Beginners and Beyond

Bob Potts Marathon, a PW and great race. (Read 142 times)

scissorbill

Well done!

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

A general thanks to all of you isn't enough, so here goes:

Damaris - the FE photos I have are posted. You can always bug the others for theirs

workinprogress11 - yes it was scary for them. I'm really sorry I put them through that, but when I stop my legs said, okay we're done.

DaveP - at one point I was in survival mode and all I wanted to do was finish as soon as I could. At that point I wouldn't have believed I would be able to run, much less sprint at the end.

Julie - as much as I rely on and have followed my own plans, this is something I couldn't have done without Ian's coaching and trusting that he knows what he's doing. It was a good plan and as much his as it was mine, so I need to give credit where it's due

aplodder - thanks

Kiwi runner - the work schedule was totally unplanned and a last minute change from something that would have been manageable. But I'm going to be sure I take enough time off before NC 24 that something similar can't happen

So_Im_a_Runner - yes, forgot the shoes. I was running a mental check list while driving to work and realized that. It wouldn't have been a total disaster if I hadn't remember until after I got to work. I would have done a last minute check before leaving from work. I knew I would be shifting to run/walk sometime during the race. The question and decision was when to do it. The results seem to corroborate that my choice was a good one.

Ric-G - a great crew. I hope they understand how much it meant to me

scottydawg - you should appreciate the wry humor in being ecstatic about a personal worst. It's a different way to evaluate a race

Supersono99 - this has given me a big boost in confidence for NC24

LRB - venturing into new distances and feeling like a beginner, is giving me a new appreciation of what newer and slower runners experience

irishguy - thanks

Rondog65 - thanks

Hobbitlegs78 - thanks, I'm beginning to understand what those finishers medals mean for people

Jay716 - thanks

paulajmcd - thanks

Love the Half - I don't know where that energy came from, but with suffcient incentive I found it and put it to use. In retrospect I've been thinking about Noakes' general governor theory of th ebody conserving a certain reserve that it won't let the muscles use until the end is in sight.

Zelanie - maybe I should write a new marathon training book: Mile to Marathon, the 8-week Plan?

Jack K - thanks

AKTrail - I'm not sure where Ian will be taking me next in training, but walking is going to be a large part of it. My long training runs already include getting used to walk breaks and seeing how often I need them

Fuzzy - thanks

hog4life - thanks

TakeAHike - you remember correctly. Fortunately I was able to work through that. Racing some middle distance races where I some some modest success helped. Reading RedSparkle's RRs and cheering at NC24 last year promted me to try an ultra.

Zentastic - I felt like I was going through an abbreviation Higdon Intermediate 1 program. Having decades of running experience and base helped.

scissorbill -thanks

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Philliefan33

Way to tough it out, George. It's pretty remarkable to think that you were focusing on a fast mile just a few months ago.

Zelanie

Zelanie - maybe I should write a new marathon training book: Mile to Marathon, the 8-week Plan?

As long as you remind your readers that the plan works best with a couple decades of base building!

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Race photos are available through the race site. Note the password to access them. I'm on page 29 of the 4-mile folder and page 83 of the finish folder.

Found a few more photos in the 22 mile mark - folder 2 folder, p 36.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

B-Plus

Congratulations wcrunner! I didn't realize it had been that long since your last marathon. 5:30 on the dot? That sure is something. To be a bit selfish for a moment, I'm glad to hear that a racer experienced as you are still gets the nerves.

Adam_McAllen

Beer-and-waffle Powered

Exactly 5:30:00? Let's just assume that they rounded up a 5:29:29.8Big grin.

Nice report and race overall. Good luck with NC24. I laughed when I read about you almost forgetting your shoes because I did the same thing (left my bag with ALL my running gear in a hotel), thankfully we were both able to get our stuff before it was too late.

In the words of my late-coach : Just hang in there, relax... and at the end of a race anyone you see.....just pass them

RedSparkle

Nice job, George.  Indeed, you have made a lot of progress in the last couple months.  I look foward to seeing how you do at NC24!

Ian was a true blesing to me, so I'm very glad to hear things have worked out with the two of you also. Smile

Katrina