Beginners and Beyond

What happens if there is bad weather during races? (Read 282 times)

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Obviously aside from catastrophic hurricanes a la NYC marathon.... do races generally get cancelled during bad weather?

Just found out they're expecting a big rain storm during my race on Sunday. This is my third race, and my first 2 were both perfect, crisp, sunny fall days so I have no precedent for this. Just wondering if I need to start to prepare to lady up and run my first 10K in pouring rain, or if I need to prepare to have the race I've been training for to be cancelled.

Thanks!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

sugnim

Better bring a trash bag, er, I mean a rain poncho!

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

I've never had a race cancelled for rain. I'd plan to run it.

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54

Docket_Rocket

I've done HMs in the pouring rain.  Most races do not cancel unless it's something major.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

hog4life

I've done HMs in the pouring rain.  Most races do not cancel unless it's something major.

Like lightening! 

Love the Half

Suck it up buttercup.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

StepbyStep-SH

Rain? It's just another race. Same for wind, snow, freezing temperatures ...

Lightning would be different - maybe push back the start time if it is likely to move through, or cancel if it's expected to stay around.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Wear a billed cap

StepbyStep-SH

Wear a billed cap

+1 to this. And tech clothing that won't weigh a ton once it is soaked.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

Jane

Like lightening! 

Umm, they didn't cancel the Albany Marathon (HM) last year when the tornado sirens went off at mile 4.

Never run, if you want to never run, don't start because you'll never stop.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I've had a couple races postponed due to icy conditions that made footing, hence running, dangerous as well as driving to the race a highly questionable choice. I've also raced in torrential rains, a foot of snow, temps in the 90s, and even with lightning in the distance.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

I think a race should be cancelled because of heat .

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Suck it up buttercup.

This is exactly what I was hoping to hear actuallySmile

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Good luck Kristin!!! Enjoy the rain!

Completed my first half marathon 2:09:04!!!

Afterwards, just think of the stories you can tell your friends and family around a warm fire how you ran your first 10k in a pouring rain and you PR'd Smile.  They will  be amazed and in awe of your achievement.  Best wishes for the race!

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot