Beginners and Beyond

Bodybuilders And Running... (Read 164 times)

GC100k

I don't know what it is, but this group of athletes, for the most part, seem to be adamantly opposed to running. I just need to throw this out and maybe some of you will get a kick outta it.

I belong to several bodybuilding forums. Why? Because I like bodybuilding...but I also like running.

As we've seen in this thread, you are not alone; there are plenty who do both.  I've been on the RW forums since the 90s and it's quite frequent for new members to introduce themselves as being unlike the rest of us because they lift and have muscle mass.  Only to find out that it's pretty common.

I've never been a bodybuilder, but I've irregularly and half-heartedly lifted for 15 years with periods of getting into it and periods where I didn't do it for months (pretty much exactly like my running career).  I work out at a college gym.  Even among those who would probably consider themselves "bodybuilders", there's a whole range of attitudes about running. Some bodybuilders get all superior to the soft ignorant runners with their catabolic distance running, but runners can be that way in reverse and there's everything in between.

On the track at the college, a pretty large percentage of the guys will do sprint intervals - which has been touted as increasing testosterone, building muscle, and cutting fat - rather than distance running  At 270 lbs, I feel less out of place in the weight room than I do on the track even though lifting is not a priority.

My son is a D1 college decathlete (currently ranked 1st in his conference, but only about 40th in the nation and he needs to get to the top 12 or 16 to make nationals).  He's actually pretty good at the 1000m (indoors) or 1500m (outdoors) even though he's 210 lbs and they do no distance training.  His roommate is a thrower.  They're vegans and are really strict about not taking any supplements or drugs, so they've read all about how to naturally raise testosterone.  Lots of sleep, Brazil nuts, I don't know what else.  They are both super lean and cut.  They are like bodybuilders in how they calculate all their nutrients, protein, and stuff.  btw, I can outlift my son in upper body stuff, but I bet he'll pass me pretty soon.

Anyhoo, different strokes for different folks.

Better I Leave

They're vegans and are really strict about not taking any supplements...

Kewl...I've been cooking semi vegan for over a week now to help Marina and it seems to be helping her "issues" with reflux/heartburn/indigestion when consuming meat. I do supplement though with whey protein isolate, but other than that, I'm considering going "lacto-ovo vegetarian" for her sake. I can get plenty of high quality protein through egg whites and whey isolate.

GC100k

Kewl...I've been cooking semi vegan for over a week now to help Marina and it seems to be helping her "issues" with reflux/heartburn/indigestion when consuming meat. I do supplement though with whey protein isolate, but other than that, I'm considering going "lacto-ovo vegetarian" for her sake. I can get plenty of high quality protein through egg whites and whey isolate.

He had some vegan protein powder (rice, hemp, and cranberry protein), but I'm not sure if he still has that.  I was dubious about him getting enough protein, but he went through his calculations, and he gets enough.  A lot of nut protein.  A lot of soy too, but he showed me data that the estrogen fears were not that bad.  In high school he had whey protein, but we made sure it had nothing added to it and got recommendations from knowledgeable people.  You see containers that say "100% whey isolate" but read the ingredients and they've added a bunch of supplements to it, so you got to be careful.

His cafeteria has whole vegan sections with an amazing assortment of foods.  They also use only grass-fed beef and other high quality meats.  He thinks he might do a short meat phase for awhile this spring.  Next year he'll be eating every day at a club with award-winning chefs and I told him he better take advantage of it.

For the decathlon, you want to build power but you want to keep your body weight down.  You have some throws, but in most of the events you're propelling your own body weight.  There are other decathletes his size, like Trey Hardee, but he's on the larger end.

Better I Leave

He had some vegan protein powder (rice, hemp, and cranberry protein), but I'm not sure if he still has that.  I was dubious about him getting enough protein, but he went through his calculations, and he gets enough.  A lot of nut protein.  A lot of soy too, but he showed me data that the estrogen fears were not that bad.  In high school he had whey protein, but we made sure it had nothing added to it and got recommendations from knowledgeable people.  You see containers that say "100% whey isolate" but read the ingredients and they've added a bunch of supplements to it, so you got to be careful.

His cafeteria has whole vegan sections with an amazing assortment of foods.  They also use only grass-fed beef and other high quality meats.  He thinks he might do a short meat phase for awhile this spring.  Next year he'll be eating every day at a club with award-winning chefs and I told him he better take advantage of it.

For the decathlon, you want to build power but you want to keep your body weight down.  You have some throws, but in most of the events you're propelling your own body weight.  There are other decathletes his size, like Trey Hardee, but he's on the larger end.

I hear ya. I love the vegetarian diet, but I am not convinced that one can get enough "good protein" through it. With eating nuts, one gets a lot of fats as well. I tend to gain weight so I'm a bit "phobic" over fat consumption. With you on the label reading...I scrutinize the labels and I get my whey through a mail order supply house that has proven to be a good surce and very reliable. My blood stats bear it out as well.

