Beginners and Beyond

Hey Tuesday Penguins - You've Been Running Thru My Mind! (Read 39 times)

Docket_Rocket

BTW, I've been meaning to tell you, Rocket and Mr. Rocket are in for the RnR NOLA.

(Barely) Morning all!

Gustav- Hope the 7 miles goes well later.

Awood- Double the fun? Lol. I've read that doubles are a great way to get your mileage up, go for it Smile I've been reading in the drama thread (not caught up on the 50+ posts from last night to this morning yet though). It's all very silly. It will fizzle out eventually, some people just thrive on drama.

Docket- Hoping the 5-7 tonight aren't too hellish.

Phillie- Enjoy your intervals.

Jerry- 59 DP sounds wonderful, it's crazy how our baselines change depending on where we live. In the UK, 75 was a hot summer day for me. Now, that's pretty cool.

Kristin- Successful run! That kind of disorganised run is my favourite kind. Structure hurts me, lol.

Traci- I'm in the same situation, my partner severely broke his foot and left leg in a motorcycle accident 20 years a go, then broke his right ankle rollerblading 10 years a go. He has lots of hardware in his legs and he will never run with me. Keep icing the shin. I still have a tender spot on my shin, but it isn't getting worse with slowly increasing mileage and I ice extra on my rest days.

Dan- Enjoy your rest day!

Ginny- Hope your long run went well!

Bin- Nice run. I think cyclical mileage helps you to not get stuck in a rut.

Zelanie- Rewarding for the awardees, not so much for those who have to sit in there all day, haha. Cupcakes sound wonderful right now.

Jimmy- Take it easy, take your rest days, all should be good.

Mitch-Will keep your pup in my thoughts, hope she feels better soon!

Scotty- Feeling very lazy reading everything you have got done already today. Made me laugh about the posh dogs! I bet they loved their treat as they are probably on posh gluten/corn/meat/soy-free diets, hah. I'd vote that most runs in that awful temperature are slow, very nice 4.1 Smile

Cherie- I am completely jealous that you have a pool to jump into! The only treat I have post work-out is laying flat on the floor (in the fetal position, as usually two small children start jumping on me).

Planning on 3 "recovery" miles today, I'll keep it nice and slow again. My little sister should be finding out the gender of her third child today, 6:30pm their time so it should be a couple of hours for me. She already has two boys, so needless to say what she is hoping for. I have two girls and I'm hoping for a boy next time. Funny how things work out.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

BTW, I've been meaning to tell you, Rocket and Mr. Rocket are in for the RnR NOLA.

Was looking at the 2-person half-marathon relay for this event.  Wow, $135 entry fee, dang...

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

SheCan

Cherie- I am completely jealous that you have a pool to jump into! The only treat I have post work-out is laying flat on the floor (in the fetal position, as usually two small children start jumping on me).

Planning on 3 "recovery" miles today, I'll keep it nice and slow again. 

Hahaha!!!!!  Well, I put in my years as a human jungle gym, and though it was nice, and I sometimes miss it, I'm glad to be where I am now.  Good job on the recovery miles, and your patience will be rewarded with no injuries.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Philliefan33

Scotty -- you didn't miss a holiday.  I just took Monday off because we had family visiting from Oregon.

Sloooow.

Ooooh, very cool! I'd love to do that one (the half) but I'm planning on being pregnant.

Edit: February in New Orleans sounds nice and cool. Could I get half ready by February? The route looks lovely, which is why I've always wanted to do it. Up St. Charles and Esplanade.

Dad on the run.

SheCan, CoralieT - Nothing like being a jungle gym. I can't lay down anywhere without my daughter running over and jumping on me. WOuldn't change it for the world though

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

hog4life

DW has never been to NO, trying to talk her into it. If we go, I'll prolly do the half, unless I need some sort of redemption from the December full.

Philliefan33

Ooooh, very cool! I'd love to do that one (the half) but I'm planning on being pregnant.

Edit: February in New Orleans sounds nice and cool. Could I get half ready by February? The route looks lovely, which is why I've always wanted to do it. Up St. Charles and Esplanade.

Coralie, I wouldn't recommend trying to run your first HM while pregnant Wink   But I think you mean that if you aren't blessed with a pregnancy before February, could you be ready to run?

Some very wise people here on the BF advised me that I should get to the point of running 30 miles per week with a long run in the 8-10 mile range before traiining for a HM.  I got to that point by February of this year, then used a very conservative training plan to increase the overall mileage and LR before my April HM debut.  I got my weekly mileage up to 35-37 miles and the LR up to 12 miles (without any speedwork; it was all I could do to keep up with the mileage build) before the race.

