Beginners and Beyond

Losing My First Toenail... (Read 109 times)

Better I Leave

After the Davis HM, two of my toenails turned black. One cleared up while the other remained. Today I noticed that it's loose. No pain at all, but definitely loose. I guess this happens, yes?

Just B.S.

For me, all the time.

Better I Leave

For me, all the time.

So Beth, do you just let them come off by themselves or do you "help it along"? I'm kinda wondering as my next HM is up in 2 weeks and it would kinda suck if it's sensitive. I'm kinda leaning toward let nature take it's course.

RSX

So Beth, do you just let them come off by themselves or do you "help it along"? I'm kinda wondering as my next HM is up in 2 weeks and it would kinda suck if it's sensitive. I'm kinda leaning toward let nature take it's course.

I cut them as short as possible. I always have at least 1 black nail, but they don't come off anymore. Prior to being proactive I was too impatient for nature and dealt with them. Otherwise hanging nails catch on things.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Welcome to the club, Dave!! I am on my third (not all at once) and like you, they are painless.

Mmmmm...beer

I lost one after my first half in Sept, it's a right of passage. Smile

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

FlippyNoodle

Not a dude

I just heard REM singing this in my head...I swear.

Coastal

Yeah, toenails are disposable.  I no more than lose one than I start another (on the same toe).

Just B.S.

Years ago when I first started running they would get really sore and start peeling off (yes yuck).

Now it's more  "turn black and get thick, then shed". Usually painless. Usually have at least two at

any time and there is always a new one growing underneath.

It's like a normal cycle for my toes now.  I have tried everything over the years. Different shoes, larger,

wider. I'm just one of the those people who get them no matter what.

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Dave the thing to do is save them whole and make a necklace out of them. Then wear it to race expos - it makes a great conversation piece!

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

GC100k

Dave the thing to do is save them whole and make a necklace out of them. Then wear it to race expos - it makes a great conversation piece!

The nails from the big toe make decent guitar picks.

Better I Leave

**grins broadly** Heh...Thanks gang. Smile

happylily

You guys are sick... Big grin

Dave, yes, it happens, don't worry. I would just let it fall off naturally, don't pull on it. When it does fall off, there should be another thin nail under, so you won't be left with an unprotected toe. :-) We, runners, are a gross bunch, aren't we? Like mutants of some sort. Big grin

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Ric-G

You guys are sick... Big grin

Dave, yes, it happens, don't worry. I would just let it fall off naturally, don't pull on it. When it does fall off, there should be another thin nail under, so you won't be left with an unprotected toe. :-) We, runners, are a gross bunch, aren't we? Like mutants of some sort. Big grin

+1....eventually you won't think twice about it.

marathon pr - 3:16

Buelligan

That little embryonic toenail growing underneath the loose black one?  It grossed my girlfriend out when I showed it to her.  Then I chased her around the house trying to touch her with it.

Good times.