And if one is to eat meat, nothing beats good grass fed, organic...We have a local rancher who supplied us with the same (got top quality at $4.50/lb)...Still have 50lbs in the chest freezer.

MrNamtor

He had some vegan protein powder (rice, hemp, and cranberry protein)

Dave and I are the resident hemp experts

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

NBT, you look awesome in those photos!

I grew up lifting weights, I started at age 14.  My dad used to be a competitive powerlifter (finishing 7th in the world at one point) so it's always been a part of my athletic routine.  I haven't been keeping up with it like I should in the base period I'm currently doing--I just don't have much time or energy, but I am definitely planning on picking it back up in the next phase, which calls for lower mileage.

To an extent I agree with LTH that to get better at running, you should run more, but I think it's very important for runners to do SOME type of weight training--for one, it can prevent injury.  Two, if you like to run shorter distances I personally think it has helped me enhance raw speed.  I can also feel it running hills, nothing helps you on a big hill like strong legs.  Three, core work (which is part of my lifting routines) is obviously important, for more ways than one, including maintaining good posture and form and managing your torso rotation.  If I were to take LTH's example of you only have an hour to do your workout, and he says you should spend the whole hour running, I think I would disagree and at least reserve 10 minutes for core work or bodyweight exercises like lunges, jump squats, etc.  Just my opinion.

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54

GC100k

I was a little worried that the hemp protein may make him test positive for banned, non-performance-enhancing substances, but I'm assured that it doesn't work like that.

GC100k

With eating nuts, one gets a lot of fats as well. I tend to gain weight so I'm a bit "phobic" over fat consumption. 

The amount of protein surprised me because I knew a peanut butter sandwich doesn't give you much protein.  But if you eat half a jar at a time, it has lots of protein.  If you're 19 years old and work out three hours a day, the fat and calories aren't a problem.  I'm old, fat, and mostly sedentary, so if I tried to get protein from nuts I'd be even fatter.

Better I Leave

**Rolls a nice OG Kush fattie and hands it to Nam**

Here ya go bud...pass it around. Cool

happylily

Off topic, sort of... But since Dave is already high on his big fat joint, I'm sure he won't mind. Big grin

I've never looked anything like the wonderful NBT. But 5 years ago, before I started running, I had a complete whole body routine that I had created for myself. It would have made you all laugh and I was probably doing all sorts of things wrong, but it was good enough to make me feel strong. Much stronger than I feel today. But back then, I also couldn't have run 3 miles if my life had depended on it... I miss the fact that I could do close to 100 consecutive push ups, and that we never had to call the BILs for moving the furniture from house to house. Hey, I was worth at least 3 men! Big grin  Anyway, today is much different for me. I look much less defined in my arms and shoulders. But I run marathons and I weigh 7 lbs less... It's a trade off... I guess? But I want to reintroduce some strength in my upper body, for my future health. And also because I think it looks much better. Running is not all that there is. As for dear SO, he has since joined a gym. Thank God. Big grin (not that he didn't look good back then, of course. But he looks so much better now!)

Me, 5 years ago. It isn't a great picture of my arms and shoulders. But it's all I could find on this computer.

This is today. Looking at the three pictures, I now realize that there isn't much difference in the before and after. LOL. I look puny in all. Big grin I definitely need an intervention! Big grin

* I said in another thread that I was done with showing pictures. And that was what? Three days ago? That didn't last long... LOL

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Better I Leave

Wait....umm...what were we all talkin' about? **looks around**

I'm hungry.

**giggle**

Running doesn't necessarily make one a stick. Yo tengo culo grande.

I enjoy running, but  I also enjoy lifting. I'd rather make slower gains in speed, in order to not sacrifice strength.

While I like eating meat, because I don't combine it with fish in the same course or eat dairy within six hours of eating meat, I usually stick to fish, egg whites, legumes, and low- or non-fat dairy for protein.

Better I Leave

I enjoy running, but  I also enjoy lifting. I'd rather make slower gains in speed, in order to not sacrifice strength.

Same here. I may not come in close to the front of the pack, but I will finish with a decent time (IMHO)...and as my wife likes to say I'm "Strong like Bull."

Same here. I may not come in close to the front of the pack, but I will finish with a decent time (IMHO)...and as my wife likes to say I'm "Strong like Bull."

i told my wife that I wanted to get rid of my man boobs and she said well start lifting again. She said you arent training for a race right now anyways. She had no idea I was about to sign up for a race Smile

But  do need to start lifting again. chicken legs, belly, and man boobs are not sexy Cool

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

It's funny, I'm reading "Healthy Intelligent Training" and today learned that Lydiard recommended doing short sets of VERY heavy dead lifts. I fall more in love with him the more I read this book!

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54