Beginners and Beyond

Becoming a Shoe Tester (Read 261 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

After purchasing a pair of Brooks Adrenaline GTS 13 tonight I decided to apply to be a tester for their shoes,  I figure this way I can try new shoes without buying them and not liking them Big grin, won't know if they approve of me but hey it can't hurt to try.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

xor

I wear test shoes for Brooks,  In my case, it helps that I live in the same city as Brooks central.  You add your name to the list... randomly and urgently, they will contact you. At some point.  Fingers crossed.

meaghansketch

I've applied for a couple of these... No luck so far.  Probably doesn't help that I am a woman who wears mens' sizes in shoes Blush

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Great, I was hoping for more luck than that lol. Oh well, I won't worry too much on it. Smile

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

daisymae25

Squidward Bike Rider

I'm a tester for RW...free shoes every couple of months really helps offset the other expenses associated with our sport.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I'm a tester for RW...free shoes every couple of months really helps offset the other expenses associated with our sport.

.......... Where do you go to become a shoe tester for RW?

PRs

crazyrunninglady

Warrior Princess

I have been a product tester for Nike for 3 years.  I mostly do endurance test so my being forced to cut my mileage next year may limit my opportunities.  Typically, I get a shoe for 8 weeks with a specific mileage request and then the shoe goes back.  During that time a mileage log is required as are 2-3 surveys.

Product testing is a mixed bag. 

On the positive side, free shoes, previews of things not yet on the market.

On the negative side, sometimes you will hate the shoe you are testing.  And sometimes you may love it only to not be able to buy it because it is not yet on the market.

zfish

King Rake

I applied to test for Mizuno about a month ago, no word yet.

Jess runs for bacon

I asked to test for NB, nothing yet Sad

I have been a product tester for Nike for 3 years.  I mostly do endurance test so my being forced to cut my mileage next year may limit my opportunities.  Typically, I get a shoe for 8 weeks with a specific mileage request and then the shoe goes back.  During that time a mileage log is required as are 2-3 surveys.

Product testing is a mixed bag. 

On the positive side, free shoes, previews of things not yet on the market.

On the negative side, sometimes you will hate the shoe you are testing.  And sometimes you may love it only to not be able to buy it because it is not yet on the market.

I've done this before as well for Nike, as the shoes that I got were some type of cross trainer.  They looked pretty 'snazzy', but sucked big time in funtionality.  I withdrew my name, as I couldn't be bothered with returning the shoes, completing the logs, etc.  It just wasn't worth it, especially when you didn't get to keep the product.  Nike was pimpin' me big time.

Just B.S.

I'd never thought of applying to be one. I figured they wouldn't want to mail the shoes to Canada anyway!LOL Sure would save hubby and I a lot of $$ on shoes.

I think I should hit up the folks at Asics.....I'm on my 24th consecutive pair of Gel Cumulus with photos to prove it.......of course I probably wouldn't have much to say except "don't change them"!

xor

When I applied with Brooks, I think 6-8 months went by before they contacted me.  And when they did, it was a "red bang" DO IT NOW!!! fire drill email.

I have been through 3 different cycles with them, and each time was the same way.

FWIW, unlike car makers, Brooks and many other shoe companies introduce models at different times during the year.   For example, the product cycle for Adrenaline is completely different from Ravenna.

runmomto3boys

That is kind of cool...

JohnRed

This was kind of a weird coincidence -- I read this thread this morning, and about an hour later I got an email telling me that I was getting some shoes from the mizuno mezamashii project!   *doing the Free Shoes Dance* Big grin

Has anybody else been in the mezamashii program? I'm feeling a little performance anxiety I think. I've been letting my mileage slip lately,  I'll have to start cracking the whip.