Beginners and Beyond

Wednesday Penguins have miles to go before they sleep! (Read 201 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Had the day off yesterday as I dealt with all the accident aftermath, insurance, talking to insurance assessor and repair shop, arranging for a rental car, etc., mostly a lot of on the phone stuff.  Finally, at about 3:30 PM, I did not want to deal with it anymore for a while so I went out for a run in my neighborhood.  Did 3.75 miles of mild hills in 40 minutes.  Weather was nice, 54 degrees, sunny, no wind. 

However, after I got back home and inside, I suddenly got the 'chills'.  Don't know if it was a delayed reaction to the accident, or a bit of carryover from the virus I had last week, or what, but all of a sudden I just felt really cold and could not keep warm.  I took a really hot shower, then piled on some sweats, etc. and climbed under the covers and slept for about 2 hours.  Then Gail got home and gave me tea and soup.  Sat right in front of my heating vent with layers of clothing on, starting to get nice and toasty, then went to bed early.  Woke up this a.m. feeling really good.   After I got out of the shower, Gail told me she was going to change the sheets cuz they were drenched on my side of the bed, so apparently whatever I had I profusely sweated it all out last night. 

Today I am back at work and will work an hour or so late, catching up on work I missed from yesterday.  Today is a rest day for me from running, then back at it tomorrow. 

BTW, the rental car provided for me - my insurance covers it - is a Dodge Charger.  A muscle car!  I feel like such a fraud...I don't have any muscles... Joking

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

BTW, the rental car provided for me - my insurance covers it - is a Dodge Charger.  A muscle car!  I feel like such a fraud...I don't have any muscles... Joking

maybe cruise around campus and check out the hotties in your cool ride Smile

Steph- glad you are feeling better and posting again. good luck on those finals.

I was told earlier  by the high school counselor that her husband is amazed by me and my running. He says that he cant ditch anymore workouts because of T-Rod can do it than he can do it. The HS principal knows I run and he said how much did you run today. I told him 7 miles and he was like holy crap what time do you get up. I told him I was out the door at 5:15 and he thought I was crazy. I then told him that theres nothing to it, I just do it. He looked at me funny and I told him that I did just shy of 17 before church on sunday and he just shook his head. Little does he know that I am more amazed by how he keeps his sanity with 5 kids. He has a 17 (step kid), 11, 7, 2 (adopted), and  2 (oops). To me that is crazier than a fat guy like me cruising around town in the dark for an hour or so each morning.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Smile

Hi Penguins!!!

I had my first good run since my end-of-the-world cold struck.  I ran 5 miles at a 10:21 pace! It is still slower than I would have run it pre-cold (it would have been 9:45ish) but I'm getting better.  I ONLY had to slow down to cough once, just once!!  I'll be running 3ish miles between work and tonight's final.  I won't have time for more and I shouldn't run much more than that anyways.  I'm only supposed to run 20 miles this week.  I'll be bumping up my miles quicker than I did last time though, 25 miles next week. Clowning around  I only have 13 1/2 weeks until my goal race so I'm super happy about being back to running!!

Tomas, what a great run this am.  Brrr... 30 degrees... that is colder than it is here in New England today.

Brady, I too hope for percipitation while I'm running or for colder weather.  I need more points for the winter running game!!

SmileSmileSmileSmile

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Had the day off yesterday as I dealt with all the accident aftermath, insurance, talking to insurance assessor and repair shop, arranging for a rental car, etc., mostly a lot of on the phone stuff.  Finally, at about 3:30 PM, I did not want to deal with it anymore for a while so I went out for a run in my neighborhood.  Did 3.75 miles of mild hills in 40 minutes.  Weather was nice, 54 degrees, sunny, no wind. 

However, after I got back home and inside, I suddenly got the 'chills'.  Don't know if it was a delayed reaction to the accident, or a bit of carryover from the virus I had last week, or what, but all of a sudden I just felt really cold and could not keep warm.  I took a really hot shower, then piled on some sweats, etc. and climbed under the covers and slept for about 2 hours.  Then Gail got home and gave me tea and soup.  Sat right in front of my heating vent with layers of clothing on, starting to get nice and toasty, then went to bed early.  Woke up this a.m. feeling really good.   After I got out of the shower, Gail told me she was going to change the sheets cuz they were drenched on my side of the bed, so apparently whatever I had I profusely sweated it all out last night. 

