Beginners and Beyond

HM Pacing Strategy Q (Read 59 times)

One2Run

So, I have been training with the LRS who does 10&1's for the long runs. I have no issue going straight through and often don't feel the need to stop. I mentioned in passing to another member of the group that I was going to try a straight through run next week (first ever HM). The group leader freaked out and basically told me that since I trained with 10&1's that I really needed to stick with it.  Uhm, if I feel like I can go straight through shouldn't that be a better indication?

All of my non LRS group runs are with no walk breaks, longest being 16k. Longest group run was 20k with walking.

Thoughts or any other tips and suggestions for a first half?

LRB

It may be time to branch off on your own.  But so that I understand you correctly, is a 10&1 running 10 minutes and walking 1 or something else?

happylily

I say listen to what your instinct tells you. If you feel you can run without the walk breaks, then that's what you need to do. You can always re-introduce the 10-1 method in the last miles, if you want to. Good luck in Ottawa! (I think you are doing Race Weekend, right?). We're going to have a hot and sunny day!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

One2Run

Indeed, racing Ottawa. I was in the market today and all the banners were going up, and the "marathon route" flags were going up on the street light poles. So excited!

Yeah, drop the walk breaks if you aren't OK with them.  No reason to walk unless you feel that you *need* to.

Love the Half

If you don't want to stop, don't stop.  I never included walk breaks in my running when I was a newer runner.  No one ever told me that walking was an option so I didn't.  Mind you, try something like 8 or 9 miles on a training run first.  Race day is not a terribly good time to experiment.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).