Beginners and Beyond

Tuesday Penguins - Break Out Your Old Spirograph! (Read 233 times)

Damaris - question about what should i do next?

I have a HM planned in 2 weeks. I am thinking about trying to get about 3-4 miles in tomorrow and thursday. Saturday shoot for 8 and 4 or sunday. The next week tues- 4, wed 4, thurs 3. Then race on sunday.

Is that a decent plan?

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

Wandering Wally

Hello Penguins!  About all I can manage right now is weekly posts.  Too busy with tax season just getting going.

This past Saturday I got to run 13 miles with fellow Penguin Vance.  We had a nice time.  The weather was great and the conversation even better.  Sunday night I got in 7.5 miles after an ice storm.  Glad I had the spikes.  It made it hard to hear the podcast I was listening to over the crunching of the ice though.  Yesterday was a rest day.  Today will be something around 7 miles.

Have a great day (or week if I don't get back for a few days)!

Run!  Just Run!

Trail Runner Nation Podcast

SheCan

Hey Penguins!  Hope you all aren't freezing!

We're going to have a dailies vs penguins fight????  I'm scared!  Aren't the dailies the tough guys?

Scotty hope your kitty gets better!

Laura- got my fingers crossed that the supplements help!

T-rod & Docket-  will read your RRs soon!

It's been really cold here.  Yesterday & today both were in the low 20's when I ran.  Wasn't bad though because I dressed warm, and the wind wasn't blowing.  Thankfully though, it's supposed to warm up some over the next few days.

TaTa for now Penguins!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Traci - I know you asked this a few days ago, and I read your post, but I never logged in to reply. The garmin is working great, thanks! My computer is being dumb and takes forever to recognize that it is connected, but that appears to be an issue with my mac, not the garmin.

One of my 2013 goals was to run a sub-30 5K. I'm not sure I will enter any races this year because I'm trying to tackle some debt, so I'm going off of GPS tracking. Today I set out planning to run based on how I felt. I took an old route I have not used since before there was snow on the ground. Using two separate GPS devices (the garmin and my phone), I measured a 5K time well under my 30 minute goal. The garmin put me at 28:58, and my phone put me at 29:37. The garmin map is more accurate. Either way, I'm crossing this goal off my list. I know it's not official. But it's good enough for me competing against myself. Smile Oh, and the best part is I was not even running as fast as I could, and so I know I can still do better.

Have a happy day, Penguin friends!

Nightcrawler-

You may be right

Update : All my fluffy stuff is gone! Grrr! That is all.

Don't believe everything you think. 

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

OH!!! Thanks Lauren for pointing that out...

Thanks hopesmom!!! I saw your post about knowing of a video but not having the link but missed the later post of the link. Blame trying to read the forum on my tiny smartphone screen. Thank you!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

From the Internet.

SHOOT. No gym today - too hungry and I'd be cutting it close to pick DD up from preschool on time. Spent a long, frustrating time troubleshooting the piece of equipment I need for all my experiments and one component is definitely worn out. I emailed the boss and got the okay to order a new part, but I have no clue how long it's going to take to get it. I guess I'll have plenty of gym time tomorrow since I won't be able to run experiments.

Ha, looks like I can't run in any capacity, whether on my own two feet or experiment-wise! :P

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Did the weight machines at the health club. Renewed membership for another year.  As long as I was there, I did some intervals and hillwork on the treadhill.  No time for outside run with DW.

Have to read Tomas' RR after my nap.

Run Tomas Run  !!!!

N-Bug

Will run for beer.

Never had a Spirograph!  Always wanted one... (small tear).... LOL  My cousins had one I got to play with once in awhile...

Howdy everyone.  Last two days SRD.  I am pretty certain I have a mild form of whatever bug has been going around.  My DW was wiped out for 3 solid days with it so I feel fortunate to just not have a the normal level of energy, etc.  Despite wanting to run outside I was pretty tired after work and didn't feel like facing the cold.  I hit the dreadmill for 4 miles.  Legs feeling very good.