Today I am back at work and will work an hour or so late, catching up on work I missed from yesterday.  Today is a rest day for me from running, then back at it tomorrow. 

Muscle car to Shiner ???

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

the biggest fear people have that are hosting a holiday party is a toilet malfunction.  No problem for me, Gustav, I just send everyone out the back door and have them pee through the fence into my crazy neighbor's yard.  Big grin  Hey, you can always play "runner" and rent a port-a-potty for everyone to use.

How many times around did you go, Jerry?  I think after so many times around on an indoor track, they should have that 'brass ring' thing near the track and if you can pull the brass ring out of the machine as you run by, you win a small prize!  Like maybe ginger pills for dizziness... Wink

Sorry about the achey-tired feeling Margo.  Hope your run helps you feel better.

This is the last time we'll ever see a repeating date.  Maybe for you, Dave.  Me, I'm gonna live forever...Roll eyes

Damaris, what is "MLR"?  Major Long Run....Miles of Laps Run....My Lackadaisical Run....Miami Labyrinthine Run....My Laughingstock Run...My Limitless Run....ok, I give up...  Sorry about the back,  hope your witch doctor, er, chiro, can help with it.  I feel for ya, though, my back hurts all the time,  24/7 to some degree or other.  Lucky for me, most of the time it is minimal, but oh, those days when it is bad...ouch ouch ouch!  Can't move, can't bend, can't do a whole lot.  Stupid spinal arthritis. I really do wish you a speedy recovery.

What race will you be doing, Awood?

Congrats on your miles, Brady.  We need more precipitation too.  Rain!  It's winter, but our aquifer is so low we are still on water restrictions.

Sounds like you have a plan there, Mitch.

Hope you feel better Jimmy?  What is a Paleo diet?  Something though up by a paleontologist?  And so you just eat prehistoric foods....like bark...and leaves...and fossils....

Gustav- I think you can fix the toilet yourself.  I had to laugh at that, Tomas, imagining if you had said that to me.  I'm a guy who can't even hammer in a nail without bending it, can't draw a straight line even using a ruler, lol.  After I once tried to fix something Gail wandered away, shaking her head, then came back carrying something, handed me the Yellow Pages and said  "Look, buddy, THIS is your only tool from now on!"  She is the handy-person around our house.   Yeah, cold here in San Antonio too, a flippin 28 degrees this morning when I woke up, brrrrr! 

Hope you feel better, Kristin!

29 degrees, Bill, that is way too cold to run in!   Kudos to you for even being out there.  

Gustav - toilets are an easy fix.

Bill, you wouldn't be saying that if you watched me try to fix one.

Wow, Robert, that is quite skilled, being able to run in between showers!  Wink  Congrats on your miles.

Glad your IT band feels better, Jack.  Enjoy the time with your DS.  Where does he go to school?

24 degrees, dang n8ugov!  See my note above to Bill! Joking  Our high today in San Antonio will be 61.  Sure you don't want to move?

Hi colony! Still pouting about my shin  I missed something, what's up with Lauren's shin? Sorry, Lauren, whatever it is, hope you have a speedy recovery.

Glad you are feeling better, Steph!  Your slow pace is speedwork for me, lol.

Happy running, trenruns, hope the leg keeps behaving for you and keeps getting better.  Looking forward to winter-ish type weather, I just purely and simply do not understand some of you crazy people, wanting cold weather around.  I have lived through real winter weather, used to live in Ohio and England and saw some snow during Air Force days in Greenland and Alaska.  Give me Texas summer anytime over winter.  Especially now, but maybe that's cuz I'm getting older now and maybe feel the cold more.  I just hate cold weather and being cold.

DH wanted to eat 5 guys burger and fries so I did that instead of running.  Well, Traci, next time you run you'll just have to make up for that by doing two 5-milers in one day.  Wink    Sorry about your sick little one, hope he/she gets well soon.

maybe cruise around campus and check out the hotties in your cool ride Smile  Yer funny, Tomas.   With my luck, one of them would report me to the campus police as a dirty old man cruisin' the grounds.  Then the campus cops would all show up, pull me over...and then start laughing their butts off and "giving me the business" since they all know me, cuz both them and me know I'm about as far from being a "ladies' man" as you can almost get....how embarrassing....Blush  Big grin

Yeah, Jerry, my car won't be ready until Next Tues or Wed, with the work schedule at the shop, so I probably will have to drive the rental to Shiner for my race this weekend.  

