Beginners and Beyond

The ShamRock n Roll Run 10k: Pacers Report (Read 72 times)

happylily

Congratulations on the weight loss, then! Smile

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

4 years racing, 16 marathons, 16 BQs     

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Thanks LRB.  I know that pacers don't have to be out there, and yet they are.  I used a pacer for the first half of my first HM.  I didn't stick to the group like glue, but just seeing them there and knowing that someone with more experience is basically guiding you is a great feeling.  I probably would have stuck with them more closely, but they were running the full and stopping for water stations.  So, I was constantly catching, passing and being caught.  The bottom line though is that I reached the turn off point right on pace, and after 7 miles at a pace it wasn't hard to finish at something close to that.  I actually finished faster, so they probably helped me achieve a good negative split in my first HM.  Can't complain.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Nice job. I know you said you were pacing a 10k today, but did not know it was that one -- my wife was there! Although she did the 5k, and kind of run/walked it with friends mostly as a social thing, she is not a runner. But she is giving me the shirt. Smile

Let me know if you do any personal pacing, I may hire you for my next race! I can't pace myself worth a crap, and you've already proven you can go slow when you're on the job. Wink

Dave

Good stuff, Rick.

workinprogress11

Thank you for pacing!  I'm glad it went so well for you.  I have yet to experience a pacer who didn't go out too fast so I'm glad to see you are so good at it.  Great job!

Great job pacing Rick. Bang on.

Thanks to you and everyone else who volunteers to help in races.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Supersono99

I hope if I ever use a pace group, that my pacer is like you. Great job, Mr Perfect.

In my group, we ask every now and again how everyone is doing, and answer questions from runners as we go along.  While I do respond to questions, I tend to not initiate conversation with anyone following me understanding that many of them are running at 80% effort or more.

Aside from calling out water stations, porta potties, turns and the like, I talk with the other pacers, or the obvious experienced runners.

I am not judging the guy but I view pacing as a job, and personally would not wear headphones.

Hip Hip Hooray

Nice work!  Volunteers are so critical for events, good for you for putting in some time on "the other side". Smile

kristin10185

I race in SparkleSkirts

Awesome! Nice job pacing, it is cool that you have gotten into that! Love the shirt and medal!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

tinman11

So sometimes you offer encouraging words, and other times you just shut the hell up.

This is a great strategy.

On my last marathon, I just wanted to finish in under 4:15:00.

There were about 10-12 of us running along with a 4:15 pacer who did a great job.  She would answer questions but didn't really have too much to say other than pointing out water stops, bathrooms, etc.  Her pace was perfect.

I could tell that a few of the folks were just being polite by talking to her about family, kids, etc. but I was concerned that they were not focusing much on the job at hand.  And being in the 4:15 group, it's not like we were the most experienced in the field.  I was guessing which ones would drop off first based on how much they were talking.  Sure enough, around mile 18 - 20, the constant talkers did drop back.

By mile 23, it was just the pacer, one guy, and me.  By mile 23 1/2 I was fading out.  I finished in 4:22:18.  Must have been karma for my previous guessing game.

I really appreciate you doing this though.  I think it must be a pretty tough job but very rewarding.

Hopefully I can hang with a 4:00 pacer soon........

LRB

Dreamer

Thanks peeps!

Good stuff Awood!

Dave, I don't rock much green, but the white piping down the sides of that shirt sets it off pretty nicely I think.  Those pics were the second wave of the 5k taking off by the way.

WIP11,  that's a good point, they do exactly that.  And here we were bummed because we were 14 seconds slow that first mile!

S99, there are a lot of horror stories, but I am sure there are many great pacers out there.

Oski, I volunteered twice last year and paced once.  I would like to volunteer at least that many times each year moving forward.  The dilemma is we are usually doing our own running when events are going on, but over a seven month period, I am sure I can find two openings in my schedule somewhere to give back.

Kris, the pics don't do it justice, it actually looks like polished brass.  And held next to the one from the Wicked Halloween Run, they are better than some medals I have received from longer distance events!

Though I did not "earn" it by racing the event, it is still a pretty cool trinket to have.

Tinman, I do want to pace half marathons someday, but I am not quite ready for marathons yet...of course, whenever I say I say I am not going to do something where running is concerned, I end up doing it out of the blue!

Know thyself

Mmmmm...beer

Great job!  A good pacer is definitely a great thing to have.  The pacer at my first half was awesome, ran perfectly even splits, and was encouraging the whole time.

-Dave

My running blog

2015 Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-37 10k | sub-1:23 HM | sub-3 M