My opinion is that you will want to get at least a couple of LR's in the 10-11 mile range before attempting a half marathon.  To do that, you should be at ~30 miles/week overall.

Docket_Rocket

Keep me posted.  That would be awesome if we could do two FEs (Coralie and you).

DW has never been to NO, trying to talk her into it. If we go, I'll prolly do the half, unless I need some sort of redemption from the December full.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Damaris, is your husband going to do the full marathon?

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Docket_Rocket

Ahem, no.  The half.

Damaris, is your husband going to do the full marathon?

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Sloooow.

Coralie, I wouldn't recommend trying to run your first HM while pregnant Wink   But I think you mean that if you aren't blessed with a pregnancy before February, could you be ready to run?

Some very wise people here on the BF advised me that I should get to the point of running 30 miles per week with a long run in the 8-10 mile range before traiining for a HM.  I got to that point by February of this year, then used a very conservative training plan to increase the overall mileage and LR before my April HM debut.  I got my weekly mileage up to 35-37 miles and the LR up to 12 miles (without any speedwork; it was all I could do to keep up with the mileage build) before the race.

My opinion is that you will want to get at least a couple of LR's in the 10-11 mile range before attempting a half marathon.  To do that, you should be at ~30 miles/week overall.

Yes, if I don't get pregnant before then Smile 30 mpw BEFORE training? Eeesh. Maybe I should stick to 5K's, haha!

I could use the summer to build my base up a bit, then start actually training when the "cooler" weather starts to get here. Food for thought!

Sloooow.

3.2 miles finished. 5.1 is definitely my easy pace, it felt great. I even shouted at the kids a couple of times for jumping on the sofa, and didn't lose my breath, lol. I did sneak in a "fast finish" at 7mph for 0.2 miles though, I just couldn't help myself Smile

GinnyinPA

Bin - smart to adjust your runs to work with your schedule.  Sleep is a necessity and changing shifts wreaks havoc on that.

Melanie - hurray for last day of school.  Margarita cupcakes sound interesting.  You seem to be quite a good baker.  I love eating baked goods, too much.  So does my husband and he's diabetic.  So I almost never bake.

Damaris - hope you get some good FEs in NOLA.  How cool that your husband is ready to head for the next big goal.

Jimmy - how many miles a week are you doing?

Mitch - I'm surprised a UTI led to vomiting.  I hope your pup responds well to the antibiotics.  It's hard when they're hurting.

Scotty - I'm not sure running today was the wisest choice after being sick yesterday.  I like going through nice neighborhoods like that.  One of my runs passes some huge houses with large well landscaped lots - no dogs though.  Hope you're feeling better tonight.

Cherie - I like the idea of the sprite/OJ combination.  I'll do just orange juice fairly often.  It has always been really satisfying when I'm feeling depleted - probably because of the potassium and vitamin c - plus the sugar.

Coralie - I hope the recovery miles go well.  You have time to get ready for the HM, if you think you can find the time to increase your mileage.  I know it's hard when you have young kids.

AFM:  I started out this morning walking with my husband, intending to head out on my run after a mile or so, avoiding having to run up the first hill.  It soon started to rain, so I kept on walking with DH and Ben, in hopes that the rain was just a passing shower.  It lasted all the way home.  So, after 2.5 miles of walking in the rain, I went home to dry off, go to the bathroom and rehydrate.  After 1/2 hour, the rain stopped, so I ate a banana and finally headed out on my long run.  Smart move would have been to either wait until late afternoon or shorten the run, but I had worked out a 13 mile route and I didn't really want to try to figure out a new one, and thunderstorms are forecast for this afternoon, so I stuck to my plan.  The route was hilly, mostly just rolling roads through farm country.  I said hello to the cows, goats and deer behind the fences.  I tried to run at a slow pace, but found with the hills that I couldn't stick to my intended pace.  Going downhill felt so easy, and I had to make up for the slow climbs.  I really need to work on running slower on my long runs.  At mile 8 I ran out of steam and had to walk a bit after a big hill.  Then my pelvic stress fracture site started to hurt, so I stopped and sat down for a bit. I was scared, but it felt better right away so I continued, slowly.  I walked the next big hill, and felt completely wiped, so I sat in the shade, ate a GU, and drank a bit, then started out again.  I was able to run the next 2.6 miles, though it felt slow, then walked the last 1/3 mile to cool down.   I barely made that last bit.  I was dragging! So, my first 13.5 mile run is in the bag. Not pretty, but I survived.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

Busy, busy, busy... Some 80 day weekend this is! I did a 5 mile hill workout this morning at a 7:58 pace then DW went out for a nice post-run breakfast burrito at our favorite hole in the wall. We got a new bathroom fan that we will put in Friday. Now it's off to swim practice with youngest DD. See ya!