Beginners and Beyond

How Do You Eat During the Day of An Evening Weekday Race (Read 38 times)

Tomorrow, I'm participating in a local 5K which starts at 7:30pm.  I have an eating routine for morning races which involves usually an English muffin with peanut butter and a beverage.  I eat about 1 1/2 to 2 hours prior to the race.  My body responds well to this fuel for distances 1 mile to 10K.

Now  for an evening race which it seems I run one about once a year, I've never set a good eating routine the day of the race.  What has been successful for you eating the day of the evening race.  Do you eat something between lunch and start time?  Any ideas are appreciated.

Disclaimer:  Since I'm slow it may not make an noticeable time difference but I want to feel that I've run completely fueled but not run feeling "heavy".

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot

delicate flower

I eat what I would normally eat and hold off on dinner until after the race.  I do most of my running in the late afternoon so I would just do what I normally do and eat what I normally eat.  Afternoon snack is usually a yogurt and a couple pieces of fruit.

<3

Since I normally work Saturdays, I like to squeeze in evening weekday races when possible.

I'll eat a normal breakfast -- some fruit, greek yogurt, and a grain of some sort followed by late AM coffee.

Lunch is kept light preceding evening races.  My go-to right now is two fresh, dry bagels, a small chia seed bar, and some sort of tea or kombucha.  I've also tried 6" Subway, but their rolls make me fart too much.    Then a Powerade on the drive from work to the race, and no other food until afterwards.

Docket_Rocket

I usually run in the evenings and whenever I race in the evening, I follow the same as my normal run days.  I eat lunch at the normal time and a pre-run snack at least 2 hours prior to the race.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Thanks guys and gal!

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot

Love the Half

Normal lunch (which is typically fairly light anyway) and then an afternoon snack around 4:00 (which I normally wouldn't have).

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Docket_Rocket

You guys have the opposite of my lunches.  Since I run in the afternoon, lunch is my heaviest meal of the day.  So, take that into consideration, bozydeco.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

catwhoorg

Labrat

Maybe an extra piece of fruit at lunch.

Then a carb heavy snack apout 3 hours before the race.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18