did some workout.

Scotty, yes, as soon as the President signed the CR, we were back at work.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

Glad you had an event come around, Scotty! It's pretty cool to have a RD call and request your presence Smile

1.5 measly miles done. I had to stop for a second half a mile in as the stupid chickens were all sounding the (false) alarm. I will make this week an 8 week, next week a 12 and go from there. I still have plenty of time for my half training, and as soon as I found out about the surgery I knew my 10K just wanted to be finished. I'm sorry for being a negative person, I'm excellent at digging myself into a pit.

POSITIVE! After 3 head surgeries in 16 months where they shave various amount of hair, I am treating myself to a much needed hairdressers appointment as soon as my stitches come out.

Enjoy the appointment.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page