Beginners and Beyond

Tepid Tuesday Penguins (Read 26 times)

PADRunner

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

PADRunner

RD for me today.

on my way to badass

Morning PAD and Penguins! 3 done this morning.

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  7 with MP to HMP progression miles at the end.

Hubby's car was broken into while at dinner last night, so I might have to help him drive him or fixing the car.  Still at the office, so hopefully he took care of that himself.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins! Well, I skipped my walk this morning, as I slept through my alarm twice. I slept through it the first time, and woke up to realize it was too late to get out for my walk. So I reset it for my normal wake-up time, and slept through it again. DH finally came and woke me up -- he'd gotten up with the dog at the first alarm and fed him breakfast, but then they both fell asleep on the couch. So he missed his run too!! I'm pondering doing it at work today, but it would have to be in jeans at 90+ degrees, without a hat, so I'm thinking maybe no. Quartet rehearsal tonight!

PAD -- enjoy your RD!!

Stone -- woo-hoo for your 3!!

Docket -- sorry about DH's car!! Have a good progression run!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Philliefan33

Good morning!  I haven't checked in lately -- I got busy with other things for a while.

PAD -- Enjoy the RD

SF -- Good job getting done early.

DR -- That stinks.  Did DH lose anything of value?  What a hassle!  Oh, and good going on the 7 miles.

We've got the three H's here today (hazy/hot/humid), so for a change of routine I plan to use the TM at the gym after work.  I'm shooting for 3-4 miles of iPod fartleks.

We leave tomorrow to visit family in the Willamette Valley (Portland / Salem area of OR).  There's a wedding and a baby shower (different nieces) and a few other get-togethers planned.  I should have time to run so I'm bringing some gear.

Philliefan33

HM -- you snuck in on me.  You must have needed the sleep more than some exercise.  I don't recommend a sweaty, uncomfortable walk at work today.  Maybe some stretches in your office instead?

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Up at 5 a.m. today, at the Y by 6 a.m. and out on the trails and roads.  Dang, it was nasty, we almost had Miami weather!  Upper 70s at 6 a.m., humidity of 90 percent, dewpoint around 75, sheesh.  Sweating like crazy for my whole outing.   Even so, I felt pretty good and ended up doing a run/walk of 50 minutes/4.4 miles, so I got my 'long run' for the week done.

Happy RD, PAD!

3 done already, StoneFence?  You were up early!

Sorry about your DH's car window getting busted, Damaris.  Does he know  a good car doctor? 

Well, HsM, you could always walk home from quartet practice.  That would probably give you a nice long walk.

Safe trip, Margo!  Weather out there should be cooler for you, hopefully.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

obiebyke

Good morning! I didn't do my 30 minutes after all yesterday. Planning to do them today.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Singer who runs a smidge

Well, HsM, you could always walk home from quartet practice.  That would probably give you a nice long walk.

Yeah, since it's about 75 miles!!  And that's if I could walk on the interstate, so it would only take me ... um ... days!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens.

8 miles done. I mixed in some 800 intervals and mile repeats and my legs are tired. Back to the World Cup today. Come on Deutschland!

PAD: enjoy the day off.

SF: well done. How is OFS?

D: sorry to hear about the car. People are a-holes.

HsM: 90 and jeans!? No thank you.

PF: enjoy your time in OR. No sales tax AND they pump your gas for you. Smile

Scotty: good work getting it done in that muck. Nice early day for you.

Obie: no skipping workouts! You need to be ready for your next HM! Wink

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Sorry about Hubby's car, DR.  Did you ever get yours fixed?  You should move to Chicago, no crime here.

5 miles for us on the bike path.  Knees felt okay, so we sped up with negative splits ending at 10:01.  Icing now (on the deck...surprise).  Hopefully I will be able to walk the stairs forward when I go up for my shower.

Uneventful run, except the trailers for the Budweiser Clydesdales were at the stable on our path.  Actually they were probably for the carriages. Didn't see any carriages or clydesdales.  DW tried a picture, but she is a technodufus like me.

Have a safe trip Margo.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Jack - That 5k you ran in the heat was still fast in my book.

D -People who brake into cars are the worst.  I've confronted a couple.  It never ends well.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

obiebyke

All right, all right. I did my 30 minutes. Why did that feel so hard? Back at it. I also uploaded my Garmin so I could see my splits from my HM. Uh. You can tell where that hill was...

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

hog4life

Damaris, sorry to hear about hubby's car.

90 minutes on the TM=9.78 miles.