Beginners and Beyond

Super SATURDAILIES (Read 58 times)

LRB

20 miles at 7:24 pace (OMG!). This is what happens when you run your LR with a 1:05 HMer and a 2:44 FMer!

Okay so now I look stupid!

See what I meant was...I mean I was trying to say um....aw fuck it, just do your thang and I'll just shut the frack up from here on out!

Zelanie

Luke- You'll do great, I'm sure!  I had my first 11 miler yesterday and really once you've run 10, you know you can keep it up for another mile, right?

I'm supposed to do 11 miles easy tomorrow, which will be a distance PR.  Oh LAWD!

delicate flower

So, can I start lobbying for you to run a race? Any race. Because I think you are ready to knock one out of the park.

I agree.  Heidi needs to run a race.  Not for her, but for us.  We all want to see what she can do.  She owes it to us!!  Big grin

<3

runmomto3boys

So, can I start lobbying for you to run a race? Any race. Because I think you are ready to knock one out of the park.

Thanks, Scrape.  I've got three marathons that I am registered for - Green Bay in May, Lakefront in October and Route 66 in November.  No short stuff for this girl.  I'm pretty sure I could've held pace on that 6:21 tempo for another 1.2, to run a 10K at that distance.  That predicts a 3:05 FM.  Today's run if I held pace for another 10K would've given me a 3:14 finish.  I don't think I will actually hit those finish times in the Spring, but I am strongly considering bagging my 3:25 goal and going with something a hair faster now. I will see how much I progress over the next 3 months before my race, and see if for some reason today's run was a fluke. 

LRB: I know I shouldn't have run it as fast as I did, but this one run isn't going to hurt me.  I am 15 weeks out from my race yet and the fact that I nailed 7:24 pace for 20 miles is a huge confidence booster for a not-so-confident girl.  It's kind of worth its weight in gold in that way, you know?  Now I have more of an idea of what I might be capable of as I train this cycle.  I never, ever would've fathomed that I could run this fast for 20 miles if you would've asked me this yesterday.  So, yes, I know I should stick to the plan and I plan on doing so from here on out.  This one deviation?  So worth it!

Chairman

I agree.  Heidi needs to run a race.  Not for her, but for us.  We all want to see what she can do.  She owes it to us!!  Big grin

When she starts winning races, we can all live vicariously through Heidi.

Coalition for a Free and Independent New Jersey

Chairman

Thanks, Scrape.  I've got three marathons that I am registered for - Green Bay in May, Lakefront in October and Route 66 in November.  No short stuff for this girl.  I'm pretty sure I could've held pace on that 6:21 tempo for another 1.2, to run a 10K at that distance.  That predicts a 3:05 FM.  Today's run if I held pace for another 10K would've given me a 3:14 finish.  I don't think I will actually hit those finish times in the Spring, but I am strongly considering bagging my 3:25 goal and going with something a hair faster now. I will see how much I progress over the next 3 months before my race, and see if for some reason today's run was a fluke. 

Oh Heidi, I have no doubt you can do 3:14. Because if you can't, you would not be doing the runs you have been doing with such ease. The only thing that could cost you a 3:05 or better is n00b mistakes. Which is why you should race. New runners get better at racing by racing. And racing under distance is actually great marathon preparation.

Coalition for a Free and Independent New Jersey

LRB

LRB: I know I shouldn't have run it as fast as I did, but this one run isn't going to hurt me.  I am 15 weeks out from my race yet and the fact that I nailed 7:24 pace for 20 miles is a huge confidence booster for a not-so-confident girl.  It's kind of worth its weight in gold in that way, you know?  Now I have more of an idea of what I might be capable of as I train this cycle.  I never, ever would've fathomed that I could run this fast for 20 miles if you would've asked me this yesterday.  So, yes, I know I should stick to the plan and I plan on doing so from here on out.  This one deviation?  So worth it!

Absolutely!  I did the exact same thing only for 18 miles while training for Charlevoix.  It's just funny how my post came right before yours lol!

No harm no foul, but you know that already.

Docket_Rocket

I agree in part, but remember, running like this (with tempos, MPs, back to back and LRs and your mileage), you're increasing the risk of getting injured.  Just don't repeat every day.  Or suffer my whip! Joking

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Mmmmm...beer

Logged 4.9 more miles running to the shop to pick up the car, 11.5 total for the day.  Smile

Came very close to seriously injuring myself, stepped right into an open pipe on the side of the road.  It was big enough that my whole size 13 foot went right in, luckily I saw it at the last second and was able to shift my weight enough to just bang the shit out of my shin on the opening of the pipe, instead of my leg going deeper into the pipe and my 7:30/mile momentum carrying my 185lb self forward until something snapped, damn Newton and his laws.  So here I sit on the couch, leg elevated with an ice pack on it, yay.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

Or suffer my whip! Joking

You say that like it's a bad thing.....

Wink

Tom (formerly known as PhotogTom)

5K - 25:16, 10K - 55:31,  15K - 1:20:55,   HM - 1:54:54

runmomto3boys

Scrape: You know what - that is such a great point, actually about the racing.  My inexperience at racing cost me some time in Des Moines, without a doubt.  I hate to train all this time / this hard only to give up some minutes in Green Bay for the same reason.  I am going to have to really think about that some.  Thanks for mentioning it!  I appreciate the kind vote of confidence re: winning races, but you are nuts!

Damaris: I am running two recovery days in a row now.  A family obligation led to me swapping my LR and recovery runs around this weekend and that ordinarily does not happen.  I am feeling fine - no issues/pain/aches at all.  I will run nice and easy the next couple of days, promise!

Phil: Awww, thank you!  I am just waiting anxiously for you to get back on your feet so you can start kicking some tail again!!

LRB: Very funny indeed!  I am glad you understand/feel the same way!

D2: Oh my freaking GOSH!  I'm so happy you aren't in worse shape right now.  Holy hell.  You could've really broken something, especially considering the speed you were running at.

Mmmmm...beer

RMT3B, when I spotted the pipe, the first thought I had was, "I'm about to break my leg".  I don't know how I managed to not break anything, my foot was already completely inside the pipe, somehow I got my left leg swung forward and was able to get my weight on it so I could pull my right leg out of the pipe before it went any deeper, smacked my shin about six inches above my foot.  Feeling very lucky at the moment.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

YAYpril - B-Plus

Heidi, you could make some serious cash winning local races. Just think about it. It could help fund your running. Big grin

Dave, UGH. Ow. I'm glad you're okay and that no serious damage was suffered.

runmomto3boys

RMT3B, when I spotted the pipe, the first thought I had was, "I'm about to break my leg".  I don't know how I managed to not break anything, my foot was already completely inside the pipe, somehow I got my left leg swung forward and was able to get my weight on it so I could pull my right leg out of the pipe before it went any deeper, smacked my shin about six inches above my foot.  Feeling very lucky at the moment.

Incredibly lucky!  I'm not even kidding you.  Holy smokes.  Phew.

April: I like the way you think!

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Just adding my name to the list of people that agree.

I ran my 5k this morning, in some super snowy/icy gunk.  It was fun though.  I threw a little RR on the main forum with a couple pics.  Yes, that's my shameless ploy to make you read it lol.

D2the2nd...scary stuff!  glad you survived it.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn