Beginners and Beyond

Anatomy for Runners (Read 110 times)

LRB

If I have to make a video, worlds may implode.

Ain't that the troof!

My one legged stability is getting better but I have to get permission from Nicole before I do them. 

Hip Redux

Ain't that the troof!

My one legged stability is getting better but I have to get permission from Nicole before I do them. 

Right - if your knee tracks inward at all doing these, you need to go back and start with the hip strength.  Otherwise, your knees will hate you.

Hip Redux

The fact that I'm running with my calves, not with my butt... Well, it explains why my calves are so built up and also why I'm not getting enough power in my strides.  It's definitely something to work on.

Do you sit a lot at work as well?  One thing that works against us working shmoes is that the hour a day of working out or running isn't really enough to combat the 8-10 hours we're on our rump during the day.  It's almost a losing battle.

meaghansketch

Do you sit a lot at work as well?  One thing that works against us working shmoes is that the hour a day of working out or running isn't really enough to combat the 8-10 hours we're on our rump during the day.  It's almost a losing battle.

It's more like 10-12 hours sitting most days.  And mostly unavoidable unless I were to get a standing desk (my coworker is campaigning for one for herself, but it ends up being a huge pain because we're on dual-monitor setups, and most standing desks aren't wide enough).  I try to stand on the subway though, at least most of the time.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Meaghan - my husband has a standing desk that works with dual monitors at his office. You should see if your office will accommodate you Smile

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Hip Redux

It's more like 10-12 hours sitting most days.  And mostly unavoidable unless I were to get a standing desk (my coworker is campaigning for one for herself, but it ends up being a huge pain because we're on dual-monitor setups, and most standing desks aren't wide enough).  I try to stand on the subway though, at least most of the time.

I have dual monitors (well, one lap top and one monitor separate) and a standing desk!

LRB

I actually eat dinner standing at my bar every night because I sit so damn much during the day.

I used to stand up during flights as well before they outlawed it.

meaghansketch

Thanks for the input sapf and Oski-- can I ask (if you know) what kind the desks are?  We are on 60" desks and couldn't get by on anything much smaller (I forgot to mention they also have to accommodate a mac mini+its monitor for bizarre organizational reasons).  We haven't found anything suitable, other than the varidesk, of which we'd need two.

Also I have a feeling getting the company to pay for anything is going to be hard-to-impossible-- my coworker is making the request now and if it goes through I might try for the next buying season, but that would be ~12 months from now.

Also I am lazy and I have a feeling I would end up sitting most of the time even if I had the option to stand.

Hip Redux

The brand I have is ErgoTron - I have no idea if they work with mac though!

meaghansketch

They don't look like they work with monitors over 22" :/

Thanks for checking, though!

Hip Redux

Bummer!  You have some big monitors lol

Cyberic

Those Ergotron Workfit might be interesting for me, except they'd have to be able to handle 2x  24 inch or 2x 26 inch screens. But I could manage to use our older 22 inch monitors. I'm sure I could find colleagues willing to trade my 2 24in for 2 22 in Smile  I just can't seem to find the price.

Anyway I'm going on vacation for a month, but when I come back, I might check with my boss to see what she thinks of this.

EDIT: They sell them on Amazon.ca  Cool!

Hip Redux

I got mine on Amazon, yes!

meaghansketch

Bummer!  You have some big monitors lol

Yeah my setup is a little insane - 2 27" cinema displays plus a 17" display attached to the mac mini.  It looks like there are setups that would accommodate me (now that I've been looking around all day), they're just not cheap.

LRB

It looks like there are setups that would accommodate me (now that I've been looking around all day), they're just not cheap.

Sheeit, keep that seat girl.  You can always stand up and walk around, but you cannot always sit down.  lol