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Scotty: DS goes to UC San Diego.  I posted late on Tuesday's forum, but next year, if they qualify, both DDs will have the opportunity to run in San Antonio. If they do, I will do my best to join you in whatever 5k you will be doing. Smile

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Zel - We have similar PR's as well.  Mine's 26:58:52.  I'll keep my streak going with only a minimal cutback in mileage on Friday, and leave the electronics at home.  IT'S A PENGUIN 5K SHOWDOWN!!!  Do I get a weight adjusted time?

Kristin - It's a 5K, and I guess it's a virtual race with Zel.  We're going to see who can waddle faster.  :-)

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Mmmmm...beer

Tomas, I do run the same route every day, the routine is actually kind of nice, but I'm weird like that.  I throw in a trail every now and then, but I haven't for a while.  My long runs are done out on an old stretch of highway that's been turned into a running/biking park it's nice because it's marked every 1/4 mile, and I don't have to worry about getting hit by a car.  If you see me post a 10 miler, that's my usual 8 with a few extra loops thrown in the middle.  

Kristin, I am fully recovered, and pretty amazed that I recovered so quickly.  Did my 8 this morning at 8:08/mile with no soreness.

Traci, I did fuel before and during.  I had oatmeal and a banana about 2 hours before running, and then a Gu packet every 45 mins during the run.  I do all of my 8-10 milers fasted first thing in the morning, and have gone up to 16 miles with no fuel or water.  Usually I'll do a small drink of water and then some gum to keep my mouth moist and I'm good to go. Smile

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Bill - Thanks buddy!

Docket - You'll be back to 100% by the time I post this.  I'm sure of it.

T-Rod - Yeah, I don't know who would win that fight, but I can assure you that she could catch you.  Even if you did manage to create some distance, she could chase you forever.

Jack - What's this 7:00 minute pace you speak of?  Is that a real thing?

Steph - Minor setback.  Don't panic.  Nice and easy...penguin style!

tren - Yeah, you need to get your butt in the igloo more often.  Where have you been? 

traci - That is quite the compromise.  That sounds like congress trying to broker a deal...lol

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Scotty - I'm running the "Run For The Heart 5K".  It should be fun.  Don't worry about not having muscles and driving a muscle car.  They say that people compensate with their cars.  That's why I drive a Nissan Versa.  I'm compensating for a huge ________ with a tiny car.

T-Rod - There you go inspiring people again.  You're the reason Hostess went under.  You owe me a Twinkie!

AFM - I gotta get out the door and get running, but a competitor company called me today and tried to get me to come to the dark side.  I told them they couldn't afford me.  I'm working on a training plan for a race that hasn't been scheduled yet.  Thank goodness Jack Daniels' plans are flexible.  They say they will announce the date on January 1st.  Thanks!!  Why is registration already open?  Seriously guys.  Are you race organizers, or just promoters?  I want my first HM of the year to awesome.  I need to know!!!  Well, I know it's either the last week of March or the first weekend of April.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

hog4life

6.25 done with the middle 4 at 8:20. Awood and zel are racing! Ohh yea Smile
                        Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

awood: Lol!! That is the pace that puts me on the brink of a heart attack. I just got back and I did it! I wanted to give my IT band a good test and it passed with flying colors. I did a one mile warm up, then two one mile intervals with a half mile recovery after each, and a one mile cool down. Some of it was downhill, but so what? I still did it and I am happy. Good luck in your 5k. Smile

<tfoot> </tfoot>

Split

Time

Distance

Avg Pace

Summary 41:01.8 5.02 8:11
                          1 9:25.1 1.07 8:48
                          2 6:40.0 1.00 6:40
                          3 4:29.8 0.50 9:00
                          4 6:44.1 1.00 6:44
                          5 4:43.8 0.50 9:28
                          6 8:59.0 0.95 9:28
                          Zelanie

OK, It's ON like donkey kong!

Actually my money would be on Awood, but I'll do my best to give him a run for his money!  My race isn't until 4:30 PM Pacific time though.  I won't peek at his time until I'm done.

Jack- Holy cow those were some fast miles!

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Penguin race!!! Can't wait to see who wins!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to