Beginners and Beyond

Donut Day Penguin FriDAILY (Read 33 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Good morning!

Jerry, thanks for the reminder about Nation Donut Day.  It sure goes well with National Running Day earlier this week. Smile

Scotty, how do you run without coffee? (how do you LIVE without coffee??)

ETA: Oh, and just saw your post about Normandy.  Thanks to you and your dad for your service!  Have you been to Normandy?  My family went 11 years ago.  It was so moving.

StoneFence, something funny about your avatar caption:  I've been telling my hubby for a while that I want to be badass.  (I think since I've been lurking on the board & seen Damaris described that way!)  He just doesn't think I am, and I admit I'm not there yet.  So when I saw your "on my way to badass" tagline, I asked him, "Honey, do you think I'm at least ON MY WAY to being badass?"  He stared at me for a minute and then busted out laughing and finally said, "What does that even MEAN?" Sigh.  Apparently I have a long way to go!

Anyway...on my way shortly to meet a friend for 5 miles or so.  Maybe I'll stop at the nearby donut shop on the way home. Smile

Well, Brilliant, I guess you'll just have to suck it up and be happy that you have a good ass....  

Jenn, I remember when I was a kid I saw  a photo of my Dad in uniform at the time...and I didn't even recognize him, lol.  He also served in Korea.   He was born in 1925, turned 18 in 1943, enlisted...and, as he put it.. "finished all my training right in time to participate in the invasion.  Welcome to the Army!"

Well, I'm outta here.  I got a call from Physical Therapy that it is time to evaluate me once more and that day is today.   This is where they 'put me through the paces' to evaluate my spinal arthritis, e.g., motion, flexibility, strength, etc.  My PT who left the message on my phone was funny as he said 'wear appropriate clothes and be prepared for exercise and 'vigorous' activity."   The last time I did this was a few years ago and they took me out to the obstacle course to run, climb a wall, etc, etc.  Yeah, fun stuff....    Oh, and then tonite at 8:30 PM, I have an MRI for my right knee.   Yep, 8:30 p.m.  The MRI division at My MTF (Military Treatment Facility) is so busy they are open 24/7 because the MTF here is a major treatment center for the wounded warriors and active duty and we also have so many retired people here in our local area.

Plus, the Secretary of the VA is here in San Antonio today inspecting the local facility, so all the staff  there is going all nutso about the audit, having everything prepared, etc. I am SO glad my facility here in town is not the VA, but Brooke Army Medical Center...those folks working there do a GREAT job for we veterans.

I may be back on the forum later today, but who knows.  If not, wishing everyone a great weekend, and great success to all those who are racing!  Have fun, stay safe.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Any foot doctors out there?  The outside of my foot just below the little toe is all red and swollen.  Didn't hurt while running, but now it does.

Just what I needed.  Bwaaahhhh !!!

Philliefan33

Jerry -- I'm not a doctor, but I'll give you my standard advice for sports-related injuries:

Put ice on it.  No more than 15-20 minutes at a time.  Ice a few times a day if you can.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Today was another running rest day for me.  I did manage to get in 30 minutes of aqua activities today.  I'm planning on using my smaller brace and doing 30 min per day on the elliptical from here on out.  The swelling in my ankle is better though it is still bruised.  I definitely still need my moon man boot for navigating the city, but around my apartment I've been using the smaller brace.  At least I feel like I've been making progress :-)  I think I'm going to get my dog back from my mom in a week.  She took her because walking the dog hasn't really been an option for me lately and DH works such long hours that I can't rely on him to walk her.

Jerry - nice run this morning

SF - good luck with the 5 miles

Brilliant - I'm with you on the coffee front!

Jenn - nice job on the early miles

PF - good luck with the miles

HsM - I have not a musical bone in my body so I'm not sure what instrument troublehooting entails (unless it is lab equipment, then I'm all over it)

Scotty - good luck with the MRI.  I hate those things!

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

B-Plus

Anyone snag a free donut?

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Mitch - I saw you have the Inspire 10's now.  I got a pair too.  I love them.

oh, I wish they treated me right.  Loved the 9's - hate the 10's.  Recently moved to Saucony... good shoe but not what I loved in the 9's.

Singer who runs a smidge

HsM - I have not a musical bone in my body so I'm not sure what instrument troublehooting entails (unless it is lab equipment, then I'm all over it)

Actually, it IS lab equipment!!  I have a NanoAcquity UPLC from Waters, and I was having high pressure issues.  My service rep thinks we had some crud growing in our solvent A bottle, which is mostly water with just a touch of acid.  So we went through some intense cleaning.

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

This was on facebook and made me laugh....

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

hog4life

Mitch - I saw you have the Inspire 10's now.  I got a pair too.  I love them.

Only one 8.5 mile in them, but so far, they might be putting the Ravenna into retirement!

hog4life

oh, I wish they treated me right.  Loved the 9's - hate the 10's.  Recently moved to Saucony... good shoe but not what I loved in the 9's.

I had a similar experience with the Adrenalines, loved the 11's. The 12's didn't work, I even tried 3 different pair, then went to a Nike Structure. Then back to the Adrenaline 13's, and all was good again.

They have some Inspire 9's on sale at RW, so I might get a pair but want to get 40-50 miles in on the 10's.

hog4life

I did 5.75 miles running this morning and went through 40 oz of fluid, it sucked. Then took off on my bike for 7, and wouldn't ya know it, clouds rolled in and the temp and humidity dropped about 10 degrees.

Brilliant, I say you are a badass. If you are here on these boards, you are doing way more than most. Some will say that I am, but I look to others(like Damaris),that are. I did a half with Awood on April 5, then April 12 did a duathlon of 3 run/13.5 bike/3 run, then the next day April 13 did another half. Badass? I don't know. Crazy? Yep.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

I did 5.75 miles running this morning and went through 40 oz of fluid, it sucked. Then took off on my bike for 7, and wouldn't ya know it, clouds rolled in and the temp and humidity dropped about 10 degrees.

Brilliant, I say you are a badass. If you are here on these boards, you are doing way more than most. Some will say that I am, but I look to others(like Damaris),that are. I did a half with Awood on April 5, then April 12 did a duathlon of 3 run/13.5 bike/3 run, then the next day April 13 did another half. Badass? I don't know. Crazy? Yep.

+1