Have a great evening.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

So.....bad news......the ortho my doctor wrote me a referral for is booked until MARCH 4TH!!! There is another doctor at the practice that has an opening February 7th but I have to get my PCP to write me a new referral in order to go to that doctor, even though it is the same practice. So, since I need a new referral anyway, I am going to try to shop around and read reviews of orthopedic doctors in my area and try to see if I can find a doctor that both sounds great and has a sooner appointment (that may be like asking for a unicorn, but it's worth a try). i did book the Feb 7th appt though just in case.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Took Peanut to the vet, nothing serious thank goodness.  Apparently he got one of his claws caught on something, pulled it askew a bit and got a slight infection in the nail-bed area.  So antibiotics for him for 2 weeks, and the vet trimmed the bad nail way down.  Now he is home sulking in our back bedroom, lol, after being dragged to the vet.

Went and ran after the appointment.  I thought it would have warmed up by noon, but it was still freakin' only THIRTY degrees  actual temp, with a really cold and gusty wind that made the 'feels like' temperature 26.  GAAAACK!  I still wore shorts, though, and I still ran outside, starting from the Lackland gym.  I am glad, however, I packed my thicker gloves and my light pull-down face-mask thingy that converts into a hat if the full facial coverage gets too warm.  I just wore it as a hat and was happy to be wearing it with that wind.  I ended up doing 3.2 miles.  Then after getting back into the gym, I went right into the sauna for a few minutes which felt great after that cold.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Took Peanut to the vet, nothing serious thank goodness.  Apparently he got one of his claws caught on something, pulled it askew a bit and got a slight infection in the nail-bed area.  So antibiotics for him for 2 weeks, and the vet trimmed the bad nail way down.  Now he is home sulking in our back bedroom, lol, after being dragged to the vet.

glad he is ok!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Glad your hammy is behaving, Zelanie!  If it does not keep behaving, let me know, I will be glad to spank it for you.  Wink

Your hammy too, Jen16?  Well, see my note to Zelanie.  Hmmm...I might need a bigger paddle for all these spankings... Joking  Congrats on your miles and your workouts!

Rain/snow mix does not sound fun, HsM.  Stay warm and safe!

Sorry, Mitch, about your DW.  Hope she feels better soon.  Darn flu epidemic sweeping the nation.  Hope it doesn't turn into 1918 all over again!

Lauren, hope the supplement helps you!  Glad you found out what it is, and glad it seems to be an easy fix.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Good luck with tax season, Mike!  Your running seems to be going well, congrats!

Congrats on getting out there in that cold, SheCan!  20s...BRRR!  I thought my 30s were bad!    I'm not going to fight anyone...I grew up in the 60s and 70s and was a long-haired peace-lovin' hippy freak... Wink  Amazing I ended up doing 24 years in the military, lol. Joking

Congrats on your sub-30, Mickey, way to go!  Good luck with the debt too, I can relate.  Tough economy!  No worries, when I finally get my winning lottery ticket, I will pay off the debt of all the Penguins....IF (there is always a caveat isn't there? Big grin) the whole Colony comes out and does a Bare Buns event with me.  Joking  I wonder how many people would actually do that to get their debts paid off.

Congrats on your workout, Jerry, sorry you could not get in a run with DW.

Read your report, Tomas, and commented.  Congrats to you and family!

Vance, didn't you just run with Mike?  If you have a bug...blame it on him!  Wink  Seriously, hope you feel better!

Kristin, your primary care doctor, to put it bluntly, sounds like a real butt-hole.  Time to look for a new doc, one who UNDERSTANDS how important running is to we runners.  I am VERY thankful I go to a military hospital and all my docs are military or military-associated, cuz just about all of them are runners and they can relate.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

scotty- yeah he is a special one. Don't worry thwre's enough doctors around here that I can find a new one.

Random question everyone..... what is a walking pace? Is it more than a 15 minute mile? I am looking into my upcoming 10K and the time limit is 90 mins.  I want to maybe walk it as not to lose my money (no refund policy) and enjoy a nice long walk in my favorite park even if I can't run, but I'm not sure if that's do-able in the time limit. I suppose I could get out my Garmin and just see how fast I walk but I don't feel like it haha.