Beginners and Beyond

What if? Wednesday Penguins (Read 23 times)

PADRunner

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!).

PADRunner

So what if I accidentally signed up for a Marathon on 3/1.

I'm already signed up for a Half on 12/4 and plan on a 10k 10/11, and probably a couple of 5ks here and there.

When/where/how do I start without hurting/killing myself.

I'm trying to get a solid 20-25 mpw base currently. to start with

Oh and what if I accidentally signed up for a 5k on 2/28 the day before the marathon!

Oh well out for 4, back later.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

God morning PAD and Pengs.

PAD, good idea to not hurt yourself.  Take frequent RD's.

RD for me after yesterday's "fast" 6.  Knees are still a little achy.  We probably will take a walk after work.

Have a great "National Cheesecake Day"

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I feel better today!  SRD although I might feel well enough to do some PiYo tonight.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Brilliant

Good morning Penguins!  Happy running or rest day to all of you today.  I'm taking a day (or more) off because I have a nasty cold. Sad

PAD, how exciting for you.  I'm still trying to decide if/when I'll attempt another marathon.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Up at 5 a.m. and off to the university gym.   Did 3.6 miles around the campus and in an adjacent neighborhood.    Nice morning, dew-point under 70 again.   Another hot one today, will be 99 degrees.  Saw that Phoenix yesterday hit 110, actual temp!  Zowie!   Hope SheCan didn't get any fall-out from that!

How do you accidentally sign up for a marathon, PAD?  And if it was an accident, wont' your insurance pay to cover it? 

Is today Cheesecake Day, Jerry.  I won't be celebrating then...I've never liked cheesecake.   Happy rest day! Hope the knees feel better.  Get some Peppermint lotion and rub it on calfs, knees, quad, hamstrings, feet, etc.  Very rejuvenating!

Glad you're feeling better, Damaris.

Sorry about your cold, Brilliant!  lots of vitamin C....or is it E?   D?  I forget...just pick one of the multiple choice answers.     Hope you feel better soon.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!! We slept in this morning and felt much better for it, so woo-hoo!! Quartet rehearsal tonight, that's another woo-hoo!!

PAD -- no advice here, but I'm sure folks with more experience will chime in. Good luck!!

Jerryb -- have a good RD!! Docket -- glad you're feeling better!!

Brilliant -- I hate colds! Hope you feel better soon!!

scotty -- woo-hoo for your early morning run!!

I make an awesome cheesecake ... just sayin' ... 

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

tracilynn

Hi pengs!

exciting news pad!

I did 2.5M last night and then woke up early this morning to do 3M in record cool temps. Upper 50s and zero humidity. Pure heaven.

chores now 

~~~~~~~

Traci

Zelanie

Hey guys!  Wednesday RD here for me. Smile  I used it to schedule a trip next week to the sloth sanctuary on the Caribbean side of the country (even if they've been getting torrential downpours and flooding since we arrived).  I am going to get to take DD with me, too, so it's like a mini-vacation for us.

PAD- Exciting news!  How you prepare depends on what you want to get out of your race, I think.  There's Galloway and Higdon, of course, and Hanson's has a "beginner" plan that is still pretty challenging.

Jerry- Enjoy the RD and the cheesecake.

D- Glad you're on the mend.

Brilliant- Feel better!

Scotty- It's interesting how much warmed it is where you are.  But we have some elevation to cool things off.

HsM- Sounds like a great day!

Traci- What is this no humidity you speak of?

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

So what if I accidentally signed up for a Marathon on 3/1.

I'm already signed up for a Half on 12/4 and plan on a 10k 10/11, and probably a couple of 5ks here and there.

When/where/how do I start without hurting/killing myself.

I'm trying to get a solid 20-25 mpw base currently. to start with

Oh and what if I accidentally signed up for a 5k on 2/28 the day before the marathon!

Oh well out for 4, back later.

It's just a simple left at Lancaster instead of a right for the HM. Wink

oh and why not make it the Ultra instead? 50k only 5 more miles and a GREATLY reduced field! 7.5 hour finish time allowance.

Going for the Cowtown challenge I see.

Good luck!

For that matter scottydawg should come up to Fort Worth and join you on the cowtown ultra!  You could make a great team.

PADRunner

For that matter scottydawg should come up to Fort Worth and join you on the cowtown ultra!  You could make a great team.

We could take turns pushing each other in the wheelchair.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Afternoon all!

Running a local $5 5k this evening-- seems like a good idea on my second day back to running after 2 months off =D  Obviously I'm not racing it for any sort of time.  My new to running friend is doing it and she typically runs about a 41-43 minute 5k, so the plan is to hang out with her.  Maybe I can try to spur her onto PR.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Singer who runs a smidge

Sounds like fun!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Zel, I need the Chicago Bulls baseball shirt for the game tomorrow.  Can you Overnight it?

Docket_Rocket

Wait, I missed that PAD IS RUNNING A MARATHON!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page