Beginners and Beyond

RR- Flying Pig - 26.2 (May 5th 2013) (Read 144 times)

Tori Runs in PA

Pittsburgh RN!

TOMASS!! Congratulations, you look amazing and especially for a 27 y/o lady!!!!!

Do or do not, there is no try. 

My first races EVER! 

Saxonburg Distance Series 5KRaces: 

#1: 7-14-2012 Cross Country Crusade 5K: 42:50 

#2: 8-11-2012 Roebling's Run 5K: 38:54

#3: 9-8-2012 Festival of the Arts 5K: 36:37

Congrats on finishing your second marathon.  Those girls were pretty brave to drive with a stranger!  I love the pics.  You look like you are definitely enjoying yourself.  Smile

TOMASS!! Congratulations, you look amazing and especially for a 27 y/o lady!!!!!

Thanks

I ran the marathon as a 34 yr old guy. I guess the 5k aged me and also changed me some Smile

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

Congrats on finishing and sharing your race report.  That was quite the adventure just getting to the race! I love the pic of you and your sister after the race. Awesome smiles!

Thanks. The up close picture was the one we sent to family right after the race. My face was much happier than my legs. Smile

Tomas

SheCan

Nice report, T-rod!  Congratulations on both races! LOL@being a 27 yr old woman in your 5k, but hey, a chance to race is a chance to race!  Super good job on a marathon you weren't even training for!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Way to go, T-Rod!  Congrats on your 5K and on your marathon!  How was the weather up there?

Gotta love runners, lol.  Who else as total strangers would share a car for a multi-state ride, lol. Apparently, we runners just immediately bond with each other! Big grin

I think you earned TWO rest days! Wink

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Way to go, T-Rod!  Congrats on your 5K and on your marathon!  How was the weather up there?

Gotta love runners, lol.  Who else as total strangers would share a car for a multi-state ride, lol. Apparently, we runners just immediately bond with each other! Big grin

I think you earned TWO rest days! Wink

Weather was cool and light rain. It felt great. Much nicer I run in than south texas.

Runners I think are good people in general and I guess I look harmless.

I am going to get some walking miles in this week and then start a real plan for a fall race. I am hoping for the panhandle marathon in Lubbock TX. I know it's flat and I can crash at my dads house Smile

Tomas

pae

Nice job, Tomas! The Pig yesterday was my first marathon, and I really had a great time.  (I also did the 10k and 5k on Saturday, so I completed the 4-way).

I'm from Colorado, and I was ready for the hills, but I have to say that they were definitely challenging.  And having a nice little hill right before the finish line was a bit cruel.  But the crowd support was great.  It started raining on me around 12 miles in, and that was one weather condition that I hadn't trained in.  It never did seem to rain very hard, though.

I suppose I could write my own RR, but it's all kinda blurred together right now.

Nice job, Tomas! The Pig yesterday was my first marathon, and I really had a great time.  (I also did the 10k and 5k on Saturday, so I completed the 4-way).

I'm from Colorado, and I was ready for the hills, but I have to say that they were definitely challenging.  And having a nice little hill right before the finish line was a bit cruel.  But the crowd support was great.  It started raining on me around 12 miles in, and that was one weather condition that I hadn't trained in.  It never did seem to rain very hard, though.

I suppose I could write my own RR, but it's all kinda blurred together right now.

woohoo you beat 4:30. thats awesome. (I stalked your log)

that rain was good as it kept the temps down.

did you get anything extra for the 4 way?

keep up the good work.

Tomas

RedSparkle

Tomas,

Great job completing your second marathon.  I know you learned a lot during this experience.  I do think there's something to be said about running by feel.  I know I've talked with you about this a bit before.  Things didn't go as planned, but that's okay.  If you had been focused on times and gone out very conservatively, you could have still had issues, or you could have had no issues but wondered what else you could have done. Wink 

I'd like to say it's crazy for strangers to just happen to pile into cars with one another to "road trip," and maybe it is, but I've had many encounters with runners who were strangers and no bad consequences.  I've gotten into strangers' cars, I've let strangers into my car, I've stayed in hotel rooms with strangers (including sharing a bed with one--a female who used to post here but who I'd never even chatted with before), I've stayed at strangers' houses, and I've welcomed strangers into my house.  I've gotten criticism for this, but my life has been greatly enriched through these encounters.

For the record, you shouldn't have run with someone else's bib, but in this instance, I don't think any harm was done.  There are two specific reasons I can think of for why not to run under someone else's bib (besides the fact that "it's against the rules"): 1) You could mess up the ranking,  This did happen in this race since you were improperly categorized, but due to the large number of people and the fact you weren't in the awards, I think the effects are negligible. And more importantly 2) If something happened to you on the course, there would be confusion over who you were since the race has no info on you.  Just something to keep in mind on the future. Smile

I love all of your photos. Smile  So what's next?

Katrina

Docket_Rocket

Sounds like you had fun!  Great job, nonetheless.

This one is on my list.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Tomas,

Great job completing your second marathon.  I know you learned a lot during this experience.  I do think there's something to be said about running by feel.  I know I've talked with you about this a bit before.  Things didn't go as planned, but that's okay.  If you had been focused on times and gone out very conservatively, you could have still had issues, or you could have had no issues but wondered what else you could have done. Wink 

I'd like to say it's crazy for strangers to just happen to pile into cars with one another to "road trip," and maybe it is, but I've had many encounters with runners who were strangers and no bad consequences.  I've gotten into strangers' cars, I've let strangers into my car, I've stayed in hotel rooms with strangers (including sharing a bed with one--a female who used to post here but who I'd never even chatted with before), I've stayed at strangers' houses, and I've welcomed strangers into my house.  I've gotten criticism for this, but my life has been greatly enriched through these encounters.

For the record, you shouldn't have run with someone else's bib, but in this instance, I don't think any harm was done.  There are two specific reasons I can think of for why not to run under someone else's bib (besides the fact that "it's against the rules"): 1) You could mess up the ranking,  This did happen in this race since you were improperly categorized, but due to the large number of people and the fact you weren't in the awards, I think the effects are negligible. And more importantly 2) If something happened to you on the course, there would be confusion over who you were since the race has no info on you.  Just something to keep in mind on the future. Smile

I love all of your photos. Smile  So what's next?

Katrina

What's next: I am thinking the panhandle marathon in Lubbock tx (september). it's flat and it's my hometown. I need to check my son's football schedule in the fall before I can register for it.

Tomas

pae

woohoo you beat 4:30. thats awesome. (I stalked your log)

that rain was good as it kept the temps down.

did you get anything extra for the 4 way?

keep up the good work.

For the 4-way, I got an long sleeved tech shirt, plus a plaque for the medals.

camille2

Congratulations!  Great job!  I really like the pics and it sounds like a fun race.

For the 4-way, I got an long sleeved tech shirt, plus a plaque for the medals.

sweet.

Tomas