Beginners and Beyond

My Races for Jenny: The RRs I Could Not Post Until Today (Read 198 times)

Docket_Rocket

As Jenny now knows (thelearnedfoot), a group of her friends, forumites, and complete strangers, decided to run for her.  I was one of the lucky ones to have participated in this endeavor and I am glad that I am able to talk about it after more than a month of secrecy, haha.

I ran many runs for Jenny.  Some alone:

and some with friends and fellow forumites:

I even asked a friend to create a headband for me to use during my Jenny races.  It turned out awesome!

But these two races were special, in the sense that I was doing them for Jenny.  She has inspired me to battle through my asthma attacks and my bad runs with asthma issues, and to push to do the best I can do under the circumstances.  So for that, I was going to run a marathon and a half marathon for Jenny.

A1A Ft. Lauderdale Marathon:

As you remember, I ran the A1A Ft. Lauderdale Marathon on 02/17 and here is the RR I wrote then:

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/BF_and_Beyond/forum/0a928d4b24044c60ba5947da28ac2ea7/0

But what Jenny didn't know was that I was doing the race with her, so the following parts of the RR were left for today:

So, knowing I might not be able to do the HM scheduled for 02/23 (I did it anyway), I decided to run the A1A Ft. Lauderdale Marathon for Jenny. The weather turned to freezing, so my original orange outfit was a no go, but I selected as much orange as I could. I took the sticker with me and wore my bracelet then head on to the race.

My plan was to run these miles with you. So every so often I would touch the bracelet and put the sticker out and run with it for a while. I tried to get it out whenever there was a photographer but I was unsuccessful in realizing the photographers were there until it was too late. But, you will see the bracelet on every picture.

As the miles went on, I ended up touching the bracelet every 1/2 or so and would talk to you for a bit. I have to say that you encouraged me through the worst of the wind and when my asthma appeared at Mile 25. I wanted to walk and relax my chest, but you told there was no stopping right now when I was so close to a PR. I felt you were with me those last two miles yelling at me to pull my shit together and finish. Even though I was getting slower because my asthma was increasing, I did. And I PRd!

I also put a sticker on my gear bag (picture somewhere below) and lots of people asked me what it was for. At least three of them said they were going to run some miles for you as soon as they recovered from the race. They do not know you, but they cared.

Thanks for carrying me through a tough windy race, Jenny!

West Palm Beach Half Marathon

The following weekend, I had the Sunshine State Race West Palm Beach Half Marathon.  I initially thought I wouldn't be able to do this race because the race was on a Saturday and there is usually no packet pickup on race day for HMs down here.  But this one had it, so I ended up going.

Since I woke up, I was not feeling good.  Little did I know that I was having the first symptoms of a major migraine.  I only knew that I was not my usual self and that my stomach was not very happy.

I got to WPB and do my packet pickup and ask a poor stranger to get my picture taken.  Orange was the name of the day:

The race didn't go the way I had planned.  After Mile 5, I had terrible nausea, cramps, etc.  Only Jenny got me through, oh I would've quit if it wasn't for you, Jenny!  I spent the next two days in bed with a huge migraine but the medal was all worth it.

So, today is Jenny's birthday and I wanted to show her how much me and hundreds of others care about her.  I wanted to tell her for months how inspiring she is, and how she got me through some bad asthma months, and how every time I struggle I think of her.  Or how I wear my bracelet every time I run even though it does not match, or of how I have her now permanently on my marathon gear bag:

So, happy birthday, Jenny.  Enjoy this wonderful day!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Hip Redux

That is really special.  Smile

happylily

Wow... this was so moving, Damaris... How awesome of you to do this for our dear friend Jenny. I didn't know how she was doing, haven't been in touch for a while. I will send her my best thoughts. What a wonderful post once again! Thank you for doing this!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Docket_Rocket

I didn't want to give too many details out but this was not my idea or doing.  Bob! was the enabler that allowed hundreds of us in FB to move.  Katrina was also amazing creating the bracelets (Bob! created the stickers).  It was all great to part of.  But the credit goes to them alone.

Wow... this was so moving, Damaris... How awesome of you to do this for our dear friend Jenny. I didn't know how she was doing, haven't been in touch for a while. I will send her my best thoughts. What a wonderful post once again! Thank you for doing this!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

happylily

I didn't want to give too many details out but this was not my idea or doing.  Bob! was the enabler that allowed hundreds of us in FB to move.  Katrina was also amazing creating the bracelets (Bob! created the stickers).  It was all great to part of.  But the credit goes to them alone.

I agree that they are both very special human beings... Jenny is in good hands with them.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Goorun

Slow and steady never wins anything.

LRB

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

This is amazing! What a great concept!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Little Blue

Great races, D, and how cool that lots of strangers wanted to know what you were doing.

I still have my bracelet on, since I received it a few weeks ago.  We did a normal training run on the 23rd.  Every time I've been running and feel like cutting it short, Jenny reminds me that it's not time to quit.  What an inspiration she is, and an honor it is to do this for her.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

That's a really special way to think of Jenny during her struggles D.  To think that she helped you through to your PR is awesome, and just as impressive is your ability to battle through that tough half with her in mind.

I also got to run for Jenny at a 5k prediction race, here in OH.  We had a great turnout at our little running store and I really hope that knowing how many of us are thinking of her lifts her spirits.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

YAYpril - B-Plus

I love this. I love everything about this entire endeavor. I haven't taken my bracelet off since I received it in early January. Smile

Jenny, if you read this, make sure to go back and read RR's that were written in the past few weeks. If you look closely, you'll see lots of orange bracelets. I smiled every time I saw one.

Docket_Rocket

Yes, we were all incognito....

I love this. I love everything about this entire endeavor. I haven't taken my bracelet off since I received it in early January. Smile

Jenny, if you read this, make sure to go back and read RR's that were written in the past few weeks. If you look closely, you'll see lots of orange bracelets. I smiled every time I saw one.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

B-Plus

I don't know what's going on, but that's great of your group to do that. Happy bday Jenny.

Philliefan33

I don't participate in the FB group, but I remember Jenny and her history from RWOL.

Is she fighting the fight again?  Can I get a bracelet?

Docket_Rocket

I'll ask Katrina if there are any bracelets available.  It is not too late to join the group, since I am guessing this is not the end of this journey.

I don't participate in the FB group, but I remember Jenny and her history from RWOL.

Is she fighting the fight again?  Can I get a bracelet?

Damaris

Fundraising Page