Beginners and Beyond

For Those that Travel to Races (Read 62 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I just received my new medium sized gym bag today so it got me thinking about this question. I had a perfect bag but one of my cats peed on it a while back and I can't stand the smell.

Does your race gear have it's own separate bag/luggage bag?

Warning: As THE DAY draws ever closer, I will most likely be asking a bunch of random and even stupid questions just for the hell of it.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

LRB

I had a perfect bag but one of my cats peed on it a while back...

lol

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

lol

The little brat got locked in our bedroom all day and squeezed herself into the closet, I didn't know she had peed on it until we went to Indy last year, the damn thing stunk 

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

LRB

To answer your question yes, and I actually have three running specific bags that I use depending on the time of the year and where I am going.  All of which made the five hour trip with me to my first marathon (one has since been replaced).

I am from the better to have it and not need it camp than the need it and not have it one but as with anything, your mileage may vary.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I have one good sized bag, but I will still stuff a couple extra emergency things in my regular large bag.

PRs

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

If I'm just traveling overnight for the race, that may be the only bag I take, but if I plan to make it a long weekend, I'll include a second bag if driving or a large knapsack that serves as a carryon if I'm flying.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                    05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

B-Plus

I have a specific bag for gear check (where allowed) and for bringing to the track, but for traveling to races, say in an airplane, everything goes in my carry on along with my other clothes, etc.

For flying, no.  There's one duffel and one carry-on backpack.

For driving, yes.  Race shoes and clothes get their own bag.

Docket_Rocket

I put everything on my carry on and travel with it. If, on the off chance I trave for more than 5 days and need to check my bags, I keep the shoes with me.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

happylily

Ditto.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

RSX

I tag along with my wife when she does yard sales. Last 2 times I got 2 gym bags for $5 each which I will use for just races. They go through the wash and are good to go. I use one for gear checks, and see potential in it for dedicated running travel bags. The other is a backup.

bluerun

Super B****

Kind of -- the checked bag has a separate bag in it that's my "race bag."

But I have that "I don't travel to races" policy, so this really only comes into play for me once a year. 

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

I've only traveled to two races - one by car and one by plane. By plane, I packed an empty duffel bag into my carry on so that I could check it at the race. It was only a weekend trip, but I generally only bring a carry-on for domestic flights, so I doubt I would brought (and checked) a separate bag if it had been longer. By car, I just packed everything into the duffel. If it had been a week long trip, then I would have probably just thrown my shoes in the backseat instead of packing them to save space for more clothes.

5k - 25:15 (11/18/12)

10k - 1:01:51 (2/14/15)

10mi - 1:33:18 (3/2/14)

HM - 2:06:12 (3/24/13)

Upcoming Races:

Benched until further notice. :/

Everything you need is already inside. [[Bill Bowerman]]

Little Blue

I didn't vote because there is no "it depends" option.  Most of the races I travel to are by car, so it depends generally on the weather.  If it's a warm season and race clothes are minimal, they go in the bag with the other warm-season clothes that don't take up as much space.  If it's cold and the off-running hours will require jeans and sweat shirts, I will usually use a separate bag so everything fits.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I didn't vote because there is no "it depends" option.  Most of the races I travel to are by car, so it depends generally on the weather.  If it's a warm season and race clothes are minimal, they go in the bag with the other warm-season clothes that don't take up as much space.  If it's cold and the off-running hours will require jeans and sweat shirts, I will usually use a separate bag so everything fits.

I currently only travel by car. We have two large gym bags (I like gym bags), one for DH and one for me and my son's needs so I have to always have a separate bag for my race gear abd post race needs.  I only travel for distances of 13.1 soon to be +. 

PRs