Beginners and Beyond

Help me find a pace and race strategy for my SO's first HM, please. (Read 402 times)

waterskimmer

It might also be worthwhile reminding him of the effect that running in warmer weather could have; thus making Beth's advice to just enjoy even more valuable.

In fact, that's great advice for both of you!!!  LOL, but I know racing all-out is enjoyable to you, so go have a great time, do a fantastic write-up as you always do, and post lots of pictures for us.  Then it would be a "win" all the way around!

Dreamn

Nothing to add except that I'll be at the Bermuda Challenge as well.  Doing the half, not the full Smile

B.S. - your pictures have me sooooo excited!

Just B.S.

You will have fun at Disney, can't wait for your RR!

It won't be a race report as such! More like an "experience" report with very cute costumes.

The birthday girl has never run a 1/2 marathon and this is to celebrate her 50th birthday. I fully expect it

to be the slowest half I have ever done (by far) because we have promised to stay together and take

lots of photo-ops.

Tell your hubby to take a small camera with him. That would give him an excuse to stop and take a break

if he feels he needs it and capture some great pics!

Dreamn, hubby and I did the full challenge for my 50th birthday celebration last year. We had been there

for our honeymoon and friends were going so it seemed like a great idea, as was!!

It's sooooo beautiful there! I'm excited for both of you.

Julie, I have no advice for your SO, but after reading Beth's posts and seeing the pictures...

I'm trying to figure out how we can work in a family vacation to Bermuda and I can run the half next year.

Looking forward to your race report!

Anonymous Guest

I agree he should just have fun and run/walk however he feels. The 1 mile race is exciting with big crowds, and it would be hard not to run all out. The 10K I don't remember much about (I did it in 2011), I remember it was hilly, but that's about it. The half (I did the full, which is just two laps) was, as Beth said, gorgeous, with the best views. Locals sitting out front cheering you on by name (it's on your bib). I would tell him to just enjoy it and make it a celebration of his awesomeness that he is doing such a thing.

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

Just B.S.

Lily, (or other ladies who have done or are doing the challenge) I don't know if you collect charms or wear

jewellery but I ordered this for my charm bracelet, could also be worn on a chain.

I don't get charms for every race but since Bermuda was the 3 days of races and for my 50th B'day I thought

it deserved to be remembered and since it reminded me of the 4th medal you get for doing all 3 races I just

had to have it!

I ordered mine thru a local jewellery store but I"m sure if you googled you could find it anywhere.

camille2

I've done a few races underprepared for various reasons.  I'd say that he should take it easy on the first 2 days if he wants to do the half to save his legs. 

For the half, when I've not been ready for a race, my strategy has been to walk thru the  water stops from the start. It seems Ok at water stops.   If he feels good after about mile 8, he could make the walk breaks shorter or start skipping them. I also think if he is sore after the first 2 days, he should just skip the half if he wants to.  Life is short-it's vacation-enjoy it.  BTW, sounds like he's a keeper if he's doing these to please you.

The pics are great.  Enjoy!  Good luck in your race!